Is my motherboard dead???

kopykat

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2004
Hi all,
The other day I swapped my graphic cards and apparently didn't notice a loose IDE cable jamming the cpu fan :-S ! Anyways, Here are the symptoms, to power up the pc I need to hold the power button for a few seconds (kinda like a kick start), otherwise it'll shut down right away. I dont get any beeps or anything from the mobo and obviously no display. The only that doesn't make sense to me is, if the cpu was overheating (cause the fan was jammed) wouldn't the pc automaticly shut down as a precaution? and also if the cpu overheated, why would that mean my mobo is dead? any suggestions how to tackle this issue?

Thanks.

Mondoman

Splendid
No, PC wouldn't shut itself down, but you would think that the CPU chip would do so. If you can get a hold of another CPU to try on your MB, that might work. Of course, first try the usual things such as clearing the CMOS.

kopykat

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2004
tried clearing the CMOS, didnt do anything. The LED display on the motherboard displays - - . (two dashes) . Where am i gonna get another cpu now :-S errrr

Two dashes? Sounds something like my nVidia 680i motherboard. If so, that indicates that the POST isn't even starting. Assuming that neither the main power or the CPU power plug is loose and you do not have a short shutting down the PSU, your problem is most likely motherboard, CPU, or PSU.

kopykat

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2004
All of the above components worked fine on another motherboard. Forgot to mention that. The only part that I didnt test swap is the PSU, but seems so unlikely and im way too lazy to swap power supplies.

Mondoman

Splendid
Well, sounds like either the PS or MB, or you messed up a cable/connector/something else when you fiddled with the system in the first place. The last is the most probable, the first is my second choice, and the MB is my last choice.

kopykat

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2004
so how should do you suggest I figure out if its any of what ur saying? gotta swap out the psu? and see if i get the same results? If I do, its the MB if i dont its the PSU, I guess its worth a shot.

kopykat

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2004
ok, so I went super lazy... I stretched out the power cables from a nearby pc to mine, just to feed power to the mobo... fired it up and nada, still no post. Any last suggestions before i spend my hard earned cash on a new mobo? (suggestions may include which mobo I should get ;)