marc045

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
I am at my wit's end with this one. I've seen many questions and answers about the "no post no video" problem but none of them quite match my problem.

I have a Medion M3 Composer 5200 (P4 3.2G HT, 1G RAM, MSI 775 mb) that has been working great for the past couple of years. My wife took it over about 6 months ago. A couple of weeks ago, she started complaining that the machine would occasionally shut down on her for no reason. She thought it was a virus so she installed a new anti virus program which did not help. I finally got a chance to look at it last week and found the processor fan clogged with dust. I took it apart and cleaned it. When I put it back together, the fan blades were hitting the mounting screws. I took out the mounting screws (which were screwed between the heatsink fins) and put it back on the heatsink. I figured it was a snug enough fit to where it would stay in place until I could get a new fan the next day. About an hour later she told me it shut down again. I opened the case and found the fan laying on the video card. The machine would start but I got no video so I assumed when the fan fell on the video card, it fried it somehow. The next day I got a new video card and a fan. I put it all together and it worked fine.

So what's the problem? Okay, when I was at the PC store, there was a nifty gaming case that caught my eye. It came with a 500w ps and LOTS of fans. I went back later that day and bought it. I transferred everything from the Medion case to the new Raidmax Smilodon case. Now the part that I hate to admit......when I was connecting all the wires, I was in a hurry and not paying enough attention and put the wrong connector on the CPU port of the motherboard. The connector I put on there was the extra 4 prong connector that goes to the main power for the board. I corrected the mistake but it was too late, I guess. The machine would not post and I had no video. I tried a PCI video card but that didn't help. I noticed a couple of blown capacitors near the CPU port. I went and got a new motherboard (Intel DG35EC) last night and installed it today but I still ahve the same problem. I know the cpu is okay because I put it in another computer and it worked fine. I've also tried 2 other power supplies.

Now the only thing that would make sense to me right now is maybe I damaged the power supply which in turn damaged the new motherboard when I hooked it up. Is that possible? Please, someone help me!

marc045

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
UPDATE:

I found the problem. The "expert" at the tiger direct outlet store told me that the mb (Intel DG35EC) I bought was compatable with my P4 cpu as long as it had an 800 mhz fsb. HE LIED. I took it back and exchanged it for one that is compatable with my p4. It posts fine but I think I might have to reload windows. It starts loading but then reboots after 1 or 2 seconds.