HOME VS PRO

Hi all
Can someone please point out some of the advantages of XP PRO against XP
HOME ?
TIA
Guy
5 answers Last reply
More about home

    "Guy Cohen" <control@mediatek.co.il> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    > Can someone please point out some of the advantages of XP PRO against XP
    > HOME ?
    > TIA

    see
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "Guy Cohen" <control@mediatek.co.il> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    > Can someone please point out some of the advantages of XP PRO against XP
    > HOME ?
    > TIA
    > Guy

    Hi Guy,

    The core operating system is the same. Differences:

    - WinXP Pro will allow 10 inbound connections, Home only 5
    - Pro has policy editors (useful in a corporate environment)
    - Pro has IIS (useful if you build server apps)
    - Pro can become part of a domain (another corporate use)
    - Both use simple file sharing by default, but it can only be disabled in
    Pro
    - Firewall and file security between users is the same
    - Encrypted file system is only available in Pro

    If you need any of the benefits of a Pro system, then go with it. Otherwise,
    most home users are happy with XP Home.

    More details:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Guy Cohen" <control@mediatek.co.il> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    > Can someone please point out some of the advantages of XP PRO against XP
    > HOME ?
    > TIA
    > Guy

    "Guy Cohen" <control@mediatek.co.il> wrote:

    >Hi all
    >Can someone please point out some of the advantages of XP PRO against XP
    >HOME ?
    >TIA
    >Guy

    The other responses have pointed out the major differences.

    One important thing to remember is that there is zero difference in
    performance or stability between the two versions (with the exception
    of a PC with two CPU chips installed as Pro will use both CPUs and
    Home will only use one). Both versions are compiled from the same
    source code base.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Guy Cohen wrote:
    > Hi all
    > Can someone please point out some of the advantages of XP PRO against XP
    > HOME ?
    > TIA
    > Guy

    Without knowing the precise situation in which the OS is to be used,
    and the exact uses to which the computer will be put, there's no way to
    even say which version would be more "advantageous" to you.

    The WinXP Home and WinXP Pro versions are _identical_ when it comes
    to performance, stability, and device driver and software application
    compatibility, but are intended to meet different functionality,
    networking, security, and ease-of-use needs, in different environments.
    The most significant differences are that WinXP Pro allows up to 10
    simultaneous inbound network connections while WinXP Home only allows
    only 5, WinXP Pro is designed to join a Microsoft domain (a crucial
    capability at most universities) while WinXP Home cannot, and only WinXP
    Pro supports file encryption and IIS. (Oh, and WinXP Pro usually costs
    roughly $100 USD more than WinXP Home.)

    Windows XP Comparison Guide
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    Which Edition Is Right for You
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

    Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    NETWORKING

    Home only supports Workgroup networking
    Pro is designed for people who use a Domain network

    This is the main difference between the two

    Jayso

    Please reply to this email so I know if i'm right :)

    Good in Home Networking, XP Home based problems, and Pro based Problems
    Add my email to MSN Messenger if u wish
    jayso_chinnery@spamfreehotmail.com.au (remove spamfree)

    "Guy Cohen" <control@mediatek.co.il> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    > Can someone please point out some of the advantages of XP PRO against XP
    > HOME ?
    > TIA
    > Guy

Microsoft Windows XP