Sign in with
Your question

Which Cooler for mild O.C. in dragon?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 28, 2010 3:40:02 AM

Hello,

I want to buy a heatsink/CPU cooler that will improve upon the stock AMD, but not cost much money.
I'd like to get one within the next 24hrs, so I'll be buying it from a brick-and-mortar (like Fry's or Microcenter).

After reading online for about 4 hours, I narrowed my candidates down to either Kingwin XT-1264 and CM Hyper 212-plus.
Both cost exactly the same ($29) and both appear to be a nice improvement over stock (and the TX3).

As far as I can tell, both offer about the same temp. ranges on idle but the 212-plus gains when loaded (esp. OC'ed).
The XT-1264, however, is quieter and easier to install.

Do any of you have experience with these coolers on an AM3 board?

BTW, I have a AMD Phenom II x4 965, a Gigabyte 790-XTA UD4 and Corsair xms3 ram inside of an Antec 300.

If anyone could help that'd be great.
Or maybe some wise person will advise that I should avoid BOTH of them and go for something else (like a Hyper z600r, for example)...

Thanks all,
DragonHeart

More about : cooler mild dragon

January 28, 2010 3:41:36 AM

AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black
Gigabyte 790-XTA UD4
8gb Corsair XMS3 @1600
WD Black Caviar 640gb
ATI Radeon 5750 1gb
Win 7 Home Premium64
Antec 300 with extra front 120mm intake fan
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 28, 2010 3:57:47 AM

Personnelly i would go for the hyper 212+. its just an all around more used cooler and will suit you fine for almost any overclock you throw at is.
m
l
Related resources
January 29, 2010 3:43:20 PM

Given its healthy reviews, I went with the 212-plus as it seemed to be a "safe bet".
Also, I figured I could use the extra money I saved to buy some nice 120mm fans.

It was an adventure to install (about 3 hours!) but it was pretty fun.
I also took the chance to clean up on my cable management while the mobo was out of the case.
Now everything is tucked and wrapped nicely.

As for the cooling...seems to be a drop of around 7-8C while idle and a bit more than 10c on load.
Not shabby!

Once I put some better fans in there (I'm still running the stock Antec fans) then I should see a few more degrees drop off. BTW, the fan that comes on the heatsink is LOUD. I'll definitely be swapping that thing out since it is more than 10dBA louder than anything else.

Thanks,
DragonHeart
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 31, 2010 7:21:27 PM

DragonHeart said:
Given its healthy reviews, I went with the 212-plus as it seemed to be a "safe bet".
Also, I figured I could use the extra money I saved to buy some nice 120mm fans.

It was an adventure to install (about 3 hours!) but it was pretty fun.
I also took the chance to clean up on my cable management while the mobo was out of the case.
Now everything is tucked and wrapped nicely.

As for the cooling...seems to be a drop of around 7-8C while idle and a bit more than 10c on load.
Not shabby!

Once I put some better fans in there (I'm still running the stock Antec fans) then I should see a few more degrees drop off. BTW, the fan that comes on the heatsink is LOUD. I'll definitely be swapping that thing out since it is more than 10dBA louder than anything else.

Thanks,
DragonHeart

Wow wow 7-8 c drops on idle/10c on load? Reseat the heat sink, the Hyper 212 should easily knock off more then just 10c off load over the stock cooler.
If that doesnt drop it further, return it to Fry's or Microcenter for another Hyper 212. Whenever I went from stock to Sunbeam CCF my load temperatures dropped by 20c, and that included overclocking/overvolting even more then when I had stock cooling. The Sunbeam CCF is comparable to the Hyper 212 (Core-Contact freezer was better by like 1.2c-1.5c).

Also good choice with the TX-3, I am surprised they had any where ever you went. If you swap out the fan on the Hyper 212 you will most likely loose some of the cooling potential of the Hyper 212.
m
l
!