Your question

4850 how hot is too hot ?

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Asus
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 7, 2008 12:46:11 PM

ive ben using my 4850 for a few months now and have red about how hot it gets . i have the asus eah4850 wich comes with the asus smart doctor . i can set the fan speed , enable overheat protection , set temature alarm settings . the fan jumps to 100% when triped . i have the alarm set at 90c . when gaming my card will hit temps of 97+c . i still have the stock cooler on it .my fan is set to 60% . how hot is too hot ? is my alarm set too low ? what would be an avrage temp under load ? the games i play most are time shift , cod4 , command and conquer cans wrath , oblivion ect. my last card was a 7600gtoc .

More about : 4850 hot hot

a b Ĉ ASUS
November 7, 2008 1:23:15 PM

The 4850 is designed to take quite a bit of heat.
105c is the upper limit and when it reaches this point, it will throttle your clocks to help cool it off.
Try jacking the fan speed to 35% or higher.
Doing so will give you a little more headroom before reaching the thermal limit.
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 7, 2008 1:25:34 PM

Quote:
You are not allowed to edit this message!

Back to previous page

:fou: 

I missed where you stated your fan speed was already set to 60%.
Perhaps you should invest in a few extra case fans.
A side panel mounted 120mm fan feeding your 4850 fresh air may give you an upper hand over these temps.
Related resources
November 7, 2008 1:43:35 PM

Put a 250mm side fan on. Much more effective. Another option is a slot cooler beside the video card.
November 7, 2008 2:13:34 PM

A friend of mine bought a Visiontek 4850 from Best Buy about 3 months ago. He never changed the default fan speed. Now he says he is getting artifacts and I assume that is because the card is getting too hot for too long. His case is has 3 x 120 mm fans and he keeps it in a rather cool room too.

The 4850's heat sink is rather dinky. It was good for the 3850s but it is not good enough in my opinion for the 4850s. The default fan speed should have been higher too.
November 7, 2008 2:34:15 PM

I think your best bet is a side case fan if possible and assuming you don’t already have one.

I don’t know what ATI/amd is thinking releasing the 4800 series with such inadequate cooling.
I have a 4870x2 and I have to say im nothing short of disgusted with the temps using stock cooling. The card raises the temps of the entire case!
This latest build I wanted to not use water and go for silence…. Looks like I have to invest time/money into a custom water setup to achieve what I want.
November 7, 2008 3:28:06 PM

I agree with Grieve. Better cooling was the only thing preventing the 48XX series from being one of the best cards of all time.

I think the best deal for a 4850 is MSI's version with the huge Zalman Cooler strapped on it or HIS's ICEQ4 4850. Both appear to be rather effective.
November 7, 2008 4:14:37 PM

the case im using is a cooler master 690 . it came with 3 120mm case fans and i added 2 more . 1 on the bottom and 1 on top . i have room for 2 more . all 120mm fams . ill look into a slot cooler . does the fan speed make much difference ?
November 7, 2008 11:14:56 PM

cobra420 said:
ive ben using my 4850 for a few months now and have red about how hot it gets . i have the asus eah4850 wich comes with the asus smart doctor . i can set the fan speed , enable overheat protection , set temature alarm settings . the fan jumps to 100% when triped . i have the alarm set at 90c . when gaming my card will hit temps of 97+c . i still have the stock cooler on it .my fan is set to 60% . how hot is too hot ? is my alarm set too low ? what would be an avrage temp under load ? the games i play most are time shift , cod4 , command and conquer cans wrath , oblivion ect. my last card was a 7600gtoc .

Something is wrong with your setup.

I have the same card and my temps are 40-44C idle, and 50-55C gaming (long hours of EQ2 and COD4 with all the settings maxxed). My fan is set to 65% using CCC.

By the way, I would highly recommend that you stop using the Asus Smart Doctor. CCC can do everything Smart doctor can, and doesn't force you to install crap like GamerOSD. Uninstalling GamerOSD will cause serious issues with your drivers, so it's better not to use it in the first place.
November 9, 2008 8:22:58 PM

its important to get a good aftermarket cooler for those in general.

The temps taht are too hot are 89 and upper, yes it sounds 2 conservative, but over 89C beeing that A LIMIT, the core cant transfer any advanced shading, advanced anything, (DX10).

How do i know this? I runned my corssfired atis in NFS Carbono at 128 C, with fixed clock, and np, but any DX10 game craps.

Problem is the 256 bit conection, and the hability of the card to choose how to use those massive 800 stream procesors.

Luckly drivers in future will solve this, but right now, aftermarket cooling is desperatly needed if u plan to push this card to its limit, even on stock clock.
November 10, 2008 12:22:42 PM

kingtz said:
Something is wrong with your setup.

I have the same card and my temps are 40-44C idle, and 50-55C gaming (long hours of EQ2 and COD4 with all the settings maxxed). My fan is set to 65% using CCC.

By the way, I would highly recommend that you stop using the Asus Smart Doctor. CCC can do everything Smart doctor can, and doesn't force you to install crap like GamerOSD. Uninstalling GamerOSD will cause serious issues with your drivers, so it's better not to use it in the first place.

I have to say the same thing. I run 2 4850's in crossfire. At 35% fan they idle in the 60's, when gaming i ramp the fans up to 50% and the cards top out in the low 80's. If you're fan is at 60% then you shouldn't be hitting the temps you are. Are you sure the fan speeds changed when you used the program (you will definitely here the difference in speed.). The latest catalyst alow CCC to control the fans manually or automatically, I would drop the other programs and monitor your cards thru CCC.

Also as mentioned make sure you have proper airflow in your case. I have a 120mm going in, another going out, and a 250mm side fan.
November 16, 2008 2:51:05 AM

My temps are almost the same as the OPs...When I set my fan speed to 55%, the card reaches a temp of about 103, which scares the $h|t out of me...will a pci slot cooler help? cuz i really dont want to fry the video card...

November 24, 2008 5:34:05 PM

A slot cooler will probably help, but you might also want to make sure your case is clean. Dust is a great insulator and will heat things up fast if it builds up.

I have my 4850 at stock fan speeds and it never gets over about 88C overclocked through ATI Overdrive. I've ran it that way for months now and nothing. Typically it hovers in the low 80s. If I turn the fan up to about 50-60%, it stays in the 50-60 range.

I called VisionTek about this and they said the average NORMAL temps can get up to 95C for the 4800 cards. The fan kicks on 100% in the upper 100s.
April 28, 2009 4:34:39 PM

I have the 4850 toxic and i recommend it to everyone the thing is soooo cool and quiet. I cant believe it stays bellow 50 and it comes overclocked to 675mhz! I could use catalyst to up that more but seems like a silly idea for an extra 3 fps...what do yall think? also whenyou stick a stock cooler on doesnt that void warranties?
!