Sign in with
Your question
Solved

E5200 overclocking help!

Last response: in Overclocking
January 28, 2010 2:12:10 AM

Hi all, thanks in advance for the help. Sorry if it's long, but figured too many details are better than too few!

I just tried OC'ing for the first time yesterday by just raising my bus speed from 200MHz to 220, with a 12.5x multiplier, giving me an OC from 2.5GHz to 2.75GHz.. I went to 220, and ended up having corrupt registry values... long story short, I'm assuming I screwed something up.

My MB is fairly limited on options. Here are some of my BIOS settings:

Multiplier: 12.5 (greyed out, and I think un-changeable)
CPU Over-clocking Func.: Enabled
CPU Over-clocking Freq.: (changeable... default is 200) --- this is what I had raised to 220.
Spread Spectrum: Disabled
Limit CPUID MaxVal: Disabled
Enhanced Halt (C1E): Enabled --- should I disable? It's a power saving function, correct?
Intel XD Bit: Disabled
Intel EIST: Disabled
APIC Mode: Enabled (leaving this alone, not sure what it does)
Smart Fan Function: Enabled --- Should I disable, would that keep the fan running high constantly?

This is where I'm really confused:
DRAM Frequency: Auto (have the option of setting it to 667 or 800)
---- Should I alter this?
Configure DRAM Timing by SPD: Enabled
Memory Remap Feature: Enabled --- good for Win7, correct?
HPET: Enabled --- no clue.

Specs:
Motherboard: ECS g41t-m(2.0) --- Not the best for OC'ing I've heard, but I hope It'l get me to 3.3GHz or so.
CPU: Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz
CPU fan/heatsink: ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2GB DDR2 800 (1 stick of 2G RAM)
PSU: 650W Diablotek
Temps: around 42c and 40c cores while running prime95, with the bus set to 220MHz.

I have read through a bunch of tutorials, but I'm still confused on how to set the DRAM Frequency... Do other boards have an option to set it to 1:1, 4:5, etc.? I think I would have a better understanding of OC'ing if I had a board that was more customizable :D  My RAM is rated at 4-4-4-12, but I can't change these values in the BIOS either. Basically, the tutorials I've been reading keep mentioning changing all of these different values, which I don't even seem to have access to :cry:  Should I set my DRAM frequency to 667, that way the faster bus speed won't overuse the RAM?

I have read of people OC'ing to 3.3GHz+ with the same setup, is this just from upping the bus speed a ton?

Any help appreciated!

-Matt

More about : e5200 overclocking

January 28, 2010 2:18:20 AM

when ocing the cpu you should always select 1:1 or 2x mem multiplier.and try set the voltage of your cpu and ram to standard value.this is to prevent the mobo itself putting too much unnecessory voltage to the component.and you can work your way up from there.
January 28, 2010 2:51:19 AM

iluvgillgill said:
when ocing the cpu you should always select 1:1 or 2x mem multiplier.and try set the voltage of your cpu and ram to standard value.this is to prevent the mobo itself putting too much unnecessory voltage to the component.and you can work your way up from there.

I don't think I can alter the memory multiplier, which may be a problem. Would that be "Configure the DRAM timing by SPD"? I think I only had a disable/enable option for that. And I can only alter the DRAM frequency to auto, 667, or 800.

My MB also does not support voltage adjustments, as far as I know. Everything is greyed out for voltage adjustments in the BIOS, and I remember reading a review on my MB stating that they're were not any voltage adjustment options.
Related resources
January 28, 2010 3:00:21 AM

Okay, so after my last post.. I looked up "Configure the DRAM timing by SPD", and went back into my BIOS. When I disable this, I get all of the RAM timings :D 

Here is what everything is set to:
DRAM tCL 5
tRCD 5
tRP 5
tRAS 18
---Should I set these to 4,4,4,12?
tWR 6
tRFC 52
tWTR 3
tRRD 3
tRTP 3

I still see no option to alter the memory multiplier, but I might be missing something here. I'm not sure what all of these values are.

Best solution

a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
January 28, 2010 11:59:18 AM

ECS motherboards usually do not have many OC options. Somewhere you should see an FSB setting. It should be set to 200 MHz by your CPU. Try increasing it to 266 MHz.

If that doesn't work, leave it at 266 and start decreasing your CPU's multiplier.

If that doesn't work, you pretty much have two choices: run at stock speed or speed $75 or so for a Gigabyte G41 board.
January 28, 2010 4:43:20 PM

Okay, so I'm confused about the ratio and the ram speed.

I switched my DRAM frequency from AUTO, and set it to 667. This changes my ratio from 1:2 to 3:5, right?

In CPU-Z, I am getting a DRAM frequency of 383.3MHz, instead of the 460ishMHz that I was getting with the BIOS DRAM frequency set to auto.

With the 1:2 memory ratio, is it bad that CPU-Z is reading 460MHz, for DDR2 800? DDR2 800 is only rated to support up to 400MHz right?

So by turning my BIOS DRAM frequency down to 667, I am keeping my actual RAM
DRAM Frequency under 400, which is good right? That way I can further increase my FSB speed without destroying my RAM?

Can someone let me know if this is correct? I don't want to turn my FSB up too high in the BIOS, and have it destroy my RAM.

Also, I don't see any way to manually set my USB and PCIe frequencies in my BIOS, is this a problem?

Oh, and once again, I'm pretty sure I can't change my multiplier (which is currently 12.5x), and I also can't adjust my voltage either. All I have to work with is my bus speed, my RAM timings, my DRAM frequency, and then all that power saving junk that I have enabled.
February 3, 2010 9:16:37 PM

Best answer selected by msal.
!