Cheap Memory N00b question. 2nd try.

Cedric Tsui

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Hey everyone! Quick question.

THG *Guide to Choosing Parts* suggests DDR2 800Mhz 1.8V RAM, preferably with timings 5-5-5-15 or lower for normal users and 1066 Mhz for overclockers. There was a ram faq that explained all of the technical terms wonderfully, but didn't have much practical advice.

I'm putting together a budget system (don't play games much anymore) and I'm startled with the HUGE range in prices for RAM. My gut instinct says to ignore the fancy heatsinks and go with what seems to be the standard. 2GB of Crucial 800Mhz PC-6400.

Any advice? Am I buying counterfit ram or something?
And if someone could explain why there is such a variation in prices...

Cheers!
Cedric

My system will be running XP and Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Very few games.
p.s. I set the sub-catageory to Memory, but the forum wouldn't submit "You have to specify a sub-section!" Strange...

t85us

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
hi !

for dumb people, a fancy colorful radiatored "XXX" and "GTX" called and so bullsh*t memory (or whatever it is) is easier to sell. (just take a look at windows vista. it's fancy, but it's a crap and costs a huge ammount of cash for it's slim value , and of course needs a "nuclear reactor" in your computer case. on the other hand, a lot of the linux distros need less than a 400MHz cpu for everyday use with the XFCE. if you are using redhat, than you know this facts)

Of course, there are some cases, where the ram is producing a lot of heat, but that happens only a few times with heavy overclocking. If your computer won't be overclocked, and will be used primary for everyday work, then go for your instinct ;)