Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Cooler Master
  • Arctic
  • Silver
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
January 27, 2010 10:38:39 PM

this question was probably asked a million times but i cant seem find a definite answer. i have a coolermaster 212+ and as5 thermal paste. I have a i5 750 and was wondering what the proper way to apply the as5 was. thank you

More about : applying arctic silver

a b K Overclocking
January 27, 2010 10:58:45 PM

You will never find a definite answer, everyone of these threads turns into a major arguement. Probably the reason why you cant find a definite answer. So im going to end this before it begins.

There are 5 major ways people like to apply tim. The temperature difference is minimal between them though.

1. Apply a small line of as5 across the cores of the cpu, from one end to the other, then let the pressure evenly distribute tim across the whol cpu.

2. Put a pea sized drop in the middle of the cpu and then let the pressure distribute it throughout the cpu.

3. Put a plastic bag over your hand then put tim on the bag. Using your finger wipe the tim all over the cpu.

4. Same as 3 but also put tim on the heatsink.

5. Put 4-5 quarter- pea sized dots all around the cpu then let the pressure of the heatsink spread it out.

I hope that helps, there are many other ways, but these are th top 5 that most people use.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
March 18, 2010 12:23:02 AM

Your other option is to just go to the Arctic Silver web site and follow their instruction applications for your specific cpu.
m
l
March 18, 2010 1:12:55 AM

If you see the pictures done on HDT Heatsyncs you will know that Arctic Silvers site shows one of the worst ways for a HDT heatsync, because of the shape of the bottom, 4ryan6 also showed me pics from his Xega and you can clearly see the groves that a HDT heatsync leaves, if you only apply one drop in the middle, it will only spread about 65% over the surface of the CPU and heatsync, now this is only on HDT heatsyncs or Non flush ones. So Artic Silver's site should also include a set of HDT ( Heat-pipe Direct Touch ) intructions.
m
l