xX StitcH

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I am looking to upgrade my computer with a new CPU and mobo. I am looking at these two combos.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.155232

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.161238

The latter has the 790FX chipset which I am leaning towards for the following reason. I have one Radeon HD4830 right now and I plan on getting another one in the near future to crossfire with the one I have. The 790FX supports dual x16 where as the 790gx is x8,x8. They are both the same price after the rebate on the combo with the MSI board (the 790FX).

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help :)

I would hold out for either the new 710 or 720 phenoms. Fry's has them starting at $124. Haven't checked newegg yet. These newer cpus use less energy, and may overclock better. A vender named Provantage has the am3 710 retail boxed for $140 in stock. You can buy the board at newegg. Newegg shows 2 foxconn am3 boards in stock that are reasonably priced. Asus should also have some bios updates for it's am2 boards by now.

Go for the mobo which has SB750 as the south bridge cos oly the SB750 has the ACC option which will allow u a stable overclock of the Phenom...

And as for ur concern over the crossfire over a full x16x16 vs x8x8, the difference is very negligible...so u wont find much of a difference...

Motherboardpro.com is giving away a few am2 cpus to those who purchase the DFI 790gx M2RS for $139.99, which is cheaper than newegg. The deal only includes the cpu, not the heatsink. I can't find any support for am3 cpus yet with this board, but DFI may come up with a bios update later for am3. The link is at fatwallet.com.

xX StitcH

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Hmmm... I think I'll probably end up with the combo with the Gigabyte board. What exactly is the ACC option?

Thanks for the info, gkay.

Will this PSU support two 4830's in crossfire? Is a crossfire setup easy to do?