Q6600 Very High Temps + Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

fear4nwo

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Okay so I just bought a new computer, it is 5 days old, and i downloaded hwmonitor and core temp because i was planning to overclock my q6600 G0 edition. But i don't think i could do it with these temperatures (see images). I really don't know what is wrong with it, my room temperature is 22 degrees and my Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro isn't doing it's job. I've checked a couple of times if it's not put in well over the cpu, but it is, and it looks like it's just fine, but my temperatures are soaring, and when i use prime95, the temperature goes to 100 degrees Celcius. What should I do?

my.php

my.php

Thanks,

Fear

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
100c you missing reading the tj as your temp? i bet!

if it was 100c your sysem would crash

lol! prime 95 is test program not real life!

aritc 7 sucks for high end cooler

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
your jpegs do not work

so again i am guessing

frezer 7 = 75c or 55c = thermalright 120 or ultima 90 or 68c = zalamn 9500 or 65c = zalman 97
zig = thermal right = zero therm giver or take 5c

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
A. The AC7 is fine
B. Hes reading the temps right
C. the pics work

Dont run prime anymore, or anything else. Take the cooler off and reseat it, I advise removing the motherboard to be sure pushpins go all the way through. Also the AC7 has paste pre-applied to it, make sure you didnt put additional paste on it without removing the paste from teh AC7

fear4nwo

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
And i wasnt really going for a high end cooler, as all i want to do is get it to 3.0Ghz which doesn't require an expensive cooler.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
The AC7 is perfectly fine for 3.0ghz on a Q6600, I did it for months with temps just fine. Do like I susgest, remove the cooler and clean an reapply the paste. Also I highly susgest removing the motherboard when reseating the cooler so you are sure the pushpins are all the way down. I would never and never recomend installing a push-pin cooler while the motherboard is installed in the case, you still need that support behind the socket and to check the pins.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Look, you build pricey systems that cost like $2000. I dont expect you to use one or understand why somebody would use a AC7, your definition of "junk" is clouded im sure after using water and $100 air setups. Not every system has to be overclocked to max or use expensive exotic cooling, not everybody wants that or can afford that. Its a very effective cooler espically for the price. Take it or leave it, there is no argument. your opinion is second to dozens and hundreds and thousands of reviews that say otherwise. Not only this, but the issue isnt even the cooler, its a seating/mounting issue.

As far as the links go, they work. Im sure the OP is sorry you cant highlight and copy/paste

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I used the AC7 on my Q6600 when I had it on a Gigabyte G33 microATX board, it cooled it well at 3.0ghz, I had no complaints, never peaked over 50c which was good enough for me.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Getting a bit full of ourselves, aren't we?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

I have no doubt that your systems are good, and no reason to doubt any of your claims. However, the OP was asking about a problem that he had, at present, with his current setup. You provided no useful advice to the OP, in fact you denigrated his system and belittled him personally for not having a better HSF. At no time did you ask the OP if he could afford a different cooler, or even if he had a budget to work with. Spotothan did suggest solutions to the OP's current issue, correctly in my opinion, that he needed to re-mount his HSF. Even offered steps to take to get good results.

You may be the best system builder in the world, but you did not help out the OP. So in this instance, you failed.

daskrabbe

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008

Personally... I'm not going to buy a system from someone who doesn't know copy'n paste.

papalarge123

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
I like the fact that no one has suggested checkin the Voltages in the Bios, this should have been one of the first things mentioned.

the Q6600 should be able to run on 1.2V Vcore (on stock), and may be able to hit the 3.0ghz overclock with out changing the Vcore,

if the Vcore is set to automatic, this could be part of the reason why ur temps are so high.

also, when u download and use the Core or Real temps, firstly make sure u change the TJmax to 90c, this will give u the correct temp readings for all ur cores,

if they are still too high, then remove all thermal paste off of the cooler and the CPU, replace with AC5 thermal paste, (i found spreading with a Razor blade produces the best result) to produce a very thin film of paste on the CPU, this should be sufficient.

good luck.

The Vcore was automatic in all likelihood, because it was around 1.4, but that shouldn't result in 100C temps. Still, it'd definitely be a good idea to turn that down somewhat - a Q6600 should run at 3GHz at no higher than 1.3, and I wouldn't be surprised if it could run it at 1.2.