Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to overclock my DDR2 ram?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 26, 2010 3:24:16 AM

I am pretty confused at the moment on how to overclock my 2 sticks of ram. They are mixed memory sizes but the same model and speed (KVR667D2N5 @ 667 1GB+2GB)

Can someone explain to me the proper way on how to overclock DDR2 ram through the motherboard? I have an GA-MA770-UD3, and a AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition CPU @ 4.00Ghz.

What do I have to increase? The last time I tried to overclock my 2 sticks of ram my computer would not post, the monitor would show no signal and I could hear the computer restart multiple times. How do I overclock properly, someone help please? :) 

More about : overclock ddr2 ram

January 26, 2010 4:08:50 AM

I just looked at one of the Overclocking Memory guides, and im wondering.. is my problem the voltage? Because I tried to get from 667 (333Mhz) to 800 (400Mhz) in one quick gain... should I do it casually and when it fails to boot/post, remove battery from mobo to reset BIOS and increase voltage? (rinse and repeat?)
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 26, 2010 5:36:29 AM

Dont waste your time overclocking the ram, performance gains are minimal....

If you already have a 2Gb stick the best option would be to get the same exact module for a total of 4Gb.

When you have mixed modules the speed defaults to the slowest stick, making it useless to overclock. With 2x 2Gb you have more headroom and you can play with the timings more efficiently.
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 26, 2010 12:55:48 PM

Yes, waste of time.
When you get the money, buy a cheap, decent set of 1066mhz, 2 stick- 4 gig kit.
Look for memory with tight timings, and low voltage, and you will be fine.
But you are not going to see a huge difference. With memory, the main thing is having enough. Memory speed shows up in benchmarks, but it is hard to tell any difference in real life, as memory is pretty fast compared to other parts of your system. It is not usually a bottleneck no matter what speed it is running.
m
l
January 26, 2010 11:16:48 PM

jitpublisher said:
Yes, waste of time.
When you get the money, buy a cheap, decent set of 1066mhz, 2 stick- 4 gig kit.
Look for memory with tight timings, and low voltage, and you will be fine.
But you are not going to see a huge difference. With memory, the main thing is having enough. Memory speed shows up in benchmarks, but it is hard to tell any difference in real life, as memory is pretty fast compared to other parts of your system. It is not usually a bottleneck no matter what speed it is running.

I know that, and I don't have a bottleneck.. im trying to overclock so that I don't have to spend a dime on some 1066s, but I am looking forward to OCz Platinum 2x2GB 1066 Sticks. By the way, even though I am mixing ram, they are practically the same modules with difference sizes. (I have a 1GB and a 2GB both Kingston 667Mhz ram).
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 26, 2010 11:31:03 PM

arcticking said:
I know that, and I don't have a bottleneck.. im trying to overclock so that I don't have to spend a dime on some 1066s, but I am looking forward to OCz Platinum 2x2GB 1066 Sticks. By the way, even though I am mixing ram, they are practically the same modules with difference sizes. (I have a 1GB and a 2GB both Kingston 667Mhz ram).

Don't buy 1066Mhz unless they are low voltage like jtpublisher suggested, I have tested about 4-5 different sets and to be honest the only one that worked on an AMD based system was the OCZ low voltage modules at 1.8v 5-5-5-15 1066Mhz. The AMD memory controller cannot handle modules over 1.9v. I learned the hard way instead of researching prior to the build, it was on the QVL list and I even called tech support to make sure, they said hell YA!! 1066Mhz 2.1v and you will be flying!!!!! all i got was a series of BSODS and the only way to get a stable system was to lower the frequency to 800Mhz 1.8/1.9v depending on what ram I used.

I would recommend either the 1066Mhz low volt or a set of G.Skill or Mushkin 800Mhz.... Make sure the ram that you buy is on the manufacturers QVL list ;) 
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 27, 2010 12:59:00 AM

arcticking said:

Since you know so much already, I am going to tell you something so you will know even more.
You cannot overclock 667mhz memory to 1066mhz. It just ain't happening.
I am running a 4 gig set of Crucial, 1066, 1.9 volts, and it boots and worked perfectly, even set its self up correctly from the very first boot. Did not have to do a thing.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 27, 2010 1:36:57 AM

arcticking said:

You cannot overclock your ram to insane speeds, that is what jt is trying to explain, you want more speed you need a new set of ram... forget about overclocking anything...

You need these :

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-PC2-8500-Platinum-Voltage-OCZ...

or these :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

both work on your board ;) 

I have a set of both, the 1066Mhz dont overclock much farther than 1105Mhz at 1.8/1.9v, the blue G.Skills will achieve around 960Mhz at 1.8v
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 197 K Overclocking
January 27, 2010 7:52:39 PM

Sigh.

There ain't no such thing as DDR2-1066 RAM. Got your attention now, yes? :) 

DDR2-1066 RAM is simply DDR2-800 RAM that has been tested to run at the higher speed, usually at an increased voltage and more relaxed timings.

m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 27, 2010 8:16:53 PM

jsc said:
Sigh.

There ain't no such thing as DDR2-1066 RAM. Got your attention now, yes? :) 

DDR2-1066 RAM is simply DDR2-800 RAM that has been tested to run at the higher speed, usually at an increased voltage and more relaxed timings.

Agreed but he is trying to get the most out of a new set of ram (if he decides to purchase) and the best option would be the low volt 1066Mhz modules... He is not really going to see much of an increase if he goes from 667 to 800mhz unless he decides to overclock them a bit...

m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 28, 2010 1:51:50 AM

My memory was actually 1200mhz DDR2 :kaola: 
Yeah, I know I know.
m
l
January 28, 2010 2:53:23 AM

OvrClkr said:
Don't buy 1066Mhz unless they are low voltage like jtpublisher suggested, I have tested about 4-5 different sets and to be honest the only one that worked on an AMD based system was the OCZ low voltage modules at 1.8v 5-5-5-15 1066Mhz. The AMD memory controller cannot handle modules over 1.9v. I learned the hard way instead of researching prior to the build, it was on the QVL list and I even called tech support to make sure, they said hell YA!! 1066Mhz 2.1v and you will be flying!!!!! all i got was a series of BSODS and the only way to get a stable system was to lower the frequency to 800Mhz 1.8/1.9v depending on what ram I used.

I would recommend either the 1066Mhz low volt or a set of G.Skill or Mushkin 800Mhz.... Make sure the ram that you buy is on the manufacturers QVL list ;) 

Not necessarily true as my motherboard's memory compatibility list says its compatible with 2.0-2.2V RAMs. BSODS also aren't always associated with RAM. It can be your drivers, your video card, CPU, and heat.
So I am skeptical about what you have said right now..

EDIT: I am also looking towards the G-Skill 6400 / 8500 (800-1066Mhz) DDR2 RAM. OCz has a heatspreader but more voltages and higher timings on their RAM, while G-Skill has the opposite. (I live in Canada, BC and im looking at a site called NCIX.com)
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 28, 2010 3:52:14 AM

arcticking said:
Not necessarily true as my motherboard's memory compatibility list says its compatible with 2.0-2.2V RAMs. BSODS also aren't always associated with RAM. It can be your drivers, your video card, CPU, and heat.
So I am skeptical about what you have said right now..

EDIT: I am also looking towards the G-Skill 6400 / 8500 (800-1066Mhz) DDR2 RAM. OCz has a heatspreader but more voltages and higher timings on their RAM, while G-Skill has the opposite. (I live in Canada, BC and im looking at a site called NCIX.com)

It's not my drivers, not the GPU and sure as hell not the heat either. Right now my CPU is at 3.9Ghz and the idle temp is 27c, mu GPU idles at 40c w/ 40% fan speed. And i have 4 120mm 2,500 RPM fans and a single 140mm making sure all my hardware stays at lower than normal temps. I have been doing this since the early 90's so the voltage issue with AM2/AM2+ is nothing new. I have 3 different AMD boards 1 with an nvidia chipset and 2 of them with an SB710/SB750... All 3 boards cannot reach 4Ghz on the CPU unless the frequency is lowered to 800Mhz and then raised again by the FSB, all of this has to be done at 1.9v or lower since the AM2/AM2+ controller cannot handle higher voltages. There are only a few boards that can achieve 1066Mhz but with looser timings and I prefer running my ram at 960Mhz 5-5-5-15 as opposed to 1066Mhz 6-6-6-18.

All 3 boards have the OCZ Platinum 1066Mhz 2.0/2.2 on the QVL list, I have tried this RAM on all 3 boards and it just aint happening... It's a no show unless you get the low voltage modules that I posted above.

This is a pic of the ram i am taking about. It has already passed more than 24hrs of torture tests and it has 0 errors.

don't believe me? Google it ;)  , and you will see hundreds of users complaining about this same issue....

Here, a few screenies just to give you an idea of temps and stability :o 

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/newidl...

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/06_2.p...

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/corete...

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/load38...

Heat :lol:  (no such thing)......

January 30, 2010 4:37:44 AM

OvrClkr said:
It's not my drivers, not the GPU and sure as hell not the heat either. Right now my CPU is at 3.9Ghz and the idle temp is 27c, mu GPU idles at 40c w/ 40% fan speed. And i have 4 120mm 2,500 RPM fans and a single 140mm making sure all my hardware stays at lower than normal temps. I have been doing this since the early 90's so the voltage issue with AM2/AM2+ is nothing new. I have 3 different AMD boards 1 with an nvidia chipset and 2 of them with an SB710/SB750... All 3 boards cannot reach 4Ghz on the CPU unless the frequency is lowered to 800Mhz and then raised again by the FSB, all of this has to be done at 1.9v or lower since the AM2/AM2+ controller cannot handle higher voltages. There are only a few boards that can achieve 1066Mhz but with looser timings and I prefer running my ram at 960Mhz 5-5-5-15 as opposed to 1066Mhz 6-6-6-18.

All 3 boards have the OCZ Platinum 1066Mhz 2.0/2.2 on the QVL list, I have tried this RAM on all 3 boards and it just aint happening... It's a no show unless you get the low voltage modules that I posted above.

This is a pic of the ram i am taking about. It has already passed more than 24hrs of torture tests and it has 0 errors.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/003-2.jpg

Ok, I see what you are talking about and I believe you but now I am confused about the reaching 4Ghz on the CPU part. Also, would 800Mhz ram be fine and then just overclock it to 960Mhz?
Planning on these 1.8-1.9V ones: http://ncix.com/products/index.php [...] re=G.Skill
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
January 30, 2010 4:47:24 AM

Get these :

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

they can reach between 920/960 depending on board, but don't expect earth-shattering results... like I said above, overclocking the ram won't yield much performance, lowering the timings and adjusting your ratio will give you more of a boost =)
m
l
January 30, 2010 8:01:19 AM

OvrClkr said:
Get these :

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

they can reach between 920/960 depending on board, but don't expect earth-shattering results... like I said above, overclocking the ram won't yield much performance, lowering the timings and adjusting your ratio will give you more of a boost =)

Yes, I will be getting those.. they are the exact same ones as in the link I put up from NCIX.com. Same models and everything.. But ok, thank you! :) 
m
l
January 30, 2010 8:01:33 AM

Best answer selected by arcticking.
m
l
!