HELP! 667 runnin at 800?!?

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
So I have PNY 5300 667 ram, 4 1gig sticks.. I got (2) 2gig sticks of random ram 6400's(800mhz?)..
So I took 2 of the 1's out, and put in the 2-2's, so I now have 6gig, the singles in the top two slots, the doubles in the bottom 2 slots..
Thing is, in the bios, still shows up as dual channel, which the pny's are, not sure of the generic sticks, but ya, uhh, my bios by default sets ram speeds to 800mhz, and the entire system seems to run fine, and memtest did 5+ passes last night with 0 errors...

I recall though attempting to OC the whole rig months ago, before I got the (2) 2gig sticks, and could NEVER get the ram to be stable above ~700mhz..

I'm not sure how to approach this, memtest and prime95 show no errors, and I'm pretty sure the pny's are indeed running at 800 (only 1 option in bios ;)), but ya..

Sure if it's really getting at these speeds for the 667's shorter life, BUT, anyone have a logical explanation for this? Thinking about turning off 'auto' for ram speed in bios, but just noticed this and it's really making me wonder...

MSI p7n platinum is the board..

-Edit:Just threw the 2 2's in by themselves and they appear to be single channel

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
I know how the bios works :p
Re-read my question...

But it doesn't matter anyways, I put the 4 back in, instead of the 6gb, just for the extra bandwidth..

I was just REALLY curious why all of a sudden it worked like that when I could never, and still can't, get anything stable with those dimms >720-740...