I just made my new rig.

e8700 @ 2.53
Palit Ati radeon 4870 Sonic Dual Edition
Gigabyte S-Series GA-G31M
Game X Stream 600w
Antec Nine Hundred
Western Digital 250 Gb
Mushkin EM2-6400 DDR2 2x 1GB

My problem is I play counter-strike source, cod4, bf2 and there is no problem that I see.

When I play counter-strike 1.6 with my buddies which is alot I seem to be having Fps problems when there is alot of people in front of me or when im in a big gun battle. I feel with this system I should have 100 fps solid wouldn't you?

Now my question is that could it be my RAM because I know its not my GPU because comon now a 4870 and cs 1.6?

That card should handle that game with no questions asked.

Thats why I came here with my question.

Help would be very appreciated. Thanks

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Firstly, you're CPU you listed is wrong. I'm not aware of any e8700, but I do know the e8600 runs at 3.3Ghz, so either you have an e6700 (most likely), or your speed you listed is wrong.

Secondly.... if you're on Vista, I'd say it's your RAM. But make sure you got your drivers cleaned out if you recently upgraded your video card, maybe reformat/reinstall windows, too. Also, make sure nothing's overheating. Extra heat from a new, hotter card could be making your CPU overheat, leading to throttling, leading to lower FPS.

eRazorrr

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
Ya sorry about that I got a e7200 @ 2.53 umm No overheating My cpu idles at 39 - 43 degrees and my GPU is anywhere between 44 - 50 degrees. I am using xp pro service pack 3 and I got this computer about a month ago so I dont think a new install if windows would be necessary. I am thinking it might be the RAM should I look into buying more powerful better quality RAM?

More RAM would probably help. Get a 2x2GB kit that will run at its advertised timings on the JEDEC standard 1.8v.

Why a G31? You didn't need the integrated graphics. It probably won't overclock well, if only because the Northbridge will overheat.

eRazorrr

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
could you give me a link to a good set of RAM that would solve my sistuation?

Im kind of new to this whole thing I was just told that building your own pc saves you money so I did it.