E5200 Core Temp Question

msal

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
Hi Everyone, and thanks in advance for the help :D (sorry for an essay, just trying to be as informative as possible!)

I am thinking about OC'ing for the first time, but I feel like my temperature readings I am getting may be inaccurate. I have NOT begun overclocking yet, so I'm running at stock speed (2.5GHz).

I get a constant temp of 37c and 39c for my two cores while idling. However, even on boot after a cold morning, I am still getting a reading of 37c and 39c right at startup with no fluctuation. At first, I assumed my temperature sensors were "stuck", as I have read elsewhere that this can happen. However, after running Prime95 for about an hour and a half, my temps slowly climbed their way from from only 39c to 42c (first core) and from 37c to 39c (second core).

My thoughts/Questions::
Is something wrong with my temp sensors, or do I just have a very small change in temps while running prime95? Could my sensors be stuck to a point, but once I get above a certain temperature they start working? i.e.: in reality I am getting an idle temp of around 30c on each core, and my sensors don't start reading accurately until I pass the 37/39c mark?

I realize that the e5200 can be overclocked very easily, so maybe (along with my ZALMAN beast of a fan/heatsink's help) I am just only getting a 2-3 degree increase when running on a full load....?

Also, is 39/37c a good idle temp?

Just another note, I used arctic silver 5 between the CPU/heatsink, and I'm pretty sure I applied the proper amount. Also, I tried speedfan, CoreTemp, and RealTemp, and they are all recording roughly the same temperature. I don't have temperature monitoring in my BIOS either BTW, so I can't try checking the temps from there.

Specs:
Motherboard: ECS g41t-m(2.0) --- Not the best for OC'ing I've heard, but I hope It'l get me to 3.3GHz or so.
CPU: Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz
CPU fan/heatsink: ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2GB DDR2 800 (1 stick of 2G RAM)
PSU: 650W Diablotek

I want to OC ASAP, but I don't want to burn out my CPU if it gets too hot :-/

thanks!

-Matt

Solution
I would say that those temps are pretty normal. If I were you I would try overclocking it just a litte (with 200-300Mhz or so) just to test if your sensors are working(since I see that you are not confident in their excellence. With this little overclock I doubt anything will happen to your cpu and at the same time the temps will probably raise.

W Craven

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I wouldn't worry about it myself as i have one also that the temps are stuck on it and never worked.. the way i see it , the cpu cost $65 so it's not like burning out a $300 i7 920 ..

Just much sure you have a darn good cooler as i ran mine at 3.87Ghz 24/7 stable and 12.5 x 310 = 1240 fsb / 1.40v in bios but i don't know about that power supply you have there... you need a better brand name like OCZ on something.

msal

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009

Figures, I didn't really look into it at all when buying that.. just read a whole thread of Diablotek bashing. My ZALMAN cooler should do the job, I don't plan on OC'ing too high. Not sure if I could with my MB anyways... But I don't really feel like having to pick up another CPU.. so if possible I would like to figure out if my sensors are busted or what.

I read somewhere to take a hairdryer to the heatsink, and see if your temp goes up?

I would say that those temps are pretty normal. If I were you I would try overclocking it just a litte (with 200-300Mhz or so) just to test if your sensors are working(since I see that you are not confident in their excellence. With this little overclock I doubt anything will happen to your cpu and at the same time the temps will probably raise.

Solution

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
I had an e5200 that behaved very similar to yours. It wouldn't read any cooler than about 40C no matter what. But under load, the temps readings over 40C acted normal. I ended up overclocking it to 3.7Ghz using an ACF7P.

msal

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009

Thanks for the suggestion--> Okay, I changed the Bus Speed to 220 (from 200), to OC to 2.75GHz. My core temps increased by 2 degrees each running prime95 (small FFT's), to about 43c and 41c. I take it this is fine then? I thought running prime95 alone would give me a huge change in temp, nvm if I was OC'ing. I am going to assume then that my sensors are working :sol:

I may have just not looked hard enough, but I can't see a way to alter my clock multiplier (currently 12.5x).... How far is "safe" to raise just my bus speed alone? Keep in mind I am still pretty new to this :D I've been reading different guides and everything, but I'm stilll a little confused. I know its good to keep a 1:1 ratio to your RAM, but this concept still has me a little lost... I should probably post a new thread for this, but figured I would ask anyways