Desperately Need to upgrade the PSU of my Inspiron 530s

jrvunleashed

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
OK, so I bought a Nvidia 9600 gt only to realize afterwards that the card requires a 400 watt power supply, and my computer only has 250 watts. After researching I learned the only power supplies that fit in the computer are 250 watt and 270 watt! What am I suppose to do? Can I get some sort of power supply that sits outside of my case? Or do I need a new case? If the latter, can anyone point me in the right direction of a larger case compatible with the inspiron 530s? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. I found this review on newegg of the card, and it says this:

"Whoops, forgot to mention in previous review, that 530S only has one spare SATA 5pin power connector. Had to buy SATA 5pin to 4pin MOLEX convertor and then a 4pin to 6pin convertor to power graphics card. Worked fine!"

Can someone translate this into english? This guy has my same computer so I need to figure out exactly what this guy bought so it will work.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20580

What makes you think a standard ATX power supply would be perfect for a slim line case ?

Visiontek makes 5.25 inch bay power supplies, I suppose you could set it on top and drill a hole for the cables, but that would be kind of ugly. ( there's only one 5.25 inch bay )

Not much you can do, other than use the adapters or opt for a video card that doesn't require external power.
I have learned that Seasonic makes a TFX unit that is more powerful ( 300 watts ) and fits the 540s, so should fit the 530s as well.
You would still need to use the molex to 6 pin adapter.
It's also rather expensive, cost the guy around $130 shipped.

lamprey_

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Several things you can do.

1) Buy a Tower and a new PSU and mirgrate everything over.
2) Buy an ATX PSU and have it sit outside. Remove the 250W PSU and have the cable going thru the opening.
3) Sell you Dell and buy another computer.
4) Sell your Graphic Card.
5) Have a Korean or Japanese friend and order a 450W TFX PSU from Asia.
6) Buy a Seasonic 300W (some people claims it have sufficient power, I doubt it.)

My choice would be 1 or 5.

lamprey_

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Oh, Dell claims that they have a 350W PSU for their Graphic Studio Slim Tower. You can try to ask Dell for that PSU.

middleagebozo

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
A bigger case and an ATX PSU would be best, especially with a 9600GT which consumes at least 95 watts,
but newegg has a seasonic 300W TFX which I wouldn't recommend unless you downgrade the GPU to a 9500GT. And, if you stay with the slim case, consider using an external ATX and installing a 60mm or maybe a 50mm fan where the old TFX outlet was, after of course removing it completely in favor of the ATX PSU(running wires through a fabricated opening in the case) and a fan.

The 9600 GT only consumes 60 watts of power
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gainward-bliss9600gt-512gs_7.html#sect0

In response to lamprey as well,
The Dell 300 watt power supply has shown to be plenty for a 9600 GT, a higher quality Seasonic 300 watt unit would certainly be able to handle it.

instant90

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009

What about dell's 250 watt psu? I have a vostro 220s slim power, was thinking about upgrading to 9600. I heard that dell's psu's are underrated and 250 would mean it's actaully 300, not sure if that's true.