Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Noctua NH-D14 updraft config compatibility

Last response: in Overclocking
January 28, 2010 3:51:30 AM

I am building an PC in a few days that I intend to mount the NH-D14 from Noctua in. It will be an p55 board mounted in a full tower, so I have a few questions.

1. On an Asus Maximus III Formula, do I need to worry about the riser card blocking the front fan for an updraft configuration?

2. If I set the NH-D14 in an updraft orientation, will I be able to use Corsair RAM with the additional heatsink fans?

3. Will there be any issue with the rear fan disturbing the airflow of the case? The Cosmos 1000 cools from the bottom up, and I worry that the rear fan might interfere with the airflow.

4. Would adding an PCI slot cooling intake fan below my graphics card allow the CPU more\cooler airflow?

Case: Cosmos 1000

Board: Asus Maximus III Formula

Ram: Corsair Dominator Gt 2x2 Gigs

GC: HD5870

Cooler: NH-D14

Additional info: All 4 fans in the case replaced with Noctua D14 140mm fans.

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
January 28, 2010 4:54:33 AM

Easy answer: Set it up as cross-draft. You don't want to draw hot air off your graphics card into the CPU cooler. Use the rear fan to pull hot air away from the exhaust.
January 28, 2010 11:29:03 AM

The reasons I am setting it up as updraft is because the case has far better updraft capability (2 fans) vs the one in the back. I already am considering an Graphics Card intake, which is mentioned in the OP. I appreciate the Occam's razor however.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 28, 2010 2:04:16 PM

zanraptora said:
The reasons I am setting it up as updraft is because the case has far better updraft capability (2 fans) vs the one in the back. I already am considering an Graphics Card intake, which is mentioned in the OP. I appreciate the Occam's razor however.

Well then think of it this way: The updraft will go across the front of your CPU cooler if you crossdraft the cooler. That is to say, the cool air flowing upward will cross the CPU cooler's intake fan if you set the CPU cooler in a crossdraft configuration. Crossdraft FTW!
m
l
January 28, 2010 2:13:05 PM

If you insist. Now that I changed out the RAM, I can mount it cross draft without worry... so Ill probably try it both ways. Thanks man
m
l
January 28, 2010 2:13:24 PM

Best answer selected by zanraptora.
m
l
!