EX58-UD4P: Overheating causing shutdown?

smithwr3

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I just conducted a major upgrade of my system and am now have random system shutdowns when playing games. I've never had these problems before. My old system had the following components:

AMD X2 64-bit 4400 processor
Gigabyte K8N Ultra-9 (Nvidia Nforce 4 chipset) motherboard
3 Gb Cosair RAM
Nvidia 7800 GTX
ANTEC 500 Watt PSU

My new system has the following loadout:
Intel Core I7 920
Gigabyte EX58-UD4P motherboard
Cosair DDR3 RAM (6 GB)
Nvidia 280GTX
Revolution PSU (1050 watt)

The system seems to be fine when just using the internet, but after about 2 minutes of playing games, the system will shut off. I run the Easy Tune 6.0 software and the CPU runs about 160 degrees and the case around 120 degrees.

bilbat

Splendid
Ahhh - that's really hot! You might want to check to see that all your heatsink clips are fully/properly seated; it's also possible that you didn't get a good spread from your TIM application. Another possibility: between a lot of GPU heat dump, and the CPU heat sink, you might not have enough raw airflow into & out of the case itself. One more - if you're using a stock Intel heatsink - don't ;=) - trash it (well, it's already trash) and buy something else (anything else will have twice or more the thermal transfer of the tawdry thing Intel includes)

smithwr3

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I think it is installed correctly. The manual says to make sure the clips from the heat sink go through the motherboard and they are. The temp is around 70 degrees C/160 degees F at idle. Any suggestions on a new heatsink? Preferably something I can buy locally at Best Buy.

smithwr3

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Something I just noticed on EasyTune6... Under the CPU tab in the Clocks section, the CPU changes from about 1,700 MHz up to 5,600 Mhz. I thought my CPU's were 2.6 GHz or so. That's a weird reading...

smithwr3

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I'm not overclocking. I've flashed the bios to F5 and have changed everything to the stock parameters. Also I've changed all of the turbo settings back to normal.

Did you install the OEM or an aftermarket HSF? There has to be something wrong with your installation, i.e., too much heat paste or none at all. If you're not overclocking and the voltage is set at [default], it shouldn't overheat.

smithwr3

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I installed the heat sink fan that came with the CPU. It had some paste on it and it is making contact with the CPU. With the clock multiplier jumping between 15 and 42, I think either the CPU or the motherboard may be bad.

bilbat

Splendid
EasyTune (all versions) is a buggy POC - don't believe, or be concerned with it; do be concerned about the high temps; your HS pins may be in the holes, but - most heatsinks have a 'locking' procedure, usually involving turning an inner pin inside an outer locking mechanism - be sure this procedure has been successful on all four pins. You should probably also go into the 'PC Health Status' page in the BIOS, enable 'CPU Warning Temperature', and set it to no more than 70c - CPUs make awfully expensive fuses!

smithwr3

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Thanks for the tips. I'll open the computer up later today and recheck the HS pins. I let the computer run all night and now it is about 52C/129F on the CPU and 31C/87F on the system . I think adding an ANTEC graphics card fan in the case may have helped a little bit.

smithwr3

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I checked the HS pins and two were not secured all the way down. I was able to play Dead Space for about an hour with no shutdown. The temp after playing was 56C/134F for the CPU and 56C/134F for the system. Before playing, the CPU was around 120F. Thanks for all of your help.

gamewizzard99

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Get a CoolerMaster N520, was on sale for 40 bucks at Fry's and i'm at 30c idle on my core i7 920, on a Gigabyte UD4P X58 mobo, also don't use the bad white spunk/paste that it comes with. I bought a tube of Artic Silver 5 for 4 dollars which has been around since I did my first built in 2002. I tried a Thermaltake Spin Q, besides it being massive it cycles the air in the case and doesn't allow your rear fan to suck out the hot air properly, it's also very obstructive if you install Dominator RAM. Also have a Thermaltake pci slot cooler which helps with cooling, also try adjusting your graphics card fan speed, those run pretty hot. What kind of fans do you have? atleast a 120mm in front and 120mm in the back is recommended.

TRENDING THREADS