Sign in with
Your question

Hdd click question

Last response: in Storage
March 14, 2010 5:52:28 PM

i got one of 2 dives out of m computer, one clicked constantly, but i got the data off it.

my question is, is it possible for a hard drive to make a loud notable click, not make it again, and not show up on the event viewer?

im asking this because my computer had 2 drives fail, i got the unstable one out, but there is still a more stable, but still failing drive in it, and the new hdd i put in could also be making clicks. but i dont even know if its hard drive related, as my room makes allot of noises, for no real reasons that i am able to find. its entirely possible its not in the computer (though my case does make noises every now and than)

i just want to know so i can have some piece of mind.

More about : hdd click question

a b G Storage
March 15, 2010 2:50:37 PM

Yes, it is common for drives to "click" and make various noises, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are going bad. The best means to test a drive's stability is to run an AdvSMART test using an HD diagnostic tool, as it can help to predict an imminent failure.
m
l
March 15, 2010 2:54:23 PM

the click im talking about is the harddrive just stopped working, reading anything and kept clicking.

i dont think it was a death click, and by tapping the drive, the problem went away for long enough for me to clone the drive.

i know a harddrive can make noise, but that loud notable click, i want to know if its normal to have it happen every so often

and sense the first post, i detirmaned that my chair made the noise, i think.
m
l
Related resources
March 15, 2010 9:06:21 PM

You can go the the manufacturer's website and there is a test that you can download and test the hard drive once and for all.

Good Luck.

~ Sam
m
l
March 15, 2010 11:46:16 PM

i know about them, but they dont tell me exactly whats wrong. its either it passes or it fails, and from what i read, if there is 1 bad sector it can fail it, even if the drive is still ok.
m
l
March 17, 2010 1:11:09 PM

If you want a more thorough check of the hard drive sectors, ADRC alerts you of bad sectors. It posts how many bad sectors there are while doing the scan.
m
l
!