Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Final thoughts on $3000 gaming rig?

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 9, 2008 6:43:45 PM

Well, I have decided that it is time to replace my outdated computer and build a more advanced one. Since I already built my previous computer, I thought I would make this one more expensive.....anways here are the parts. Tell me what changes you would make =D

Case: Cosmos S http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Power Supply: Tagan 1100 watt http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: 780i Sli http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Processor: q6600 kentsfield http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Third party cooler: arctic cooling freezer 7 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Memory: 2x2 OCz pc 6400 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Sound Card: xfi http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

VIDEO CARD: Three 280 gtx SSC edition in tri-sli http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hard Drive: two 1tb caviar greens http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CD Drive: Lg blue ray drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Monitor: Acer 24" 1080p http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and some Arctic Silver 5



OK....how does that look? My main concern is if the three 280's will melt my case. I will not be watercooling anything.

EDIT: Yes, the Antec 900 and 1200 may be better but my old case was an antec 900 and I want something new for the sake of novelty.

October 9, 2008 6:54:27 PM

Sell your 15 what?
October 9, 2008 6:56:51 PM

why not wait for the gtx 300 series??
Related resources
October 9, 2008 6:59:08 PM

because after the 300 series comes out there will be something else to wait for
October 9, 2008 7:00:24 PM

Why Tri-Sli? A regular SLI setup actually runs better in most games.

I'd get a 1.8V ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... instead.

I'd also replace those caviar greens with the black versions http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For sound cards, I'd look into the HT Omega series which actually sounds equally good if not better than the Xi-Fi's (if you're an audiophile like me).

Get a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 or a Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer instead of the arctic freezer 7.
October 9, 2008 7:01:28 PM

ok i personally would skimp on the third gtx, go for a q9650, some decent ram so you can overclock.. you'd probably get better fps that way...

two 280gtx in sli should be more than enough for now, get a better heatsink for god sakes, that artic cooler will not be sufficient for that quad... get a xiggy or a true or something tbh

monitor looks good

artic silver? 3grand you can rpobably get your hands on something better like liquid metal or some ic7

1100watts? if it suits you, hey why not.

one blue ray drive? i would personally get a second dvd drive just for the additional speed

ill be brutally honest, for 3 grand, it looks like your picked a bunch of garbage
October 9, 2008 7:05:09 PM

eklipz330 said:
ok i personally would skimp on the third gtx, go for a q9650, some decent ram so you can overclock.. you'd probably get better fps that way...

ill be brutally honest, for 3 grand, your getting garbage.


^LOL brutal indeed
October 9, 2008 7:08:55 PM

A Pair of 4870x2 would be cheaper and faster in most games.
The Money saved could get you a much better CPU that is less likely to bottleneck the system. The Q9650 would be a good option.
October 9, 2008 7:09:09 PM

If your not stuck on sli, i'd look at going with a x38 or x48 mobo and going with a 4870 (or 4870x2) your performance will be close if not better on most things. also definately spring for a newer quad like the 9550 0r 9650
October 9, 2008 7:12:21 PM

Replace the 3 280 gtx SSC with two GTX 260 Core 216 SC
Replace the Q6600 with Q9550
Replace the AC Freezer 7 Pro with Zerotherm ZEN FZ120 cpu cooler
Replace the Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound with Arctic Cooling MX-2 or OCZ Freeze

Downgrade the PSU to 1000W and upgrade the sound card

What keyboard and mouse are you going to be using?
October 9, 2008 7:18:20 PM

NEW LIST




Case: Cosmos S http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811119150


Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Motherboard: 780i Sli http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813188024


Processor: q9550yorkfield http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Third party cooler:sunbeam core contact http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Memory: 2x2 mushkin http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

VIDEO CARD: two 280 gtx SSC edition in tri-sli http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814130368


Hard Drive: one 1tb caviar black http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6822136151


CD Drive: Lg blue ray drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6827136133


Monitor: Acer 24" 1080p http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6824009154
October 9, 2008 7:24:03 PM

ok hold on let me explain why q9650 than the q9550

you get the extra .5 multi, might not seem alot, but it's better than no extra multi

its stock 3.0ghz

and by far the best reason has to be that ITS GUARANTEED A E0 STEPPING!!![runs cooler, and i think lower VID, better for overclocking WHICH YOU BETTER BE DOING IF YOUR SPENDING THAT KINDA MONEY]

like seriously, its the best choice before a extreme edition... i would get it if i had money
October 9, 2008 7:25:40 PM

Looks a lot better, but the 280GTX SSC's are not worth the money.
October 9, 2008 7:29:46 PM

Need mx-2 thermal compound

You dont want to go with dual 4870x2 ?

Cosmos s
gigabyte x48 dq6
Q9550
sunbeam core contact heatsink
mushkin 2*2 ram (pc8500 get some overclocking in)
dual 4870x2 crossfire
1tb caviar black
lg blue ray
24 inch monitor
mx-2 thermal contact
October 9, 2008 7:33:38 PM

Nehalem is out pretty quick... If at all possible I would wait for it.
October 9, 2008 7:40:04 PM

Hmm, what can I say that hasn't already been said?

Well, the thing that bothers me the most of your build is that you went with that powersupply instead of say... Corsair's CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX which is much cheaper and just as good if not better. Are funky lights really worth all that extra cash? I think not.
I would also recommend a single or dual HD4870X2 setup over your current pick.
October 9, 2008 7:40:07 PM

Right on the money WR2. I like all your suggestions except for the thermal compund. AS5 is just as good as MX-2 and better than OCZ Freeze.
October 9, 2008 7:40:52 PM

grieve said:
Nehalem is out pretty quick... If at all possible I would wait for it.

+1
October 9, 2008 7:42:20 PM

I like the titanium sound card by creative and the corsair 1000HX PSU.
October 9, 2008 7:50:08 PM

ragsters said:
Right on the money WR2. I like all your suggestions except for the thermal compund. AS5 is just as good as MX-2 and better than OCZ Freeze.
Both MX-2 and OCZ Freeze are non-conductive and don't have a curing period. I know for certain that MX-2 is easier to use than AS5. They're all very good in thermal performance so its the little things that set them apart IMO.
HardwareLogic Thermal Compound Round-Up
October 9, 2008 7:51:49 PM

Trialsking said:
+1 to the dual 4870x2. Although this is not definitive, check out Tom's review of 3 high end systems, 1 with dual 4870x2's, 1 with 2 280 GTX's and and 1 with 3 280GTX's:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Blackbird-Falcon-No...

Dual 4870x2's owned in that review.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Blackbird-Falcon-No...

"Looking back at the gaming benchmarks, it appears that the Falcon Northwest Mach 5’s pair of HD 4870 X2s are often capable of beating three GTX 280 graphics cards"
October 9, 2008 7:59:00 PM

The case is good, great ventelation. I'm not big on the idea of having a 3k budget and going with an EVGA board. You know, for the same price as that EVGA board you can go with

ASUS P5N-T Deluxe
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For a little more you could go with
ASUS P5N72-T Premium
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Which comes with the "SupremeFX II audio" card so you would actually save money since you could use that instead of the Xi-Fi. I'm not really too fond of the Xi-Fi's, so if you really wanted a separate audio card then you should think about going with the ASUS Xonar. You should also consider going with a Wolfdale based Quad Core. The Q6600 is a good CPU for a budget system, but if you're spending this much money go with at least a Q9000 series CPU and overclock it. The newer Wolfdale cores are faster clock per clock and overclock better than the older models.

By the way, it's already been suggested, but I'd say go with two 4870X2s instead and an X48 board.
October 9, 2008 8:18:48 PM

Everytime I read a thread like this one the first thing that comes to mind is a great big BS.
ispy needs to open a fertilizer factory.
October 9, 2008 8:30:13 PM

If I had to drop 3 grand on a PC, I'd at least get a 30" monitor. That way it will have some value in 5 years when everything else is totally outdated.
October 9, 2008 11:57:23 PM

Ispy- if your favorite is SLI config, don't know if what I have will help.

In process of building a new gaming rig. Its parts:

Asus Rampage Formula MB
q9550 - an outstanding value!
8 gigs Mushkin XP Ascent
PC Power&Cooling Turbo 860 watt PSU-pay a top premium over 1000watts- and even with 4870x2(single) you got plenty power with an 860 watt PSU
1-Sapphire Radeon 4870x2
Zalman CNPS 9700 CPU cooler.
WD Caviar 1 TB HD
Coolermaster Cosmos 1000RC tower case
4 Scythe SFLex case fans
Vista Ult 64 bit
Asus DVD
Hauppage Win-TV tuner
Logitech G11keyboard, MX518 mouse
Silverstone card reader
"28 HannsG monitor-another excellent value.

per a gamer friend who has this config, all games, Crysis with all eye candy on, play flawless.

out the door with shipping figure 3100-3200. Best of luck on your build.
October 9, 2008 11:59:57 PM

Yea for $3k your not getting a hell of a lot. I'd go for the Q9650 rather then the 9550 because as eklipz330 said the extra multi really does make OC'ing that much easier.
October 10, 2008 12:48:25 AM

i personaly would wait for the new line of processors on jan 9th because there is a rumor that they will be clocked at 4.4ghz stock and be faster than a 5ghz kentsfield, or just do exactly like i did with 3k and go for a system that can handle the change to the processor, a good motherboard that suppors it is the asus m3a79-t deluxe, another thing i would change is you could save some money by instead of going with a tri sli just go for 2 4870 x2's its a nice investment because the card is not utilizing all of it's potential power and it still kicks ass, plus you know that when they activate the crossfire chip instide of them between the 2 cores there will be an amazingly huge performance boost.
my setup

asus m3a79-t motherboard
16g ram gskill
2x 4870x2
ninja 2 heatsink, should have gone with a coolit system
abs monolith case with 2 added ultra kaze fans
sliverstone 1200 watt zues
1tb western digital (i don't need fast startup speeds because i can wait less than a minute)
amd phenom 9950 oc'd to 3ghz
and it runs sweet except for vista home premium
linux and everything else amazingly fast
i have not been able to slow it down at all. crysis at full settings and full anti-aliasing

plus now i can wait untill jan 9th and then get an amazingly good processor that oc's easiely because it is the fx chipset.

happy hunting and happy gaming
July 1, 2013 1:20:42 AM

1dude1 said:
i personaly would wait for the new line of processors on jan 9th because there is a rumor that they will be clocked at 4.4ghz stock and be faster than a 5ghz kentsfield, or just do exactly like i did with 3k and go for a system that can handle the change to the processor, a good motherboard that suppors it is the asus m3a79-t deluxe, another thing i would change is you could save some money by instead of going with a tri sli just go for 2 4870 x2's its a nice investment because the card is not utilizing all of it's potential power and it still kicks ass, plus you know that when they activate the crossfire chip instide of them between the 2 cores there will be an amazingly huge performance boost.
my setup

asus m3a79-t motherboard
16g ram gskill
2x 4870x2
ninja 2 heatsink, should have gone with a coolit system
abs monolith case with 2 added ultra kaze fans
sliverstone 1200 watt zues
1tb western digital (i don't need fast startup speeds because i can wait less than a minute)
amd phenom 9950 oc'd to 3ghz
and it runs sweet except for vista home premium
linux and everything else amazingly fast
i have not been able to slow it down at all. crysis at full settings and full anti-aliasing

plus now i can wait untill jan 9th and then get an amazingly good processor that oc's easiely because it is the fx chipset.

happy hunting and happy gaming


holy shit man, definitely wait til the 300 series comes out, gonna be hectic
July 1, 2013 1:33:04 AM

superdonny67 said:
1dude1 said:
i personaly would wait for the new line of processors on jan 9th because there is a rumor that they will be clocked at 4.4ghz stock and be faster than a 5ghz kentsfield, or just do exactly like i did with 3k and go for a system that can handle the change to the processor, a good motherboard that suppors it is the asus m3a79-t deluxe, another thing i would change is you could save some money by instead of going with a tri sli just go for 2 4870 x2's its a nice investment because the card is not utilizing all of it's potential power and it still kicks ass, plus you know that when they activate the crossfire chip instide of them between the 2 cores there will be an amazingly huge performance boost.
my setup

asus m3a79-t motherboard
16g ram gskill
2x 4870x2
ninja 2 heatsink, should have gone with a coolit system
abs monolith case with 2 added ultra kaze fans
sliverstone 1200 watt zues
1tb western digital (i don't need fast startup speeds because i can wait less than a minute)
amd phenom 9950 oc'd to 3ghz
and it runs sweet except for vista home premium
linux and everything else amazingly fast
i have not been able to slow it down at all. crysis at full settings and full anti-aliasing

plus now i can wait untill jan 9th and then get an amazingly good processor that oc's easiely because it is the fx chipset.

happy hunting and happy gaming


holy shit man, definitely wait til the 300 series comes out, gonna be hectic


This is over 5 years old DO NOT BUMP OLD POSTS!!!!
July 1, 2013 1:43:30 AM

spat55 said:
superdonny67 said:
1dude1 said:
i personaly would wait for the new line of processors on jan 9th because there is a rumor that they will be clocked at 4.4ghz stock and be faster than a 5ghz kentsfield, or just do exactly like i did with 3k and go for a system that can handle the change to the processor, a good motherboard that suppors it is the asus m3a79-t deluxe, another thing i would change is you could save some money by instead of going with a tri sli just go for 2 4870 x2's its a nice investment because the card is not utilizing all of it's potential power and it still kicks ass, plus you know that when they activate the crossfire chip instide of them between the 2 cores there will be an amazingly huge performance boost.
my setup

asus m3a79-t motherboard
16g ram gskill
2x 4870x2
ninja 2 heatsink, should have gone with a coolit system
abs monolith case with 2 added ultra kaze fans
sliverstone 1200 watt zues
1tb western digital (i don't need fast startup speeds because i can wait less than a minute)
amd phenom 9950 oc'd to 3ghz
and it runs sweet except for vista home premium
linux and everything else amazingly fast
i have not been able to slow it down at all. crysis at full settings and full anti-aliasing

plus now i can wait untill jan 9th and then get an amazingly good processor that oc's easiely because it is the fx chipset.

happy hunting and happy gaming


holy shit man, definitely wait til the 300 series comes out, gonna be hectic


This is over 5 years old DO NOT BUMP OLD POSTS!!!!


dude i know i'm kidding, i just saw it and had a laugh because technology has evolved ridiculously fast
!