Tell me about I believe 2P Opetrons.

kingfet

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
So I am a warehouse manager at a computer recycling company. I can usually take home whatever I want for next to nothing, and came across one of these: http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2002/04/24/amd/opteron.jpg

It is in that case, our server tech worked on it last week, and it passed all tests. We do not sell servers though and will just part it out, so I was thinking about bringing it home. I looked at it on Monday/Tuesday and counted four processors, and about a dozen sticks of ram, along with two powersupplies (looked like atx) and three 40ish gig hard drives. My server guy was off this week, and I didnt have the time to hook it up and check the specs. There is no model number anywhere on the machine and I am assuming its home built. It came from a local university, but I do not want to call and ask about it because that is generally frowned upon.

So can any one potentially tell me from the picture, and the year (2002ish) what I may be dealing with here? If I purchase it, I am going to use it as a folding machine, and a end table (I am not kidding it is that large). How much would this thing cost to run a month 24/7 would you suppose? The power supplies were 460w each. I would like to figure out if its worth clearing the room this weekend for it...

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I couldnt really figure out where it might fit.

sharken

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
cant tell whats in it from picture, need to plug it into a monitor turn it on, Check device manager, will tell you everything in it then can give you an estimate etc....