clogic

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Hello,

I installed an intel ssd in my laptop running win 7. The ssd has the latest firmware. Question: does win 7 automatically do the trim function or do I have to manually use the intel disk optimization tool? Or both?
Thnx

Solution
Windows will perform TRIM automatically as long as the drive is NOT part of a RAID array and it's configured to run in AHCI mode in the BIOS.

Warning - if you installed Windows with the drive configured in IDE mode then changing the mode will render the system unbootable. There's an easy fix for this which I can describe if you need it.
Windows will perform TRIM automatically as long as the drive is NOT part of a RAID array and it's configured to run in AHCI mode in the BIOS.

Warning - if you installed Windows with the drive configured in IDE mode then changing the mode will render the system unbootable. There's an easy fix for this which I can describe if you need it.

Solution

clogic

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, there's no AHCI mode option in the bios of this laptop...it's running in IDE mode. I've heard conflicting reports on windows supporting trim in IDE mode.
I'm not sure if I can update the bios or storage driver to support AHCI.

It's a 3 yr. old 32 bit Sony Vaio, but runs quite fast and is very snappy with the SSD. Perhaps if it ain't broke, I should leave it as it is?

duck_of_death

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I know this is an old thread, but it popped up for me, without me doing any searching, so I thought I'd add a response to the question about determining if TRIM is on. There is a utility in Windows 7 that will tell you whether it's running; FSUTIL.exe.

To use it, open a command box with admin privs, by typing CMD in the Start > Run box, and hitting CTRL-SHIFT-Enter. In the command box, type "fsutil.exe behavior query DisableDeleteNotify" and hit Enter. (It's not case-sensitive. That just makes it easier to read.)

If TRIM is running, it will respond with DisableDeleteNotify = 0.
If it doesn't, type "fsutil.exe behavior SET disabledeletenotify 0", and hit Enter.

reallytangy

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

Nothing against you Duck but I would actually like to set the record straight for others that are searching on what "fsutil.exe behavior SET disabledeletenotify 0" REALLY is.

The aforementioned command is telling you that Windows 7 is configured to SEND the TRIM command NOT that your computer is ACTUALLY RUNNING in TRIM mode. I've confirmed this by running this command on systems that don't even (or have never had) an SSD installed.

As for a utility that can tell you if the system is actually using TRIM, you can use the Intel SSD Toolbox Utility (ONLY for Intel SSD's). With this utility you can manage the TRIM intervals, see drive health, etc. http://www.intel.com/support/go/ssdtoolbox/index.htm

Also, there's a good thread going on in regards to those who have older SSD's that don't support TRIM, are running SSD's in RAID mode, or are using them in Operating Systems that don't support sending the TRIM command here, http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/272148-32-alternative-trim. It looks like they might of found a 'poor mans TRIM'.

G

Argh! I'm really sick of the same standard answers everywhere. Good that at least one person see that "fsutil magic trick" is just a lie.

Everyone pretend to be so smart and trying to explain everyone how trim works etc. But not even one person (and not only here, on this forum) can say how to start TRIM manually (using windows command), how to check is trim working, not even one tool that at least shows us that TRIM is not just our imagination. Windows 7 supports TRIM? Ok, prove it! Shows us at least one tool to monitor that trim function, because now we have really sick situation where everyone knows everything about trim, but nobody can answer simplest question. It's like "how do I can trim manually?" and answer "Windows 7 makes this automatically, you don't need trim manually". What a stupid answer, really, even worse than "reinstall Windows".

Internet becomes place where most of people pretend that they know something by copy other's answers. Lame.

obcsvk

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
OK. simplest "TRIM" = do not epmty your HDD until HDD is near full !!!! leave it alone

Works on MAC and PC, old and new hardware even if your SSD not have TRIM....

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: