Hi all
Can someone please point out some of the advantages of XP PRO against XP
HOME ?
TIA
Guy

"Guy Cohen" <control@mediatek.co.il> wrote in message
> Hi all
> Can someone please point out some of the advantages of XP PRO against XP
> HOME ?
> TIA

see
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Guy Cohen" <control@mediatek.co.il> wrote in message
> Hi all
> Can someone please point out some of the advantages of XP PRO against XP
> HOME ?
> TIA
> Guy

Hi Guy,

The core operating system is the same. Differences:

- WinXP Pro will allow 10 inbound connections, Home only 5
- Pro has policy editors (useful in a corporate environment)
- Pro has IIS (useful if you build server apps)
- Pro can become part of a domain (another corporate use)
- Both use simple file sharing by default, but it can only be disabled in
Pro
- Firewall and file security between users is the same
- Encrypted file system is only available in Pro

If you need any of the benefits of a Pro system, then go with it. Otherwise,
most home users are happy with XP Home.

More details:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Guy Cohen" <control@mediatek.co.il> wrote in message
> Hi all
> Can someone please point out some of the advantages of XP PRO against XP
> HOME ?
> TIA
> Guy

"Guy Cohen" <control@mediatek.co.il> wrote:

>Hi all
>Can someone please point out some of the advantages of XP PRO against XP
>HOME ?
>TIA
>Guy

The other responses have pointed out the major differences.

One important thing to remember is that there is zero difference in
performance or stability between the two versions (with the exception
of a PC with two CPU chips installed as Pro will use both CPUs and
Home will only use one). Both versions are compiled from the same
source code base.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Guy Cohen wrote:
> Hi all
> Can someone please point out some of the advantages of XP PRO against XP
> HOME ?
> TIA
> Guy

Without knowing the precise situation in which the OS is to be used,
and the exact uses to which the computer will be put, there's no way to
even say which version would be more "advantageous" to you.

The WinXP Home and WinXP Pro versions are _identical_ when it comes
to performance, stability, and device driver and software application
compatibility, but are intended to meet different functionality,
networking, security, and ease-of-use needs, in different environments.
The most significant differences are that WinXP Pro allows up to 10
simultaneous inbound network connections while WinXP Home only allows
only 5, WinXP Pro is designed to join a Microsoft domain (a crucial
capability at most universities) while WinXP Home cannot, and only WinXP
Pro supports file encryption and IIS. (Oh, and WinXP Pro usually costs
roughly $100 USD more than WinXP Home.)

Windows XP Comparison Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

Which Edition Is Right for You
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

NETWORKING

Home only supports Workgroup networking
Pro is designed for people who use a Domain network

This is the main difference between the two

Jayso

Please reply to this email so I know if i'm right :)

Good in Home Networking, XP Home based problems, and Pro based Problems
Add my email to MSN Messenger if u wish
jayso_chinnery@spamfreehotmail.com.au (remove spamfree)