Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a Replacement Mobo

Last response: in Motherboards
February 9, 2009 1:38:25 PM

Hey guys.

This past week I was having problems with random freezes and eventually a refusal of the Mobo to POST. After trying everything I knew, I took it to a repair shop who tested all components and told me that he was 99% sure that the problem was the North Bridge was getting extremely hot, likely do to a bad solder joint or something.

Therefore, I'm in the market for a new one and was wondering if you guys could suggest a few. I'm not a huge gamer or do anything extremely taxing on a PC, I would like a Mobo for <$100 that will allow me to reasonably upgrade in the future.

Here are the PC stats:
XP Home
420W NZXT PSU
160GB SATA-II 7200 HD
MSI K9N Neo 550 MB
EVGA 8600GT 256
AMD x2 3800 CPU
2x1GB Corsair DDR2 800 RAM

I was thinking this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, should I think about upgrading the PSU now, or will that wattage be fine?

More about : replacement mobo

February 9, 2009 3:21:07 PM

hey, let me know where you find a motherboard. I need to replace my motherboard also. I've looked everywhere for this same model. Anyone out there know where to get a replacement?
February 9, 2009 6:05:06 PM

Fade2White12 said:

Also, should I think about upgrading the PSU now, or will that wattage be fine?

If all you're doing is changing mobo, why would you need more wattage?
Related resources
February 9, 2009 6:38:37 PM

Because a friend of mine said that my PSU is somewhat undersized, so I thought that I might kill two birds with one stone by asking that question.

So about the mobo..?
a c 435 V Motherboard
February 9, 2009 8:21:09 PM

I recommend the corsair 650 watt for $99.99 before $20 rebate. And for motherboards, newegg lists 3 am3 ready motherboards, in case you want to get one of the new 700 or 800 series phenom II am3 cpus in the future. Fry's already has them in stock. Newegg should have them soon.
February 9, 2009 8:44:05 PM

Do you guys think an upgraded PSU is necessary right now? Other than the above components, I run three case fans (2x120, 1x80), a memory card reader, a cd/dvdrw combo drive, then some case LEDs and a cold cathode tube (plus some USB devices like a 5.1 surround, usb mouse/kb, etc.).
February 9, 2009 9:14:06 PM

It may not be worth replacing your PS. I had a similar problem, and replaced a faulty 500w PS with what I had, an old spare 250w one. (On a core duo/8600GT)
Works perfectly, I read somewhere recently the actual wattage used, peak and steady state. Unless you are using high powered gaming rigs, actual wattage is not much more than 125w.
February 10, 2009 4:20:14 AM

Fade2White12 said:
Because a friend of mine said that my PSU is somewhat undersized, so I thought that I might kill two birds with one stone by asking that question.

So about the mobo..?

A good quality 300W would easily run that system.

The only reason to replace the PSU would be to get a better quality one, such as Corsair or Seasonic.
!