PSU advice for a highend Core i7 build, pretty please :)

apollux

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hi!

I´m putting together a new machine based on an overclocked 920i (hopefully OCed @ around the 4 GHz mark). This machine will be mainly used as a workstation for Architectural Visualization, most of all for GI Rendering. It may see some gaming use now and then, but heavy rendering will be it's fate.

The components selected so far are:
CPU: Core i7 920 (overclocked)
MB: GA-EX58-UD5
RAM: Corsair Dominator 6GB 1600
Storage: Still undecided, but looks like will use 2x SATA 1TB HDDs
Video: Undecided, but leaning to some flavor of the Nvidia GTX 260+
OS: OpenSuse Linux with a virtualized Vista 64 running on top (rendering is just way smoother on Linux).

At first I was planning to go with the Corsair 620w HX, but after reading this month SBM $2500 OC machine -with a similiar list of components- eat up to 589w just with the CPU loaded, and up to 760w with it's triple 260 + CPU fully loaded feels like 620w doesn't leave much breathing space. Sure I will be using just a single video card... until the upgrade bug bites me again.

Now, when it comes to PSU, my criteria is efficiency first (here in the Dominican Republic with enjoy one of the world's higher electricity bills) and silent operation next (when designing I have to seat beside the computer for very long sessions -like 8-10 hours straight long).

What PSU would you recommend for this particular case? :sarcastic:

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
how about the PC power and cooling 750W. most PSU's these days have about the same efficiency. it really depends on how it is loaded. Since you say it is for rendering, which will take a lot of CPU and GPU, having a PSU that is a little more than peak load would result in about the best efficiency.

Also, since you are doing a lot of rendering, have you looked into getting an NVidia Quadro card? Those are meant for rendering large things. Although they are expensive, they could really increase productivity.

wimcle

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
the CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W is a better choice, its Seasonic sourced and it has all its 12v on one rail...

I'm using it for my 920@3.8 + gtx280

no modular plugs, but they aren't worth $40 extra imho

apollux

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hey, thanks for all the suggestions given so far.

The Extreme PSU Calculator says that I need about 723w, but the number changes a lot depending on what voltage I select for the i920 overclock. And if I ever wanted to go SLI with the GTX260 the number flies to 859w... seems like the 620w PSU definitely won't cut it !

About the Quadro cards, they are good for real-time visualization, like when working in your CAD application. But as soon as you press the "RENDER" button on a 3D app like 3D Studio or Cinema4D, it is all on the CPU and RAM shoulders. Thanks tough.