No signal display. GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3

MikeyD_48

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Building a new PC! No signal from 2 diff monitors.... wats wrong? plz help!?
I have installed everything perfectly. However, when i boot up the computer there is no monitor signal. The monitor remains blank. The fans in the computer are running as well as the cpu fan. Everything seems to be powering up perfectly.

Model Name : GA-MA770-UD3(rev. 1.0)
--------------------------
M/B Rev : 1.0
BIOS Ver : E1
Serial No. : SN090250082764
Purchase Dealer : New Egg
VGA Brand : Model :
CPU Brand : AMD Model : AD775ZWCGHBOX Speed : 2.7 ghrz
Operation System : Win XP SP : 2
Memory Brand : G. Skill Type : DDRII
Memory Size : 4 gb Speed : PC2 8500 (1066)
Power Supply : 500 W

Additional Details
the graphics card is an EVGA 8600gt (256mb gddr3)
I have used this video card on a previous computer. Worked like a charm. Took it out and put it on my new MB.
Also i have already tried testing the pc on 3 different monitors. No signal for all.
In addition, i have tried booting the MB without the Ram sticks in. Same results.
I have opened up the cpu as well and made sure it was inserted perfectly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night i put it together but didn't try connecting it to a monitor.... When i booted it up it would beep once.

Today, i would turn it on and there would be no beep.

I have tried using no ram. 1 stick of ram(2gb). and 2 sticks of ram(4gb)...
same results

p.s.
there is no integrated video
There is no power connectors needed for the video card.

MikeyD_48

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009

of course :p

bilbat

Splendid
Just checking the basics...

Next thing:
On the BIOS' "Advanced BIOS Features" page, is "Init Display First" set to "PEG"?

Arrgh! I'm an idiot - you can't see the ^&%^ screen! Page 43&44 in the manual -

Init Display First
Specifies the first initiation of the monitor display from the installed PCI graphics card or PCI
Express graphics card.
>>PCI Slot Sets the PCI graphics card as the first display. (Default)
>>PEG Sets the PCI Express graphics card as the first display.

Catch 22?

Samuraidog

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Sorry if I am too late, but I had the exact same issue. Even though the beeps indicate a video problem, it is NOT a video issue. Don't be fooled into thinking it is a video issue. It is a memory issue. This board is extremely picky about RAM. I tried three different kinds of RAM that were tested OK in other systems. No dice.

I recommend you use the following RAM.
G.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM

This is the RAM that finally worked on this board for me.

I tried three working video cards, two different power supplies, two different CPUs, three different kinds of RAM and countless other combinations. All of these hardware combinations were tested OK in other systems. It was driving me nuts.

After running all these tests with known good hardware, I concluded that the board was bad and I RMA'd it. After I got the replacement board, it gave the exact same beep error! So, unfortunately, I RMA'd a good working board!

After all that work and RMAing good hardware, it ended up being nothing more than a memory compatibility issue.

I hope this helps.

kristen82

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Samauraidog,

I just bought the same motherboard and have the same problems. Upon powering my system the case speaker emitts continuous long beeps. I swapped my psu's and still had the problem. The system takes forever to post and windows crashes.

What board revision do you have and how long have you been running the g.skill dual channel kit you recommended to the original poster?

I went cheap and got a 25$ OCZ dual channel kit and have been running the system for a week, but not without these annoying problems. I'm willing to get relatively more expensive ram, but want to make sure that I don't

Also, do you know if it's okay if the RAM runs at a higher voltage than what the motherboard is spec'd to do? My current ram is running at 1.92v and I find the bios very limited in specifying only 1.8v. I think the higher voltage may be causing instability.

Thanks!

Kristen

Samuraidog

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I am using the Rev the motherboard came with. Without checking, I assume that is Rev 1.0 (I'm currently on my lunch break at work, so I can't check).

Here is my system:
*GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 (Rev 1.0?)
*G.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
*SPARKLE SFPX94GT1024U2 GeForce 9400 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
*Hitachi SATA 500GB hard drive (can't remember model number--likely not important anyway for this issue)
*AMD Phenom 8650 Toliman 2.3GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Triple-Core Processor Model HD8650WCGHBOX
*LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS30

I've been using this with the new RAM (GSKILL cited above) for just over a month now without a hitch. System runs great and is stable.

If I remember correctly, my RAM voltage is set to "Auto" in the BIOS. I haven't tried to overclock anything.

Based on what you have written, I would tend to think that the RAM is your culprit. It seems that these boards are very finicky when it comes to RAM. Unfortunately, most places won't let you return RAM, so you might be stuck with it.

If you try everything you can and still can't get it working correctly, call Gigabyte for help.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

kristen82

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Thanks for the reply Samaruidog.

RAM definately is the culprit. My system crashed on me and when I relogged onto Windows, it sent an error report to msft. Msft replied back saying there is something up with the RAM.

My RAM voltage is set to "Auto" too, but the PC Health menu says it runs at 1.92. Do you think it's alright for the RAM to run at a voltage greater than the value of 1.8v that the board is spec'd at?

Have you changed the timings on the RAM? Mine is currently at 5 5 5 15. If you run your RAM slower, what values have/do you use?

I'd prefer to change any settings before doling out more money for RAM. If the settings don't work I'll take a shot on the RAM you currently have on your system.

Thanks again for your reply! I'll let you know how my system turns out.

Kristen

Samuraidog

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I haven't changed my RAM voltage/timing settings. Sorry I can't help you there.

Too bad RAM is such a problem on these boards. They really are nice once you get them running right.

Good luck.

kristen82

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Billbat:

Thanks for the reply.

I actually have an OCZ 2gb pc6400 dual channel ram. OCZ2P800FR2GK.

I ran the memory test from Microsoft and the computer freezes all the time when the fourth test, Stride6, is run.

Any insight?

I'm about to order the g.skill the other poster used in his system. but i want to know if there's anything i could do to fix this problem before spending more money.

Kristen

tblatti

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009

Hi Kristen,

I've got a similar problem. I put my PC together myself: MA770-UD3 (v2.0), RAM: Corsair TWIN2X-4096-8500C5DF, Video card HIS ATI 4980.

It started up fine, then after a couple of days I got no display, no starting up, so single peep. I've resetted the BIOS. I came up again for a day, then went down. I also got then continous long beeps (with a pause between it, each beep around 4 seconds). I took the graphics card out, nothing.

Before it "died" I was able to run memory test, they went find (Memtes86 for 16 hours and Prime95 for 18 hours, no problems)

Were you able to solve this? I have contacted Gigabyte and wait for an answer...

bilbat

Splendid
The first thing I always recommend is the standard strip-down, followed by a load optimized defaults; until this has been done, the board doesn't know 'what it's running', and can't set its 'auto' parameters (and there are a crapperload of 'em!)

The standard 'strip-down':

Power down at PSU switch
remove everything except
CPU and heatsink/fan (check carefully that the fan retaining pins are fully inserted, completely locked, and not cracked)
one stick of RAM, in slot closest to CPU
video card and monitor connector (if more than one PCIe slot, again, in slot closest to CPU)
all power plugs - 20+4 or 24, 2x2 or 2x4 ATX power, graphics card power
case speaker and power switch connectors
keyboard (don't need a mouse at this point)
place jumper on RST_CMOS pins
remove jumper from RST_CMOS pins
power up at PSU switch
power up by depressing case power switch
If you get video, enter BIOS with <DEL> (may need a <TAB> to get to POST screen, if 'splash' screen is enabled)
Select and execute "Load Optimized Defaults" - save and exit, reboot
power down
reinsert other components, one at a time, testing each time after addition

Assuming you can get into the BIOS after this, try the following:

On the "Advanced BIOS Features" page:

"AMD K8 Cool&Quiet control" to "Disabled"
"Away Mode" to "Disabled"

On the "Integrated Peripherals" page:

"Legacy USB storage detect" to "Disabled"

To give memory specs (the docs list 2.1V 5-5-5-15-2t) I will need your processor part #; ideally, if it's running, download these:
http://home.att.net/~chip.programmer/Memtest86/memtest86.211a.iso.zip
for testing, and:
http://www.tweakers.fr/download/MemSet41b2.zip
to give us an accurate 'read' of the SPD/EPP stored on the RAM...

tblatti

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Hi, thanks for your reply..

At the moment it's running again. Took everything out, put only VGA card, one memory stick in. Works fine. I've added a second memory stick. Works fine. Add sound card. Works fine. At the moment. The memory runs only at DDR 2-800 with 5-5-5-15.

I somehow get the feeling something does not like to be overclocked here.... the only part I have tried to overclock was the memory (1066, voltage 2.1, 5-5-5-15). After that (I think, I have no proof yet as I tried now several restarts with DDR2-800 setting and seems to be stable) I had these issues with long beeps and the system not comming up again (except when I took 1 memory stick out, then I got a bios warning and selected default). Said that I have tried now different memory (G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK) and tried to go with DDR2-1066, V2.1, 5-5-5-15 and Memtest86+ and Prime95 gave errors (Memtest86 later, Prime95 immediately). Restarted computer, went into BIOS to go back to Auto with voltage and speed.. bang, whole thing happening again: Intermittend long beeps, PC does not start up. Ok, taking all the parts out, leave one memory stick and restart... BIOS menu default.. Running again...

OK, too much for me... Gigabyte wrote:

>The problem might cause by hardware compatibility , we would suggest you first leave one memory >module and test again.In addition, we notice that you use sounds card on this platform, we would >suggest you unplug it at this moment and test in simple system configuration. So far we did not get >this issue from other users.

>But, If the problem still occurs in a simple environment, a further testing or examination to your >system .might be required. We suggest you to contact your supplier or nearest distributor and see if >they help you to test your system directly.

I'll let the system now run with default settings and see what happen the next few days...

Btw here the result:
Chipset K10 Memory Controler fsb/dram:1:2
Memory DDR2 401.8 MHz Size 2 x 2048

CAS# Latency (tCL) 5
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRTC) 5
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5
Precharge Delay (tRAS) 15
Command Rate 2T
Row Cycle time (tRC) 24
Refresh Mode Select 7,8 us
Ras# to Ras# Delay (tRRD) 3
Write Recovery time (tWR) 6