My PC won't boot, motherboard mischief suspected!

tuxu

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
My PC is new.
it crashed and i got the blue screen that XP gives when there is an error, then my PC crashed.

i tryed to see if everything is connected properly (as the manual showes) and it was.

i've restarted again and my PC froze (frozen screen, frozen keyboard and frozen mouse)

the PC wouldn't start *normally* from here on.

now its might boot up and start but it is rare.

when it's starting it will freeze within a minute or so. it does not matter if it's in the BIOS screen, in Windows or still in the boot sequence, it will just freeze.

if it will not freeze, it will crash, but it freezes more often then it crashes.

when it's not starting and the boot fails it will do one of those things:

* Meny rapid beeps - manual says that it's a power supply problem, which i tried to solve by buying a new PSU (80%), it acts the same as with the old one.

* No beeps at all - gets power, doesn't send signal to the screen(like in sleep mode), all the leds on the MB are lit. Then repeat.
it's like the PC is braindead (pardon the metaphor) and only the vintelators are working.

* one beep (like a normal boot) - then it sends it self to reboot -or- just reset the PC by itself (turn off - turn on)

i have a GTX9800 which is also gigabyte and it seems to work fine so i would *not* assume that the screen doesn't get signal because of it.

I also know that HL2 and assassin creed can run on my PC on the highst definitions and looked fine on that exact hardware before it crashed, if that helps in anyway.

Thank you in advance.

*addendum*

I've noticed that when i leave the PC for some period of time (10 hours or so) it will beep once, boot-up ok and after that freeze up, when i try to restart it after the freeze it would exhibit the "brain-dead" behavior (* No beeps at all - gets power, doesn't send signal to the screen(like in sleep mode), all the leds on the MB are lit. Then repeat.).
Does this has anything to do with the battery?

thanks again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<b>Model Name</b> : GA-EP45C-UD3R(rev. 1.0)
--------------------------
<b>M/B Rev</b> : 1.0
<b>BIOS Ver</b> : ??
<b>Serial No.</b> :
<b>Purchase Dealer</b> : K.S.P. ltd.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<b>VGA Brand</b> : GIGABYTE <b>Model</b> : gtx9800+ 1gb
<b>CPU Brand</b> : Intel <b>Model</b> : Q9400 <b>Speed</b> : 2.66
<b>Operation System</b> : Win XP <b>SP</b> : 2
<b>Memory Brand</b> : OCZ <b>Type</b> : DDRII
<b>Memory Size</b> : 4GB <b>Speed</b> : 1066
<b>Power Supply</b> : 500 W

4GB (2 SLOTS) DDR-II 1066 (DUAL-CHAN)

BIOS: I cant remember what was my BIOS version however i do remember that its an AWARD BIOS.

bilbat

Splendid
Sounds like memory (or memory setting) problem. Once again: Best thing to do is strip your system down to: CPU, GPU, DVD, and one stick at a time of RAM in slot 1; download .iso of MemTest86+ http://www.memtest.org/ , burn a bootable cd, and boot and run it at least overnight, on each stick of RAM.

tuxu

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009

I am posting this from the PC that had the problem. :)

thx, i bought OCZ 2 Gb x2(4Gb in total) 1066Mhz and one of them was damaged.
you solved my problem and for that i am greatfull.
Thank you, I can start working now.