Phenom 9850 overheating with Abit AX78

rmsilva1973

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I´m having serious issues with overheat (around 58-60 degrees on idle) with Phenom 9850 and abit ax78. Trying the same cpu on another mobo (from a friend) took the temp 20-30 degrees down.. I wonder if there´s a BIOS update or this mobo is ruined or it doesn´t support this cpu..

Thanks,

Renato

Mondoman

Splendid
BIOS v13 seems to be the latest, but since Abit is no longer in the MB business, you may be out of luck. You should also make sure that it's not a lack of proper case ventilation that is causing the problem by running the computer with the case side removed.

Namnar

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I'm having the same problem with a Phenom 9650 and an ABIT AN-M2HD Mobo. The CPU reports 60° at idle, with the clock freq @ 1/2 speed with cool & quiet enabled. This also matches the BIOS temp. When I monitor the core temps with Everest or Speedfan, the cores are around 38 - 40°. I was using the stock heat sink with Arctic Slver 5. i unseated it, cleaned and added new paste but the same result. I upgraded the heat sink to just a slightly better copper model but this only gave me a 2 - 3° difference in all temps. When I run the CPU at 100% (Video processing) The reported CPU temp gets to 88°, (The mobo shuts down at 90°) and the Everest core temps report 59°. I do not see any performance issues. I have the mobo bios to teh latest at Ver 20. I can revert back to 19 which is the earliest that supported the CPU. i havent tried that yet.

I sent an email with all of my test results to ABIT but got no response. I also spoke with AMD. The advice there was to esure that the heat sink has good paste and is seated correctly. Feel the bottom of the heat sink at idle. If it is hot to the touch then the reported temps may be real. Mine is not at idle. It is luke-warm. He then said to run the cpu at 100% for 10 minutes and feel it again. If the CPU is truly at 80°, it will be very hot to burning.

Other notes - The mobo also reports case temp and PWM temp which are 32° and 42° respectively, at idle.

TRENDING THREADS