Gigabyte Extreme X58

Tags:
  • Gigabyte
  • Cases
  • CPUs
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
February 7, 2009 6:56:17 PM

Hey guys I just bought this board and I popped it in my case (without RAM or cpu or video card) and hooked it up to my power supply to see if my case fans and peripherals would work etc.. But anyways powered it on case fans work fine, but motherboard kept rebooting in 2 seconds intervals. So I then remove the the 12v ATX 8 pin connector and power it on and it stays on this time. Now I understand the 12v ATX 8 pin is important to power the CPU. Since there was no CPU installed could that explain the board restarting, or is there another more serious problem. PSU is a corsair TX 750 Watt.

More about : gigabyte extreme x58

a b à CPUs
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 7, 2009 8:54:17 PM

WTH?!?
February 7, 2009 9:34:50 PM

Very helpful response
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 8, 2009 12:17:21 AM

What response - what the &^%$ do you expect your MOBO to actually DO, with no CPU or RAM, and what with!?! The CPU executes the BIOS - I've seen some terminally dumb stuff on here, but this sets a new record, by at least an order of magnitude...
February 8, 2009 12:24:02 AM

Without a CPU or RAM you can still verify if your PSU works or if all the case fans work. That was my intention, it's not dumb, I'm simply asking if maybe the 12 volt 8 pin connector on my PSU might be defective. I want some insight, not harassment.
a b à CPUs
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 8, 2009 12:54:57 AM

You, indeed, need insight - way more than I can give you... The CPU, executing the BIOS code, runs the board's (and its own, as well) power regulation, through switching MOSFETS on command - once again, I ask, what do you expect it to do, but repeatedly try to start, which entails 'bootstarapping' itself into the BIOS, which it certainly can't do, seeing as there's no CPU!
Quote:
Without a CPU or RAM you can still verify if your PSU works or if all the case fans work.

Well, you've plugged it in, with no CPU or RAM - what, exactly, have you learned?!? NADA! That's why you're asking, and I'm telling you - there's nothing TO learn! Every coffee pot, and most car's driver's seats these days have their own CPUs, and without them, they're inert - boat anchors!
!