Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Phenom 9950 vs Phenom II 920

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 3, 2009 7:46:07 PM

Hi everyone.

I'm having weird thoughts about these CPU's.

I have no clue when the Phenom II 920 is releasing and I am wanting to buy a new CPU this Tuesday.

I want everyone's thoughts,

Is the Phenom 9950 BE on the same scale as the Phenom II 920?

They are 100Mhz apart but I'm not sure.

Can somebody help me out.

Thanks

More about : phenom 9950 phenom 920

January 3, 2009 7:51:07 PM

do all you can to wait. i know its hard when your wanting to get something up and running but there are so many up sides to waiting this time. it isnt a marginal difference. it is a die shrink, better thermals, higher overclocking and it looks like better performance overall from what has oozed out.
January 3, 2009 7:56:35 PM

When can the 920 be expected to release in the UK then?

I am currently going to be buying the following:

Asus M3A79-T Deluxe
Asus HD 4850 1GB

------

Thing is since I just sold my 9850 I'm looking to get something that one step closer to last me a whole year or two.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2009 8:22:49 PM

like wednesday or some times next week :p 
some stores have them allready in stock and are selling. like one well known retailer here in Finland :D 
January 3, 2009 8:26:53 PM

Ok that's great, looks it'll be a boring week without a CPU in my system.
Does anybody know if ebuyer will be receiving these chips anytime soon?
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2009 8:39:21 PM

It seems to be a decent hard launch with 'lots of' cpus available at the launch date, whenever that actually is, some rumours said it should be the 8th but idk. But the fact that a retailer here in finland allready has them seems to indicate that it could be any day now, maybe amd will tell something on monday...
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2009 8:53:31 PM

I believe the 9950 is 2.6 GHz and the 920 is 2.8GHz, plus the clock for clock speed increase and the OC abilities mean the 920 is significantly better than the 9950. I sure hope they release Wednesday or earlier. Thursday releases are so annoying since there is a good chance the ship will get held up over the weekend and not arrive until the next week. If they do wait until the 8th, it had better be at 12am.
January 3, 2009 9:03:10 PM

lets all hope! since im going to be building this new system just before uni starts again.
January 3, 2009 9:07:29 PM

Just remember one thing, you need to be running BIOS ver 504 or 602 on your M3A79-T Deluxe to suppport the new 920's and 940's.
January 3, 2009 9:09:53 PM

OK thanks for the heads up, i'll download the updates and save them on a usb.
January 3, 2009 9:26:13 PM

What will the price range of this CPU be?

Hopefully below $270
January 3, 2009 9:53:27 PM

I have a 9950 BE system, I say wait for the 920.
January 3, 2009 10:30:10 PM

yes, the 920 SHOULD be below 270. Thats actually where rumors (that Ive seen) placed the 940.
January 3, 2009 11:06:55 PM

From previews, only the 3.0 gigahertz 940 will be unlocked. The 920 won't overclock, but is expected to have a higher IPC than Agena. I'm hoping it's at least 20%.

I just checked my board and with a bios upgrade it will support Deneb. Yet, it doesn't support the 9950, so it's a no brainer to wait till income tax time for me.

http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboard/Products_Sp...
January 3, 2009 11:36:03 PM

yipsl said:
From previews, only the 3.0 gigahertz 940 will be unlocked. The 920 won't overclock, but is expected to have a higher IPC than Agena. I'm hoping it's at least 20%.


I think you meant to say the 920 won't be unlocked. I've heard nothing about that it won't overclock, and based on the overclocks from the 940, I'd bet it'll overclock significantly better than a 9950.
January 3, 2009 11:40:07 PM

Yeh I think the 920 has an unlocked multiplier, because then theres no point in releasing a higher grade CPU and its predecessor has an unlocked multiplier.
I'm hoping to reach at least 3.2Ghz with the 920 as my 9850 couldn't even make 2.6Ghz stable! can you believe that!
January 4, 2009 12:21:00 AM

Cant remember where I saw it, but someones already posted a 3.4 oc with a 920 cpu verified. I dont have the link anymore
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2009 2:16:46 AM

PII no doubt about it. Why in the world would you sell of your 9850 just buy a 9950. Frankly thats just stupid. Get the 920 or any of the k10.5 cpus
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2009 4:32:44 AM

sandeepb said:
Yeh I think the 920 has an unlocked multiplier, because then theres no point in releasing a higher grade CPU and its predecessor has an unlocked multiplier.
I'm hoping to reach at least 3.2Ghz with the 920 as my 9850 couldn't even make 2.6Ghz stable! can you believe that!


I wouldn't be too surprised if the 920 were locked. It all depends - AMD might try to get the enthusiasts to go to the 940, in order to get the unlocked multiplier.
January 4, 2009 8:08:41 PM

OK I ordered my new mobo and GPU hopefully them both should be here for Tuesday.

Then just have to wait for Deneb to get released, Oh what a long week.
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2009 8:17:08 PM

sandeepb said:
OK I ordered my new mobo and GPU hopefully them both should be here for Tuesday.

Then just have to wait for Deneb to get released, Oh what a long week.


i had all my parts except my GPU that would be arriving the next day. you know how long of a day that was to wait? my computer fully built and ready to go except i cant hook it up to my monitor.... i feel for you bro, i really do.
January 4, 2009 8:20:35 PM

Thanks werxen.

To think if the 920's or 940's don't release till 2 weeks time, I won't be able to test out my whole new build which I made just so I can reach an higher overclock on a CPU lol
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2009 8:30:56 PM

Yeah, I bought the $20 Sempron just so I could test out my build and flash the BIOS. I sure hope they get them out in time, for my and their sake.
January 4, 2009 9:06:02 PM

Hoping for this week, I really am. Need to contact ebuyer.com tomorrow to see if they do have the stock.
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2009 10:32:51 PM

im so jealous of you guys lol. i want to test the phenom 2 soo badly
January 5, 2009 2:46:12 PM

can't take it i really want these phenoms to hurry and get in stock.

How much do you think a 940 is, since it has an unlocked multi then it will give more room for overclocking rather than just changing the fsb with the 920
January 5, 2009 2:53:50 PM

40-60$ more
January 5, 2009 3:06:08 PM

Wow, I'm looking around for how much they can be and it looks like when they release the 940 may hit the £200 mark which I say is quite expensive.

£180 would be something reasonable and affordable for this processor since a Core i7 920 is £222
January 5, 2009 3:26:15 PM

Prices are expected to drop, this is intro pricing. In a couple weeks, it may drop, tho thats a couple of weeks tho
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2009 3:39:25 PM

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 940 were in the same price range as the i7 920.
January 5, 2009 3:41:01 PM

That's a bit lame then, I'd have to go with the 920 and attempt a mission with the FSB.

I can here my Silenx sounding as if it's going to break any second now, damn it was such a good fan. Need to find the source fo the problem, it may be my PSU fan.
January 5, 2009 4:54:13 PM

sandeepb said:
That's a bit lame then, I'd have to go with the 920 and attempt a mission with the FSB.

I can here my Silenx sounding as if it's going to break any second now, damn it was such a good fan. Need to find the source fo the problem, it may be my PSU fan.



FSB issues are now a myth!
January 5, 2009 4:55:28 PM

I dont really have a problem with the P2 940 costing almost as much as an i7 920. If you think about it, not many people who buy the P2 will be building a new system, it doesnt make sense to spend that much on a dead platform. Most P2 buyers will be AM2 owners looking to upgrade and get a little more life out of their platform and therefore justifying the price. Now if I were a new system builder than I would definitely look at the i7 as it will allow for future upgrades.
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2009 5:37:36 PM

@nsimo86
or wait for a month for the new AM3 version
January 5, 2009 7:03:00 PM

Kari said:
@nsimo86
or wait for a month for the new AM3 version


Yeah, thats why I said the P2 940, not the future AM3 P2. I think it'll be more like 3 months before we see any AM3 phenoms
January 5, 2009 11:38:13 PM

Yep AM3 CPU's will be releasing more around april time.

And two days till I'm on my winter break and no pc.

Hopefully the 920/940 will be ready to be bought on Thursday, but then again prices might drop next week and I could have just wasted my money.
January 6, 2009 12:37:03 PM

nsimo86 said:
Yeah, thats why I said the P2 940, not the future AM3 P2. I think it'll be more like 3 months before we see any AM3 phenoms



The CPU's ALREADY support AM3 - it's the platform that doesn't. i.e they already have HT3 etc.
January 6, 2009 4:28:04 PM

sedaine said:
The CPU's ALREADY support AM3 - it's the platform that doesn't. i.e they already have HT3 etc.


True, but what is the point of buying an AM2 phenom to put into an AM3 MOBO?
!