Mobile Graphics Decisions.

jonbrout

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
It's that time again to purchase a new laptop. The best thing I can find for the money is the Sager NP9262. However, the 9800M GTX has been out for some time, and I would rather wait on the next best thing if a newer graphics card is coming out anytime in Q1 of 2009 or thereabouts. I'm wanting to have the best graphics card i can get during the time obviously. I would be mucho grateful for your opinions on what may be the best course of action. Thanks for your help.

The next best thing to come will be an HD4K variant to the laptop market (no way you're getting a current GTX in one of thos things), however it's a bit of a ways away, and it's not going to be cheap.

I'd say get the Sager for now, or if you have doubts longer term, then get the Gateway with the GTS for cheaper, and then dump it in the spring when better stuff comes out. But I think the Sager's a pretty good option for now, with the only drawback being it's an older chipset and not built on the Montevina like the NP5796. It's a swap of power for features, and also of desktop-replacement vs semi-mobile.
It might be worth waiting for a winter refresh of the 9262, but even that's a question mark.

jonbrout

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Out of curiosity what is the current GTX you're referring to?

also, like i was saying, i don't plan on purchasing it super soon or anything (before Q2 2009 though) .

What is this "winter refresh" you speak of?

Would I be correct in the assumption that 9800M gtx in SLI are the best i can get at the moment for mobile graphics?

Just looking for more insight before i drop around 3G's on this thing.

Thanks again.

GTX is the G200 GPU, it's too big and power hungry to be put in a laptop as is, and the G200B 55nm refresh is not on desktops yet so don't expect it to be anywhere near laptops where nV already dominates. If it's not ready for deasktops it's not gonna see laptops for months if ever.

Even the HD4K will be the HD4670 in mobile garb, not the HD48xx, because you need a balance of power consumption/heat and performance.

There are rumours of a Q1 refresh of the 9262 based onthe upcoming CLEVO refreshes they are based on, but like everything they are currently rumours. The last refresh was in July keeping the model # but changing some of the parts, the Q1 refresh will likely bring a # change as well like the D900->901 change. Nehalem in a laptop is expected in Q1 of 2009, as a desktop port, just like these, the mobilized version of Nehalem (Calpella) won't be until late '09.

And yes the GF9800MGTX in SLi is king, and by a big margin, especially compared to anything out there from ATi or anyone else.