New Gigabyte MA78GM-S2H Has An Issue

hackerfoto

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Just replaced my old, dead board with this one. After install i'm getting a beep code for either the video card or power supply. I recently had my comp diagnosed and the vid card was fine. My PSU is 450W and the manual recommends 500W. Right now there is no video, only the beep. Any thoughts?
cpu - athlon x2 6400+
ram - 2x 1gb corsair 800mhz
gpu - ati radeonHD 3650 512MB GDDR2
HDD - 2x seagate 500GB
PSU - 450W

hackerfoto

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Any idea if a higher wattage PS will get this mother to POST?
All the fans run and i get the same beep even with the GPU out.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
At minimal that Power supply needs to go your really playing with fire on this one. That power supply doesn't meet minimal requirements and its low end power supply. If u continue to run it there a good chance you will end up frying everything in the computer (Might take a few weeks to a month but it will happen seen it so many times its scary). So yea replace the power supply then see if problem still exist if it does then go from there but you gotta get that fixed first. The power supply recommended above is a good high quality power supply for 59 dollars (after rebate if I am not wrong) so its gonna be the starting point other wise your on browed time even if it is something else.

PS don't mean to sound so negative but this comes from experience from my self and seeing others doing the same thing not to mention the system will run extremely unstable.

Did you hook up the second 4 pin power supply in the upper left hand corner of the board?
(Just got my GA-MA78GM-US2H and Phenom 920 yesterday, downloading drivers etc right now while I am typing this....everything seems fast and solid so far....had no problems what-so-ever........yet.......:) seems like it may be a decent board for the price)

hackerfoto

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Just heard back form GB support. They claim 400W is enough power to run the board.
All connections are good, still nothing. Looks like it's going back for RMA. Poopy.

hackerfoto

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Turns out the board is fine. I replaced my PSU with an antec 500W, replaced my RAM with 2 crucial ballistix 1gb sticks and (GASP!) it works! So far no troubles, runs like a dream.

I do have one new problem tho, I am unable to RAID my two 500GB seagate HDD's. Before I was mirroring the drives but now they both show up. Can this be done without reinstalling XP? Not a huge issue but it would be nice to have one as a backup again. Any thought?