Asus P5N-D Overheating

Last response: in Motherboards
February 9, 2009 10:30:44 AM

[Product Information]
*Product Type : Motherboard
*Product Model : P5N-D

[Motherboard Specification]
*Motherboard Revision : SMBIOS 2.4
*Motherboard BIOS Revision : Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS P5N-D ACPI BIOS Revision 1001, 13/01/2009

[VGA Card Specification]
*VGA Card Vendor : NVIDIA
*VGA Card Model : 9800 GT
*VGA Card Chipset : NVIDIA
*VGA Card Driver : NVIDIA 6.14.11.8122

[CPU Specification]
*CPU Vendor : INTEL
*CPU Type : QUAD CORE Socket 775
*CPU Speed : 2.4 GHZ

[Memory Specification]
*Memory Vendor : GeLL
*Memory Model : PC 6400
*Memory Capacity : 2 GB

[HDD Specification]
HDD Vendor : MAXTOR
HDD Model : SATA Diamond plus MAX
HDD Capacity : 80

[Add-on Card Specificatio]
Add-on Card Vendor :
Add-on Card Type :
Add-on Card Model :

*Operating System : WinXP

[Problem Description]
I bought this motherboard recently, I have installed and troubleshoot for the problem which is causing a high temperature for the motherboard.

Both BIOS and PC Probe II shows MB Temperature Abnormal, 49 degrees centigrade

CPU Temp: 38 Degrees
CPU Volt. 1.2160 V
Memory: 1.850 V
+12v: 11.97 V
+5v: 5.00 V
+3.3v: 3.26 V

Please note that I have even update the BIOS to Rev. 1001 but still no change in the temperature.

The computer restarts when motherboard temp is around 50 degrees.

I even used the stock fan which came in the box on the NB heatsink still no change in the motherboard temp.

After turning off the PC, I tried to touch the heatsink but it does not seem to be too hot of 50 deg.

I even tried the motherboard with less hardware devices such as one memory one hdd and one display graphic without fitting them in the case. Still no change in the temp.

I made sure the casing having good air flow so i installed 2 more fan extractors to flow air in and the other one out. still no change.

I changed the power supply from 520 watt to 650 watt still no change in temp.

Therefore, there is no problem with the case, with the graphics card, neither with the hdd nor the memory. The CPU shows a good temp of 38 deg.

Tried to setup win XP and Vista both freezes and computer restarts when its a high temp of above 50 deg.

I would like to know if you think there is a problem with the motherboard, or whether the software is probing the wrong temp. I think the motherboard seems to be normal except for the high temperature measuring which causing the reboot every time.

Please do advice for any alternatives. Thank you.

More about : asus p5n overheating

February 9, 2009 6:55:45 PM

Please do advice for any alternatives. Please do help.. Thank you.

:o  I got some new updates:

I think it might be the sensors on the motherboard not working well. As the Nvidia Graphics card is quite big in size, it may prevent the sensor to measure the temp on the motherboard correctly? Any idea wat do u think? :ange: 
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2009 11:31:07 PM

I don't recall my Asus P5N-D ever rebooting from high motherboard temps.

You may want to remove the NB and SB heatsinks, remove the thermal compound that Asus uses. Believe me, its crappy, hard as a rock. Add your own, reinstall the heatsinks. I did mine with AS5 and now it runs at about 38C only.
Related resources
February 10, 2009 8:59:12 AM

Flyin15sec Thanks for your reply... Actually i did changed the thermal compound for both NB n SB. But the temperature still shows 49 to 50 deg.

Actually when i touch the heatsinks with my finger they does not feel to be that hot of 50 deg. Even when i touch the motherboard edge it seems to be having a fair temperature not too high though.

Does that mean the sensors on the motherboard are not probing correctly?
February 10, 2009 3:23:58 PM

I have the same POS MB. I was also having a lot of issues with it, but I could finally manage it to run rock-solid now.

1 - Update the BIOS to 1008 (I think this is the latest version at ASUS website)

2 - Go to the BIOS settings and manually set all voltages (CPU, NB, SB) to reasonable values. I noticed that on AUTO everything is pushed to or over the limit, leading to sky-rocket temperatures.

3 - Install that freakin fan for the NB. In my experience there is no way to run this board stable without it (and I'm running it in a Antec 900 case...)

4 - If you do overclock your system, you may find some issues trying to "save" the settings you have applied. You have to have a significant jump from one setting to the other to record the changes and, if that doesn't work, you will have to reset the CMOS jumper to be able to change the settings again. When you hit save in BIOS settings and get an "updating ROMSIP whatever" message it means that the values have been recorded.

If none of this works, RMA it. I have had many ASUS boards over the years and this one is the worst. It's functional now, but is far of what I would expect from ASUS. That pretty much tells me that when I upgrade my computer in the future, I will strongly consider EVGA or Gygabyte...

Good luck!
February 10, 2009 4:00:29 PM

i have the same %%# board , crashes , lock ups , blue screens mainly on non game apps such as watching stand def videos or high def now that its older im starting to see crashes in horribly coded games , the latest one being fear 2 , i havent upgrade to the new bios or set my volt man. yet i will try i hope i finally get a stable pc, well for the most part it works but random bs here and there kills the joy
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2009 7:01:41 PM

Only time I've had crashes or BSOD, is because I had an unstable overclock. I understand this board is not the best, but definitely it will work fine, if you tune it correctly with overclocks.

February 10, 2009 9:31:36 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. vmardegan can you please advice me how to set the voltages manually for the CPU NB n SB. how much do i need to set them to?

I have connected the NB fan which came with the box. but no change. Can you believe i paid £103 for that board. I recently purchased. Well if i will RMA it, that company would take at least 4 weeks to give me an answer. But if i got no choice then i will have to do it.

Please note I am not looking for overclocking. I just want the motherboard to run correctly and reduce the temperature which is showing. Thanks again for ur help.

Ps: BIOS ver 1001 thats the latest version that i could find and updated from the AsusTek website.
February 10, 2009 11:47:42 PM

You are right. Version 1001 is the last one. I did not know until today, when I checked the website. I was running the 0801... Anyways, I updated mine today and it seems that still runs solid.

As for the voltages, I have 1.2 V on the CPU, HT on Auto, NB at 1.24 and SB at 1.50. I have an E8400 Oced at 3.6 ghz (400 mhz FSB).

When I was doing research to find the right values, I found that NB can go up to 1.30 and SB up to 1.70, but I have never gone that far.

Another important thing is to check your RAM voltages as well. I have a 8 Gb of OCZ ram that is specified to work up to 2.1v. That's exactly what I have set in the bios.

Forget about the temp readings in BIOS. Download RealTemp and work from there. You will be amazed on the difference between RealTemp and the BIOS.

One day I opened the case again and put I home fan blowing directly at the board. The MB temp dropped 2C (from 45 to 43). That was the day that I realized this MB is a POS. I could touch the NB sink with my bare hands and feel that the temperature wasn't even close to the 45C reported. From that day on I started to run stability tests and not worry too much with the temps. Since then, I am "a little happier" with my PC and it has been running pretty solid with Vista 64.

The only time I reboot the PC is to apply update/patches. The computer stays on 5 days in a week 24/7 and I have not had any issues over the last 4 months at least. I think this is the best I can get until I move forward to another system...

Good luck!

February 11, 2009 7:48:15 AM

Again vmardegan, Thanks a lot for your quick reply. I have understood why the motherboard is playing up.

You know i just purchased that MB days ago and i paid £103. I still have the chance to RMA it back and change it to another one.

Which motherboard would you recommend me to go for based on the above specs? Gigabyte? or else should i stick to Asus P5N-D? I may consider overclocking in the mere future. Anyone may also advice please. thanks for all your help and advice people!
February 11, 2009 1:28:55 PM

I hope you are having progress with your MB. After setting up mine it runs solid, but as I said before, it's not what I would expect from Asus.

As for MB recommendations, I can only share with you what I would purchase if I could do that today.

Running SLI (or planning to): EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 nForce 780i SLI or maybe an Asus Striker II

Running xFire (or planning to): Asus Rampage Formula

Running Single Video Card: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P

Keep in mind that I am not more than an average user and most likely somebody else may have a better offer for you other than what I have listed. Anyways, those seems to be some reasonable suggestions...

Good luck!
February 11, 2009 3:54:14 PM

vmardegan thanks again.

Can i run nvidia 9800 GT on a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P P45/ICH10. Does it support dual Graphics? It wont have function like SLi. What do u think of Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS4?

Wats the big difference between Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P iP45/ICH10 and Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3P iP45 Socket 775?? Thanks..
February 11, 2009 7:13:31 PM

The EP45-DS4 would also be a good choice. It will sure run a 9800GT, but it wont support SLId 9800GT even having the two PCIx slots. You will be able to run both video cards in the same board, but they will operate independently. If you change your 9800GT for two other AMD/ATI cards then you can do xFire on them and get them working together.

The EP45-UD3P is like the same as the DS4, but this one claims to have a better durability and cooler operational temperatures. In essesnce, seems very close to DS4, but with more copper added to the board. If the price difference between DS4 and UD3P are minimal to none, I would stick with this one.

The EP45T-UD3P is almost the same as the EP45-UD3P, but it uses DDR3 instead of DDR2. Again, since it looks you already have DDR2 and you're not planning to ditch your RAM, the DS4/EP45-UD3P seems a better option.
February 12, 2009 8:06:18 AM

Cool man!

vmardegan! Thanks for your help. With a long moment discussion on the phone, I have been able to RMA it. Now they gonna take quite a long while at least 3 weeks to check for faulty. but according to me they do have enough time and they will RMA that product and sent it back to the manufacturer Asus and get it repaired. they may credit me £103 + VAT back. Then i may choose another motherboard. but i dnt think they gonna refund me cash. Therefore i need to choose another board according to that price and with my existing specs. I'm looking for a good performance and durability and low temp.

I'm confused at the moment i just found out even Asus does iP45 motherboards. check this out Asus P5Q-E iP45. Which one do you think has a better performance asus P5Q-E iP45 or the gigabyte EP45-UD3P?

Both support Dual graphics and cross fire. Does that mean even I wont be able to SLi two Nvidia 9800 GT on the Asus P5Q-E iP45 as well? Ok in general does Intel chipset support SLi or crossfire?

Now I just do not trust Asus motherboards. Thats the second motherboard straight in a row giving me headaches. I even cud nt sleep well for many days.

I will have to choose between the Asus P5Q-E iP45 and Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. If you find the Gigabyte to be a better choice, pls let me knw I dnt mind using the 9800 GT on it and i may swap it to two ATI cards by the end of this year.

Do u think gigabyte intel chipsets are more stable when overclocking and at normal operation as compared to Asus intel chipsets?

I have seen that both motherboards come with 2 LAN adapters. Why are there 2 and how can they be useful?

Thanks a lot friend, You have enlightened me with much information. Thats good to have gud guys like you out there for help. Cheerz! :) 

February 12, 2009 10:27:17 AM

In my experience the P5N-D is a terrible board, in many respects. I did manage to get mine to run stable out of the box but then I transplanted an entire system to it, with overclocks and voltage settings set on first boot and I also added the N/B fan from day 1 too.
I did have a P5N32-E Sli PLUS board before which I bought from BTshop. I killed that with a bad BIOS flash and RMA'd, expecting a repair and was refunded in full so it may be worth trying the RMA. The P5N-D was bought as a stop-gap as it was cheap (I got mine for £80) and it was awful. 3dmark was 15% slower than the exact same setup on the p5n32!! That’s without the bad board layout, heat and other problems as mentioned!
I was lucky as I found a P5N-T Deluxe 780i board on Ebay for £70, sold the P5N-D back on the bay for £70 and got £110 back from BT on the P5N32-E! Winner!
So to the OP: Get shot of the P5N-D if you possibly can. For Sli you will need a nvidia chipset board, (unless you go core i7 and X58 mobo) so P45, X48 etc support crossfire for Ati cards only. If you don't need Sli then get a P45 X48 etc, they will be much better than an equivalent nvidia chipset!
If you do need SLI support then stay away from 680i, 750i and get a 780i or 790i. 790i are pricey so I'd look for a good 780i.
My P5N-T Deluxe has been alright for me although early samples had bad reviews. I'm running a Q9550 at 3.4Ghz with 4x 1Gb RAM and 2x 8800GT and it is very stable. The one problem I had was with BSODs (nvgts.sys) due to having SATA optical drives. To cure this I needed to use the 790i SATA driver as the newest Asus and Nvidia 780i drivers didn't cure it! (Poor show!)
Anyway, if you need SLI then dump the P5N-D and get a 780i board
February 12, 2009 2:21:44 PM

well, ever since bios 1001 , no crashes so far , alot of my problems i noticed disappeared when using different apps, such as VLC crashed on 1080p files , i upgraded to the bs player works like charm , game apps ? point at nvidia for the crashes, that is what game developers do, lol well the beta drivers fixed my fear 2 problem , its crazy how i have had this board for a year now and im still hoping for a 100% stable pc i hope 1001 is the one, and btw im not oc'ing anything

asus p5n-d
intel e8400
4x1gb ocz ddr2 800 reapers
8800gt 512mb
500 gb wd sata 3
200 gb maxtor sata 2
bfg 650w sli power supply
sony 20x dvd/rw
antec 900

i have one more problem , the on board sound i have hooked up to my HT system (philips 1000w) through the Digi coax , now the realtek/asus soundman thing wont send nuthing to my center,sub,sat.s only to the left and right , now when i enable different surrond sound modes such as party mode or dolby pro logic 2 then you can hear music on winamp , bs player some games through all speakers but still no sound on the sound test with realtek man er wutever it is , also when i turn my sound up to much it cuts out for a sec or two as if the connection was losing signal , now with my HDMI/dvd hooked up to my tv (lg 42' lcd) through my HT system sounds great full blast no cut outs nuthing, it just seems to crackle sometimes with my computer ,when i first got this speaker system i could smell the coil or wutever burning in or out of the sub with my computer but it seems to work good on the hdmi?im also missing voices maybe channels? on some games, should i get a new sound card or take my speakers back or just hook up an hdmi to my computer for the audio and see if it works like my dvd player to tv does?

btw if i were to set my voltages , what should they be set at?
February 12, 2009 2:47:26 PM

Bigbawls, sorry for my saying but that mboard really Suxs. Try to do a complete uninstall of the realtek sound driver and software. Download the latest driver from the Asus website and install. reboot! hope this might help!! Good luck mate!
February 12, 2009 2:58:24 PM

tried the asus drivers , now im gonna try realteks
February 22, 2009 9:58:28 AM

I have this board and IT RUNS GREAT!! VERY STABLE!
I have my E8400 at 3600 mhz ,with 4gb ram 5-5-5-15-20 and with SLI 8800 GTS 512.
I get P14000 in vantage .
NB is at 1.48
HT 1.48
SB 1.54
cpu vcore 1.1875
ram 1.87 liked sync mode 800 mhz
Everything is perfectly stable,never crashes ,no BSOD's.
The ONLY problem is the overheating NB even with the fan. The reason why it's that hot is that there are 2 chips under ;the NB and the NF200 for SLI
March 31, 2009 7:23:55 PM

I have the P5N-D and was seeing high temps. as many others with this board. I tried everything, re-applying paste with AS5, more case fans, heatsink fan, voltage changes, BIOS updates....EVERYTHING. Finally I had had it! Took off that POS aluminum heatsink over the NB and PCIe chips and threw it in the trash. I put on a pure copper Thermaltake 1U server cooler and am now idle @ 28-31c and under load @ ~38c (CoD4 for a half hour). I also swapped the SB heatsink, which is also aluminum with an Enzotech copper NB heatsink. I also run my fan on my 9800GTX+ @90% while gaming. This all helped ALOT! Any big video cards seem to heat the living S*%# out of this board since the sensor is between the two PCIe slots.
!