Cpu-z shows something strange after overclocking Q6600

zhee

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
I decided to overclock my Q6600 from 2.4 to 3.0 GHz. After studying some guides and video tutorials I managed to do that and it seemed to work just fine. But when I check results on CPU-Z in Clocks(Core #0) section it shows me Core speed - 1998 Mhz and multiplier - 6x when CPUs are on 0-15..20 % load, but when it goes past that, Core speed is 2997 and multiplier s 9x. Is there any chance that on lower CPU load my PC somehow switches those settings? Or have i done something wrong.. ?

My system's specs:
CPU: Intel Q6600 (Kentsfield)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3
RAM: OCZ Titanium 2GB (2x1Gb) DDRII 800MHz, It should be 4-4-4-15 though in BIOS it's 5-5-5-15
PSU: Chieftec 650W 12cm fan
GPU: Asus GF 8800GT
HDD: Seagate Baracuda 7200 rpm, 500Gb, 32MB cache, SATA II
Cooler: Still have the original one, though i'm planing to buy a decent one in a day or two.

I read a bunch of articles and watched some video tutorials on youtube. Mostly i used this guide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kf_hSIpa0A&feature=related

My M.I.T. settings:

CPU Clock Ratio - 9x
CPU Host Clock Control - Enabled
CPU Host Frequency - 333
PCI Express Frequency - 100
System memory multiplier - 2.4
Memory frequency - 800 800
DRAM Timing Selectable - Auto
System Voltacege control - Manual (All overvoltace controls set to normal)
CPU Voltage control - 1.275V
Normal CPU Vcore - 1.250V

I haven't still figured out about CPU Voltage control. Some tips would be fine.

zhee

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Problem solved - missed some threads about SpeedStep :D

And about that CPU Voltage Control - Lowered to 1.225V and still works fine. Should i contionue to lower it, or maybe even set to auto?
And would it be possible that with my sistem i could OC to 3.2ghz with a decent cooler?

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Yep Speedstep drops your clock and multiplier - glad you found it.

The rule on voltage is you want it to be as low as possible but high enough to be stable. Most people will either work their way up from stock and eventually get to a stable voltage, others will go high and then work their way down. either way works, but eventually you want to get that voltage back down to a stable level for your system.

Do look around here and see what others eventually run their systems at - I dont have a link at the moment for you.

Some people do not trust auto - I have used auto on one of my systems and it seems to work fine - it drops when Im not using it and jumps up when I run all 4 cores.

As you run more voltage you create more heat - but it only reaches high levels if the clocks are high and constant. So how high do you want to go? Some people will overclock to the heat level they are comfortable with, or the fan speed - which begins to get louder... Then you can think about changing the cooler. There was an article here today on a cooler comparison - socket 1156.

I was able to clock my Qx6700 from 2.6 to 3.3-ish without much added voltage or heat. After that they went up a lot and I added an aftermarket cooler.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
depend on your OC goal.what i usually do is to set the cpu voltage to stock value so the motherboard wont apply higher voltage by itself when you overclock higher.a Q6600 can get to about 3.6Ghz with decent cooling and reasonable amount of voltage.

REMEMBER FOR THE Q6600 DONT GO HIGHER THAN 70C AND 1.55V VCORE!!!

zhee

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Mine's getting to ~ 80° C with Prime95 full load. But that's with standart cooler, getting a new one today or tomorrow.
And about stepping - Cpu-Z shows stepping B and Revision G0. So is suppose it might be G0, because I don't quite remember wich one was it when i bought it :D

[EDITED]
Just installed Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 (blowing towards back). Prime95 load temps < 50. I'm thinking of increasing to 3.2 GHz. Wouldn't it be too high with my system specs?

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

An easy and often used setting on Q6600 OC is to set the FSB to 400 and lower the multiplier to 8, using this you would be running your ram at 1:1 (remember to set latency and voltage for your ram in BIOS).
When I had mine overclocked it didn't need much extra voltage @ 3.2, but taking it to 3.6 (which is the setting I used for gaming) I had to up the voltage quite a bit.

TRENDING THREADS