Just bought a MSI A500 T3100 Nvida 8m gt 8200

dball

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Hello
I HAVE READ A ARTICLE WHERE THIS GETNTLEMAN SAID HE HAD HIS RUNNING AT 3.0ghZ ,, iT CAME WITH 1.9 ,, i WANT TO SEE IF i can unleash some of the power!! But this is my first laptop, I never had a problem with getting into my desktops, and changing the multiplier and so on.. Can anyone help???

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
That is like a over 50% overclock! That would be considered a great achievement on a desk top PC that is water cooled. :O

Laptops are not usually designed to OC what with the extra heat involved and all. Goes against battery life amongst other things as well. :(

Try contacting the gentleman who wrote this article and finding out how he did this and if it was practical assuming he is on the up and up here my friend.

Good luck and happy OC'n. :)

dball

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Thanks a lot !!! I wasn't sure if it was credible,, thats why I came to toms and asked the question....
Is it even possible to overclock a laptop like this ? I tried to just download the new drivers for the video card and it wont let me ... this machine is very picky,, and it wont let me get into the BIOS
I am a little gullable.... It is so much easier to make adjustments with may desktop !!! Dante

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002

Unfortunately more than a few people have been told they can OC their laptop and thou there may be one that does, the vast majority of them do not.

As you mentioned they either have a locked BIOS or only allow changes to boot order or some other generally insignificant setting that will not qualify as OC'ing.

As far as your graphics driver, hope you still have the original set up CD for your lap top, normally before you can install a new grahics driver you have to uninstall the old one. Just download and save.:)

Might want to check the grahics card site and make sure it is meant for a "mobile graphics card" as this might produce more heat which again is against the battery life of your lap top. Thus why it may not allow it to install.

Good luck to you.:)

Oh, you are right. Desk tops do for the most part allow more adjustments.:D But there are exceptions even with them, thou getting some like that are rarer now a days.