Kingston usb memory stick problems

Lola_86

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
What causes a USB memory stick to stop working? I have tried plugging it in to different computers however none are able to read it. The only thing I can think of which may have effected it is I accidentally hit it against a wall while plugged into my laptop that may have tweaked it? If its broken for good is there any way to retrieve the information that is saved on it? Thank you!

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
There are two types of failure origins - mechanical and electrical. Electrical would be something like being zapped with static electricity, but since I don't know how you would fix something like that, I will go on to mechanical. Mechanical would be a broken connector, solder joint, or trace. I had a crucial drive fail like this once; most of the force of connecting and disconnecting the drive was born by the ground connections between the usb connector and board, which broke eventually.
I would pry the drive apart if possible (don't cut yourself!) and look for broken or loose joints. If you find any, there are repair methods.