Sign in with
Your question

Battle of the case!!

Last response: in Components
January 4, 2009 3:59:45 AM

so, this is all about cases...full tower, super bad-@$$ ones...well, two. so the choice is one or the other..which will you pick? i like the cm haf...but the anted 1200 is pretty sweet too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : battle case

January 4, 2009 4:11:08 AM

OOO tough battle

Atm id get the CM because of the price of the 1200. Usually the 1200 is at $150-170....214 is a lot

Both are very good and u wont go wrong

Heres a question, what do u like better...blue or red?? I like blue so i got the 1200 (but the Haf wasnt even out :p )
January 4, 2009 4:18:44 AM

i wouldnt get either even fi they were given free.

big, fugly, and pricey.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 4, 2009 4:19:11 AM

I like the Antec more but both are a little tryhard .

Who really needs to impress people with the size of their computer case? and what are they compensating for?

The antec P182 is the best case on the planet . But you have to be clever enough to buy one
January 4, 2009 4:21:59 AM

Outlander_04 said:
The antec P182 is the best case on the planet . But you have to be clever enough to buy one

In what respect do u say that. In my opinion its a lousy design especially with the PSU. Its almost impossible to install with that fan there, especially for modular cables.

And if ur looking for cooling, the P182 has very bad airflow compared to the 900/1200 or the RC 690 and Haf
a c 248 ) Power supply
January 4, 2009 8:32:16 AM

Both cases are good choices for large full tower cases. It's simply a matter of your own personal preference. Buy the one you like best.
January 4, 2009 8:56:11 AM

For that amount of money it becomes personal taste, bothe are excellant choices.

I like this one and for the money save would add to other things needed

XCLIO Blackhawk Black Finish 0.8 mm SECC / ABS Plastic ATX Full Tower Extreme Cooling Computer Case - Retail
Item #: N82E16811103026
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy $129.99

January 4, 2009 9:59:15 AM

errrr.....
you give us difficult choices...
but i prefer CM,
you wont go wrong...

Ha......Ha.......Ha...... (Joker Laugh)
January 4, 2009 11:06:57 AM

Silverion77 said:
In what respect do u say that. In my opinion its a lousy design especially with the PSU. Its almost impossible to install with that fan there, especially for modular cables.

And if ur looking for cooling, the P182 has very bad airflow compared to the 900/1200 or the RC 690 and Haf

I don't know where you got your "knowledge" from, but I have a P180 and a Mini P180 and both have VERY good cooling and there is absolutely NO problems with cable routing (cables goes behind the mobo tray) not through the hole above the PSU. Only cables for gfx and drives goes through there.

the Mini P280 has even better cooling with the 200mm fan, but some don't like it for some reason, but best case I ever had and extremely quiet and cool
January 4, 2009 11:09:15 AM

Both are great options. I like the 1200 quite a bit. It's up to you, but if you go for the 1200, price shop - that price is WAY too high.
January 4, 2009 11:16:25 AM

huron said:
Both are great options. I like the 1200 quite a bit. It's up to you, but if you go for the 1200, price shop - that price is WAY too high.

its not tons cheaper but cheaper none the less

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Personally I like the HAF........3x230mm Fans and 1x140mm plus room for 2x120mm fans on the bottom. That or the Stacker 830

Microcenter has both for less.

177.09 for the HAF(shipped) and 207.09(shipped) for the Antec 1200
VS
$184.98 for the HAF @ NE and 214.99 for the 1200(both shipped)

Myself, fortunately I have a Microcenter about an hour or so away, that will be on my way to work once I start my new job.

January 4, 2009 1:43:29 PM

well if you put the psu at the bottom of the case (can go up top aswell) then theres only room for one 120mm on the bottom and thats not really needed.
January 4, 2009 2:30:52 PM

air flow wise the antec 1200. fans on side of case is proven to decrease air flow inside of the case and no i don't have a link at the moment . negative air pressure is a lot better for cooling and that's what the 1200 has.
January 4, 2009 2:46:26 PM

did you see the vid on the fortress case with positive pressure? looked pretty effective at chucking the air out the back of the case.
January 4, 2009 3:18:37 PM

Godiwa said:
I don't know where you got your "knowledge" from, but I have a P180 and a Mini P180 and both have VERY good cooling and there is absolutely NO problems with cable routing (cables goes behind the mobo tray) not through the hole above the PSU. Only cables for gfx and drives goes through there.

the Mini P280 has even better cooling with the 200mm fan, but some don't like it for some reason, but best case I ever had and extremely quiet and cool

:heink:  :heink: 
My "knowledge" comes from personal experience

Have u even owned a case like the 1200, 900 or Haf designs?? They cool MUCH better than the P182s do...guranteed. Atm i have 3 Q9550s downstairs in P182s and 1 in a 1200. Two Qs downstairs are on E0 stepping (one on C1) and are a good 8-10C higher than my C1 upstairs (might want to switch one...wouldnt mind a better OCer). Now i kno that they are different chips and produce different heat output between all 4, but generally the E0 produces less heat plus the ambient is much colder downstairs...dont have exact numbers though.
Its a fact of design, the P182 is designed quiet, which it is. Thats y i bought 3. But the design of cooling cases like the 1200 or Haf are more superior in that regard. More fans, and the case itself is more open. Mesh instead of panels, no door etc.

and for the PSU...its the modular cables that are a problem. The extra "piece" on the PSU end comes directly up against the fan basically.
a b ) Power supply
January 4, 2009 3:32:40 PM

the antec 900 and 1200 are super dust depositories. If anyone can atest that the haf doesn't collect dust like either of the antec cases then i'd go with the haf.
January 4, 2009 3:56:49 PM

PsyKhiqZero said:
the antec 900 and 1200 are super dust depositories. If anyone can atest that the haf doesn't collect dust like either of the antec cases then i'd go with the haf.

Agreed...the other day i was testing some HDs, so i opened my case and noticed my PSU was sort of gray in color...
Thought it was just me but i wiped my finger across it and it was just a huge layer or dust :na: 
January 4, 2009 4:14:29 PM

well, in socal any case with fans or high air flow design will suck in dust..i vacuum the front filter and can air dust the fans weekly. did i forget to mention what i am tucking into one of these monsters? i think i did. well, here is the deal. im trying to hide my lcs INSIDE the case like i did with my centurion 5 (and oh boy is that a tight fit!!!) i dont want any issues with say, two maybe three radiators fitting and tube routing. sorry bout that. the CM has spots to mount radiators endlessly all over inside the case. a dual 120 would fir the place of that 230mm fan nicely for air decrease...but whos counting on air when im using liquid? plus, i would be mountin psu at bottom...and no, its not a huge waste of metal that compensates for something...lol!!! its functional for what i need it for..full tower. and newegg doest have the ft01...just looked...how about fry's? lookin now...
a b ) Power supply
January 4, 2009 4:27:30 PM

Silverion77 said:
:heink:  :heink: 
My "knowledge" comes from personal experience

Have u even owned a case like the 1200, 900 or Haf designs?? They cool MUCH better than the P182s do...guranteed. Atm i have 3 Q9550s downstairs in P182s and 1 in a 1200. Two Qs downstairs are on E0 stepping (one on C1) and are a good 8-10C higher than my C1 upstairs (might want to switch one...wouldnt mind a better OCer). Now i kno that they are different chips and produce different heat output between all 4, but generally the E0 produces less heat plus the ambient is much colder downstairs...dont have exact numbers though.
Its a fact of design, the P182 is designed quiet, which it is. Thats y i bought 3. But the design of cooling cases like the 1200 or Haf are more superior in that regard. More fans, and the case itself is more open. Mesh instead of panels, no door etc.

and for the PSU...its the modular cables that are a problem. The extra "piece" on the PSU end comes directly up against the fan basically.

what piece on the psu is that ? All the ones I have seen have flush backs with sockets .

I think you just need a big case ;-)
January 4, 2009 4:35:24 PM

patater said:
well, in socal did i forget to mention what i am tucking into one of these monsters? i think i did. well, here is the deal. im trying to hide my lcs INSIDE the case like i did with my centurion 5 (and oh boy is that a tight fit!!!) i dont want any issues with say, two maybe three radiators fitting and tube routing. sorry bout that. the CM has spots to mount radiators endlessly all over inside the case. a dual 120 would fir the place of that 230mm fan nicely for air decrease...but whos counting on air when im using liquid?

If this is for liquid cooling then i might have to say DONT get the Antec 1200. In my opinion its nice...cools well but for internal Liquid...meh :pfff: 

U could probably fit a 2x120 (saw it done) or 3x120 (3 might be too large and block CD drives and HDs) in the front with some L brackets but anywhere else would have to be exterior mounted.
U might be able to fit a 2x120 on the back fans but i dont think theres enough clearance between the fan and the side panel

As for the PSU i stated that completely wrong. I meant the extra connector for the modular cables to connect. They get rly close to the fan. When i first started one, it was rubbing :sweat:  but i was able to shift it with my screwdriver
a b ) Power supply
January 4, 2009 4:44:01 PM

Yes I noticed your pick has water cooling. I suggest the coolermaster cosmos 1000. since it's intake is on the bottom of the case it doesn't collect dust. Also it's dust fileter are easily accessible w/o haveing to open up the case. while the antec 1200 does have dust filters you have to remove both sides and pull the drive cages out a bit just to clean them out.

I own the cosmos 1000 and the antec 1200. I must say I like my cosmos 1000 much better.
January 4, 2009 7:35:02 PM

Should get the Tt WingRS100, it's the cheapest case made and Venom uses it because he's the biggest moron on these forums=P
January 4, 2009 11:13:37 PM

i do like the red leds. well, the cosmos is a tank. i have seen them at the old compusa and what not. i will post more later, but thanks for the inputs!!
January 4, 2009 11:14:43 PM

oh the wingrs, midtower..lookin for full!!!!
January 4, 2009 11:42:37 PM

Liderc said:
Should get the Tt WingRS100, it's the cheapest case made and Venom uses it because he's the biggest moron on these forums=P

at least the tool-less clips are bigger than yours... if you're smart enough to get the pun :D 

:bounce: 

what's wrong with the wingsrs100 anyway? yeah it doesnt have 8 fans... im crying because of it :cry: 

does everything i want it to. sure i would have preferred a CM 690, but would it have given me any more performance for double the price? i think not.
January 5, 2009 1:30:10 AM

no, im trying to tuck a lot into the case...did you get the pun? lol...no i dont need the 8 fans..i could care less about crossflow and what not..i just want to mount up my rads and fans and be able to hide all my components inside on case. also one that looks good and doesnt cost more than say, 190 or 200 bucks...the cosmos is sweet, but a beast for sure..very heavy.
January 5, 2009 1:45:34 AM

err.. my comment wasnt directed at you... hence the quote.
January 5, 2009 2:01:45 AM

dont get me wrong..it looks pretty nice...but its not what i need. so everyones take is the antec is awesome..the haf is awesome, and for my needs get the cm...ok thanks peeps!!!
January 5, 2009 3:37:07 AM

cm as in the cosmos or the 690?

...or the haf... lol
January 5, 2009 9:32:46 AM

If for H2O which it is

Get the Cosmos..from what ive seen the extra size is great for some radiators on top and bottom

The Haf and 1200 are more towards air cooling....ill see what i come up with if i go H2O. Get some measurements
January 5, 2009 6:18:14 PM

the dual top mount in the cosmos is too far spaced apart for a dual 120..there is about 1 or 2 cm too far in between the holes...so it really wont work...plus that thing is a little too much for what i want to spend. but the haf can mount a dual 12cm on top and on back right?

nope, just on top...dang...nice try. maybe it was the 1200 that could fit the dual on back...yup. now, how can someone frankencase this thing? i wish that a company would take the back to the 1200 and put it on the back of the haf...two dual 12cm rads would rock the house!!
January 5, 2009 6:35:21 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?ISList=11-...

so this one is nice...well, not really, just the inside is. i like how it has the dual 80s at bottom (well, was considering using my old 400ml/hr pump and lc my video card(s) later) but it does not have a dual 120 spot...i guess i could put the holes in teh bottom..but i HATE the face of that case!!
January 5, 2009 6:40:46 PM

well, there might be another one into play here...this one is pretty nice..but a little much as stated prior...

i think the swiftech dual 120 that is very slimlined will fit on the back, and slap the 12cm rad i have on the bottom...seems like it would work..going to have to order more tubing...again!!! aahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!
!