Corrupting Files on 'Healthy' Hard Drive and RAM - What Could it Be?

FieldMedic

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
I have 2 PCs which have been built with very similar hardware both running XP.

Specs:

* AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 3.1GHz Socket AM2 1MB L2 (2x512KB)
* Kingston 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Non-ecc CL5
* Seagate ST3250410AS 250GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache
* Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Socket AM2 Nvidia MCP55P PCI-E 8 Channel audio ATX Motherboard
* Innovision Geforce 7300LE 256MB DDR2 PCI-E Graphics Card
* Second Slave Hard Drive
* A DVD RW Drive and CDRW Drive

One PC has an old 450 Watt Power Supply
The other has a brand new 650W power supply:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/128675

Problem:

After working fine for a couple of months files started to randomly corrupt until one PC failed. The other PC followed a few weeks later with random files corrupting until the PC becomes unusable.

After reinstalling XP the same thing happens, and seems to be happening in a shorter and shorter time frame, from lasting a day, to now a matter of hours on the 4th reinstall.

I ran SeaTools both Short Test and Long Test but it said the drive passed.

I also Zero Filled the entire hard drive before doing a fresh reinstall but the problem still persisted with files quickly corrupting until XP wouldn't load. Also Zero filled with KillDisk and that went fine too.

It was not just XP files that corrupted but any random file on the hard drive was corrupting (but not on other slave hard drives or USB Drives).

I also suspected RAM so ran MemTest86+ overnight and it passed 21 tests.

So to sum up:

- Files Corrupting After fresh Installs
- RAM passed MemTest overnight Diagnostics
- Passed SeaTools long test and was Zero filled

What could this be? Someone told me to disable AHCI in the Bios as SeaGate drives dont support "native command queue" - however I can't find that option.

Any other ideas? Is the power supply enough?

Any help appreciated

edenrow

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
It could possibly be your sata controller or a bios update/reset. I had that problem b4 I ended up scraping the mobo because the SATA controller was causing the problem and I didnt want to put a pci/e card in since mobos are so cheap now. If you have another computer though switch the hard drives and ram and see if it does it on that mobo. If it doesnt you prob should replace your mobo. You can buy a controller card if you want so you dont use the mobos also. If the mobo already has one problem it will eventually take a crap on you anyway. Also try replacing SATA cable cheapest fix if it is that problem. Try BIOS RESET AND FLASH ETC..

both psus should be fine if they are still ok, and of good quality.

the only things I can come up with are:

Viral (are you installing AV software shortly after windows?)
SATA cables/ports, can you change cables or ports? (the slave drives could be used little enough that problems are not easily seen.)
1 memory stick at a time?

Are you using FAT or NTFS? (would be nice to know)

Temp in the case, it could be a heat issue (I doubt it though)
whats cooling like in the case, could be a north/south bridge overheat, can you check the mobo fans?
speed fan's view of voltages and temps might help.

Thats all for now...

FieldMedic

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009

I'd checked the BIOS version. I have the rev 2.0 version of the motherboard and the FF BIOS version. Since it is pretty up to date I have not tried updating it yet because I've never done it before - but may give it a go.

I doubt it is the cable since the problem is replicated across two (almost identical) PCs - it would seem extremely rare for two cables to randomly break and give these identical symptons.

FieldMedic

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009

I'm installing Avast after install and have done a boot check on all drives and it passes.

I doubt it is the cable since the problem is replicated across two (almost identical) PCs - it would seem extremely rare for two cables (or ports) to randomly break and give these identical symptons.

Have not tried this but with 2 sticks in on both machines thy both passed MemTest.

NTFS

CPU Temp: 35C
Hard Drive Temp when Using Long Test on SeaTools said Best 20C and Worst 44C on one machine - other machine was 30C worst.

Second Machine has much better fan setup and is very cool.

BIOS says voltages are okay.

Hope thats the info you needed :)

Nvidia RAID/SATA/IDE drivers are rubbish - try using stock microsoft windows ide drivers.

Also set everything in the bios manually (timings/speeds/ratios etc).

Avast is rubbish from what i have seen.

How did you validate that your ram and hdd are aok?

Seagate and NCQ??? They were one of the first to support it and iv been using it since day one on my rig (years ago now, first get NCQ drives - all aok)

FieldMedic

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009

I've got a second (older) Segate SATA drive as well which I can test it on as well as an IDE drive I could use.

The thing is though the problem can be intermittent and sometimes the PC can last a week or more before it gets problems so Id like to do some easier tests first.

edenrow

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Try the BIOS update. Also do what ainarssems said (good idea!). Also are your driver revisions up to date and or correct drivers. Also are you using sp2 or sp3 and or a slipstream copy. Have you tried burning another copy of xp. I know that AMD mobos are having problems with the bug and drivers. So you might want to try a fresh install and new drivers. If you are using the mobos original disc drivers then definately.

FieldMedic

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009

Got any further reading on this? How do I get the standard Microsoft Drivers - do I use those after install?

Thats way beyond my knowledge and if I have to do that to get the PC working properly I'd rather buy new hardware that is more stable.
Seatools and MemTest as I said above.

Where do I get NCQ drivers? I have drivers which come with the motherboard for Serial ATA (and can also get them from the Gigabyte website) but you said to use the stock windows drivers???

Thanks for your help and sorry if I'm a bit slow with this but a lot of it is new to me. First time I used SeaTools and MemTest was this week.

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
If the computer with the old 450W power supply is the one with the trouble, swap it out and use the new 650W from the other computer.

Also, it it is an old Antec 450W, it is your rail in that piece of crap that isn't giving your HDD enough juice.

I had this exact same problem 2 years ago, you'd do a fresh install and your files are buggered.

I am 99.9% sure this is the same problem that you are having. It was SO HARD to diagnose, thought it was HDD failing, mobo probs, SATA etc. Was just the crap PSU.

I learned my lesson, never skimp on the PSU!!!

FieldMedic

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009

Both PCs with the different PSU have the same problem.

FieldMedic

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009

I was using the disc that came with it but the drivers had not been updated for 2 yrs anyway and I only bought it a month ago so assumed the drivers were up to date.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2539

I can download the latest ones from the website above but not the SATA driver and use a Windows one instead - once I find out how to do that.

Using SP3.

I'm going to try another copy of XP to see what happens.

That's on my to do list of things to try - but lower down since I've never done it before and also it is not too out of date:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2539 - its the FF version.

edenrow

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
I have been rolling through the forums and this seems to be a very buggy mobo with AM2+ processors. Still though get a new set of drivers and a BIOS update.

FieldMedic

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009

Will get a new set of drivers but still confused about which Sata drivers to use from apache's comment...

Falken699 - He has the Identical problem on both computers. Although it's possibly issue, it would not be my first choice.

(1) try running orthos prime, or Prime 95 to stress test memory. I've seen a couple of posts where mem passed memtest86, but failled Orthos (my self included - Passed Memtest86+ but failed Orthos within 10 Min.)

(2) I don't think you answered the question about your Bios revision, Is it the latest. If not down load and update -PLEASE DO NOT used windows flasher.

Just a Point - Do not just use Bios to check voltages/temps. In the case of voltages - (1) does it state "OK", or list the Voltage. If just OK, then it could be on the boarderline. (2) in Bios you have minium load on the PSU - You need to check it UNDER load. IE using a program such as CPUID HDWaremonitor run Orthos prime, OR a 3D graphics program (I use Furmark or ATI Tools View 3D.

FieldMedic

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009

Prime95 is a windows program right?
I'll try it next time I install and report back.

That's on my to do list of things to try - http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2539 - its the FF version currently.

However, I have no idea how to do this so any links or info on how to do it would be great.

It says okay in BIOS.

So once I have XP installed again I should run this:
http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

and use programs that put the Pc under load right?

Will give that a go too. What reasings should I look for?

I see you opened a 2nd topic and got excellent response on how to update your bios. I looked on the gigabyte web site and for the 2 newer bios revisions they only indicate updates to cpu microcode. May not help your problem, BUT definately worth a try. They don't alway List the "BUG" Fixes - Bad PR value.

In reference to Voltages. Max delta is +/- 5 percent from Nominal value. Most "Good" PSUs will be with-in +/- 3 % UNDER Load. The Min for the + 5 V: MUST be above 4.75 V which is the Min for TTL Logic(CMOS logic is lower). +12 V should be above 11.4 V (Myself - do not like below 11.6 Again this is under load)

FieldMedic

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
I've updated BIOS, installed a 64bit version of Windows and I'll use HWMonitor and Primer32 to see how PC is acting under load.

I'll also install the drivers direct from the Gigabyte site. The LAN, Chipset and SATA Raid drive all come in one file so I have to use that driver package and as far as I know can't use the stock Windows IDE driver that apache was talking about.

FieldMedic

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Okay it has an option for SMBus Driver, Ethernet and Storage driver.

I'm leaving the SMBus and Storage Driver out - is that what I should do?

FieldMedic

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Okay I've installed a 64bit version of XP and used 64 bit drivers. I left out the Gigabyte SMBus and Storage Drivers.

Did some voltage tests using HW monitor - here are the results:

While running a Virus Scan:
Voltage sensor 0 1.52 Volts [0x5F] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage sensor 1 1.92 Volts [0x78] (DDR)
Voltage sensor 2 3.26 Volts [0xCC] (+3.3V)
Voltage sensor 3 5.03 Volts [0xBB] (+5V)
Voltage sensor 4 12.42 Volts [0xC2] (+12V)
Voltage sensor 7 5.00 Volts [0xBA] (+5V VCCH)
Voltage sensor 8 3.06 Volts [0xBF] (VBAT)
Temperature sensor 0 26°C (78°F) [0x1A] (TMPIN0)
Temperature sensor 2 31°C (87°F) [0x1F] (TMPIN2)
Fan sensor 0 1517 RPM [0x1BD] (FANIN0)

While Running Primer95 Tests:
Voltage sensor 0 1.57 Volts [0x62] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage sensor 1 1.92 Volts [0x78] (DDR)
Voltage sensor 2 3.25 Volts [0xCB] (+3.3V)
Voltage sensor 3 5.03 Volts [0xBB] (+5V)
Voltage sensor 4 12.29 Volts [0xC0] (+12V)
Voltage sensor 7 5.00 Volts [0xBA] (+5V VCCH)
Voltage sensor 8 3.06 Volts [0xBF] (VBAT)
Temperature sensor 0 26°C (78°F) [0x1A] (TMPIN0)
Temperature sensor 2 48°C (118°F) [0x30] (TMPIN2)
Fan sensor 0 2722 RPM [0xF8] (FANIN0)

Are the 12V results worrying? It has gone as high as 12.48 as well when I left it on for longer - but tends to stay around 12.29.

I'm running Primer95, doing a defrag on slave drive, and a CheckDsk Surface Scan on the main drive all at once right not and all voltages are staying in 3% range. CPU is at 45C and hard drives are at 42C.

Voltage/temps look OK. Might try running furmark to stress +12 V (But looks good as Only have about 0.13 volts diff. Do not know about Vcore as I have Intel E6400 OCed to 3.2 at 1.25Vcore.

As too drivers - Not sure, But I think you need storage

Faulty PSU's are hard to diagnose as it can differ with usage (eg heavy load issues, or cold start issues etc)

NCQ - dont chase it and dont worry about it for now

SMBus drivers are aok to install and not so much required

Storage Drivers - windows can use its standard/generic drivers fine, i dont trust nvidia storage drivers and rather the microsoft drivers for IDE/SATA.