Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive help advice needed !!

Last response: in Storage
March 15, 2010 5:49:27 AM

:hello:  Hi i have a 120GB SATA Notebook Hard drive that i mounted into my desktop pc..
i had no problems at all for about a week then it slowed down
When i copy to it it is super fast...But when i copy off of it it runs like +- 1mb a sec or less
Please help :o 
Thanx
March 15, 2010 7:22:35 AM

Obviously its write times are fast, but its copying times are slow, was it like that in your laptop?
March 15, 2010 8:58:48 AM

p1n3apqlexpr3ss said:
Obviously its write times are fast, but its copying times are slow, was it like that in your laptop?

I dont think so
Related resources
a b G Storage
March 15, 2010 9:00:42 AM

Sometimes an antivirus will scan that drive for a very long time and it slow it down. I have tried this problem a few times - I turn off a few background process (careful with these), I also tried replacing the cable and it works.
March 16, 2010 2:59:38 AM

Did you reformat it after putting into desktop, or just plug and go? That may be a issue... or somethnig hogging it up some antivirus as deane said
March 16, 2010 3:45:17 AM

p1n3apqlexpr3ss said:
Did you reformat it after putting into desktop, or just plug and go? That may be a issue... or somethnig hogging it up some antivirus as deane said

Yea i did format it of course :) 
March 16, 2010 3:48:00 AM

dEAne said:
Sometimes an antivirus will scan that drive for a very long time and it slow it down. I have tried this problem a few times - I turn off a few background process (careful with these), I also tried replacing the cable and it works.

Thanx man
Exactly which background processes did you stop.....The SATA cables im using are brand new and the psu is also quite new (power lead)
March 16, 2010 7:02:37 AM

Do you AVG running or anything? Also OEM copy of OS or something from dell or HP etc? Those copies will have bloatware on them slowing your system down
March 16, 2010 12:02:55 PM

p1n3apqlexpr3ss said:
Do you AVG running or anything? Also OEM copy of OS or something from dell or HP etc? Those copies will have bloatware on them slowing your system down

I have Avast running all the time

March 17, 2010 3:33:02 AM

Try closing that, or disabling it to run auto scans every day at the least, and see if that changes anythg
!