vili19

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Hey guys great forum.

Just wondering which operating system should I go with to get the most ram. I have win xp pro at the moment and I can only use 2 gigs. I have done tons of reading and was told that x64 os's will enable me to use 4 gigs.

I have 4 x1gig pieces all the same as soon as I put my 3rd stick in computer restarts.

I also heard that Vista uses more memmory so installing 4 gigs will act the same as 2 gigs in xp, is it worth the extra 2 gigs?

Thanks

Depending on what's installed in the system, Windows XP can address over 3 GB of memory. If installing a 3rd module makes the system restart, then you have a hardware problem (bad or incompatible memory, not enough voltage, timings that are too aggressive, etc.)

Vista 64 can access all memory in a system as long as the motherboard supports memory remapping. If you have an older system, then Vista 64 still won't address more memory than Windows XP.

vili19

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Thanks for reply.

The system is a high end system. I found teh memory remaping and I enabled it and got 3 gigs to work, I guess I should switch to a x64 os to get more ram.

TRENDING THREADS