Quad or quad extreme? O.o

kittems

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Whats the difference between a normal quad and a quad extreme? i cant see the difference besides the top extreme one thats like.. 3.2gh 1600mhz.. but the other ones seem to be the same as the normal quad processors o_O

So whats the difference?

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
i7 do not waste your time with the extrme the 920 rules

<------see my saying

finally:

if you have a low fsb mobo and want max speed then go extreme - i.e. maxi,us can only run x38 chipset at 400fsb with E0 chip

3.6 q9650 4.2-4.6ghz from qx9650 not temp dependant but fsb dependant

the i7 is not fsb dependant and multipler is not an issue 920 rules!

In multithreaded apps. Don't forget that minor tidbit. Besides, people who already have 775 mobo's may not be willing to upgrade yet...

The only diffrence is the unlocked multiplyer. Unless you are going for a major OC, don't bother.

Yes, but keep in mind too that the i7 965 is only 70% the cost of the QX9770 as well - making it a vastly better value. The i7 920 is an even better value, considering that it should easily overclock to 3.5 or above.

Also, that test there is with both hyperthreading and turbo mode turned off. With both on, it would gain a significant boost again.

kittems

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Hmm well i have no experience in overclocking.. o_O and i have the money saved up to buy a good pc.. im going for this

CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9400
Motherboard: GigaByte GA-EP45T-DS3R Intel P45 Express CrossFireX Chipset LGA775 FSB1600 DDR3/1600 Mainboard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394a, &7.1Audio
RAM: 2GB (1GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
GPU: 9800GTX+ or GTX260(not sure..)
Monitor: 20" LCD
HD: 500GB

but yea i dont know much about overclocking.. and even tho im saving for a pc like this(getting close) i dont have money to just replace soemthing if it overheats and breaks.. or to upgrade something at a whim..

thats why i was looking for advice :p

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
There is no reason at all to get DDR3 for any system but a I7. You should also get 4GB or more to pair up with vista64.

If you do decide to get a Intel Q9 series cpu I would suggest to q9950. It is not much more expensive than the q9400 and it is a better chip.

Its hard to give out advice for a system when you dont give out the budget for the build and what the machine is going to used for. But evne with out that ddr3 just doesnt make sense for ANY system except the core I7. Only because you HAVE to use ddr3 for that system.

kittems

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
There is no reason at all to get DDR3 for any system but a I7. You should also get 4GB or more to pair up with vista64.

hmm ok didnt know that, i just wanted DDR3 for its faster speed(so ive read) and my budgit is what i wanna save up too.. but im trying to spend around 1200-1400 at most.
and it is for a gaming rig, thats really all i do on my PC now, but my PC now.. is really low end cuz its like 10 years old lol..

oh also.. is liquid cooling worth it? or not really?

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
No it aint worth it. Its basically for people who overclock to the MAX. You could get a decent aftermarket cooler for 20 bucks.

1200-1400 will get you a very good machine as long as you dont waste the money.

If you are going to keep this machine for as long as the system your using(10years) I would say get a I7 machine. which should fall in that 1200-1400 range. Thats including monitor/OS. There should be some kind of uprade path for machines built around a i7. But for socket 775 there isnt, at least cpu wise there isnt.

If you wanna spend alot less money but still get a nice machine thats there core2 and core2 quads(mainly q6600) come into play.

And on the overlocking note. Its not hard at all to do. Its actually rather simple and safe if you do it right.

I gotta agree with the people saying go for i7. There is no point in getting DDR3 for a C2D based build.

Also, note that if you are getting any of the Gigabyte boards DO NOT install the DES software. The software can lead to BSODs,etc. Imo, it's not worth the $20-25 saved a year running a PC with DES that crashes.

OCing is not hard as long as you are willing to do the reading beforehand.