Window Freeze

Whenever I right click on the desktop or try to drag an item to or from the
desktop, my computer freezes up. I have all necessary updates and have virus
scanned the computer multiple times and still have problems. Anyone have a
suggestion as to how to fix this?

Malke

John H. wrote:

> Whenever I right click on the desktop or try to drag an item to or
> from the desktop, my computer freezes up. I have all necessary updates
> and have virus scanned the computer multiple times and still have
> problems. Anyone have a suggestion as to how to fix this?

Right-click problems are usually caused by third-party software that has
put entries into the context menu. The free ShellExView utility is
great for troubleshooting this. Disable all non-Microsoft entries for
the context menu. Get ShellExView here:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

And here are some other links about the problem to help you:

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers -

Right click causes an error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing
Windows XP SP2 - http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm

Manage the context-menu entries for folders, drives and Namespace
objects - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Thank you. It was the shell from my virus program that was causing the problem.

"Malke" wrote:

> John H. wrote:
>
> > Whenever I right click on the desktop or try to drag an item to or
> > from the desktop, my computer freezes up. I have all necessary updates
> > and have virus scanned the computer multiple times and still have
> > problems. Anyone have a suggestion as to how to fix this?
>
> Right-click problems are usually caused by third-party software that has
> put entries into the context menu. The free ShellExView utility is
> great for troubleshooting this. Disable all non-Microsoft entries for
> the context menu. Get ShellExView here:
> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
>
> And here are some other links about the problem to help you:
>
> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers -
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>
> Right click causes an error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing
> Windows XP SP2 - http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm
>
> Manage the context-menu entries for folders, drives and Namespace
> objects - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

John H. wrote:

> Thank you. It was the shell from my virus program that was causing the
> problem.

Super! Thanks for taking the time to let me know.

Malke