550BE + GA-MA785GM-US2H

jammer

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Hi there,

I've been trying to unlock my 550BE on a gigabyte 785gm-us2h mobo. I know there are a lot of threads here dealing with the subject, but I kinda have hit a roadblock.
So, my mobo's bios version is f2, and I am uneasy about flashing it unless it is absolutely necessary, which doesn't seems so. (though the f6 version has an interesting add-on called - "CPU Core Control option")
This is what I did -
1. EC Firmware Mode - Hybrid
2. ACC - Auto
Now, when I start the pc I see, Phenom X4 on the starting screen, but when I try to start XP x64 from my OS selector, all I get is a dimmed down image of xp loading screen without the actual loading taking place. On XP x86, I don't even get an image.
I have no idea what this is supposed to mean... Does that mean my extra cores are defective or do I need to increase the vcore and vcpu-nb?
I tried increasing vcore from the bios but I don't know how to do that. Though I tried increasing "CPU Voltage Control" by .500 and "CPU NBVid Control" by .250 but no luck..
Any help?

Thanks!

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

You need to read up on BIOS settings/over clocking.
I will recommend you check out these guides:

Unlocking Phenom II x2 550:
http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/535501-amd-phenom-ii-core-unlocking-guide.html

Over clocking Phenom II guide (Be sure to read some of guides in the guide at the bottom such as: Temperatures:
http://www.overclock.net/amd-general/525113-phenom-ii-overclocking-guide.html

Also please elaborate on what happens with the XP booting.
On your BIOS POST screen it shows 4 processor count. You select Windows XP from your Bootloader menu (if you have multiple Operating systems this is normal), then you see the XP loading screen. What happens after this does the image go black or does the computer reboot?

Try to set the Advanced Clock Calibration (ACC) and EC firmware back to default. Does it boot then? Please list things in chronological order. First thing that happened then next thing that happened. Be sure to write it as basic as possible like "Screen goes black after XP Loading screen", or "XP Loading screen appears".
Before I forget, do you have a non reference heatsink? (3rd party heatsink), if not check Frostytech.com for some good reviews on heat sinks.

I will try to trouble shoot this with you, and hopefully get you running a quad core setup.

jammer

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Thanks for the reply!

Okay, so here is my little story as you asked :
1. Entered BIOS
2. Entered MIT
3. Did the following changes :
EC Firmware Mode - Hybrid
ACC - Auto
4. Save and Exit, the bios now shows "Updating EC Firmware", then it restarts.
5. As the PC was loading up, I saw it detecting my CPU as Phenom X4.
6. I did a happy dance.
7. Entered the OS Selector Screen. There are two options there,
a. XP x64
b. XP x86
8. Entered XP x64. Now how do I describe it. Well, imagine a XP Loading Screen. Now you know it shows some blue dots going from left to right, well, lets make those blue dots disappear. Now take a screenshot of that screen and and lower the contrast. Now I hope you get the picture. Kinda looks like the xp has gone dead.
9. Pressed the reset button. This time entered XP x86 - Black Screen.
10. Note : I didn't get auto-restarts in any case.
11. Tried increasing "CPU Core Voltage" and "CPU NB VID Control". No luck whatsoever. Same thing again.
12. Resetted the BIOS Settings. Now it is all back to normal.

So, here was my little story. I hope it wasn't too boring.
And on the heatsink issue, No I don't think I have a 3rd Party Heatsink installed, it is an AMD heatsink.
Oh and btw, I have a Corsair VX450W PSU

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Okay I would like you to go to your BIOS screen and set ACC tp disabled, and EC firmware to default option. After that remove any over clocking you have done. Save settings and try again. Tell me if it is booting.

Also can you make a components list of what you have?

jammer

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Yeah, it boots that way. (By the way, I have only 1 PC, and this one is it), and I have done no overclocking at all, yet.
Here is my rig :
AMD Phenom X2 550 BE
Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H ( F2 Bios )
2X2 GB Kingston DDR2 800MHz
Corsair VX450w PSU
Radeon HD5750
Cooler Master Cabinet
No extra cooling
Since I am a novice in cooling, all I can say is that I can see 4 fans in the cpu, a. PSU Fan, b. Heatsink, c. Cabinet Fan, d. GPU Fan

Hope it helps

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
This is really weird.

Let's see lets see. Sounds like a defective core/s.

You tried to raise the voltage, and no luck. Try to under clock the processor with the 4 cores unlocked. Do it at 200 mhz increments. I bet that's what it is. Unstable, failing check sums but not enough to BSOD...

jammer

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Okay
Now, I underclocked "CPU Voltage and NBVid Controls". Now I have the Core Voltage dropped from 1.3 to 1.23. Still no luck..
Do you think I should flash bios and see what that "CPU Core Control" option is all about? Maybe only 1 core is defective, if it is.
Should I also try out decreasing Clock Multiplier? Its currently auto but Cpu-z shows it as 15.5
Anyways, thanks for trying to help me out, I really appreciate that.

jammer

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Updates:
1. Tried decreased Vcore(1.2) + decreased Clock Speed(x13.5, gives 2.7 GHz) - Same Bad Result
2. Tried increased Vcore(1.4) + increased Clock Speed(x18.5, gives 3.7 GHz) - Same old
I am kind of losing hope now. What I want to know now, if that I flash my bios to F6, will the core unlock option afffected? Because I have heard rumours of Gigabyte giving in to AMD's request of blocking that option...

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

A lot of motherboard manufacturers have indeed removed ACC from their BIOS. A couple of them have however implemented ACC again. I wouldnt recommend flashing the bios, as it will most likely loose your ACC option.

jammer

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
so, is there anything left that I can do besides from trying to flash my bios? I think if I really can't do anything with the ACC, it would not hurt much to flash the new bios and see if I get lucky or not, isn't it?
secondly, would it be worth it to unlock a tri-core vs a dual core? since, seemingly atleast 1 of the cores is defective, but for gaming and encoding purposes?
By the way, on an similar but unrelated topic, I think I have messed up my voltages, it shows 1.41 vcore(initially it was 1.325) in cpu-z even when I have set it to normal in bios. Though the only thing I have changed is that I have raised my clock multiplier to x17.5 from x15.5. Should I try to decrease the voltages, or should I declock it? (it also shows "CPU Voltage Optimized" in the BIOS, it never used to show that before, strange)
I'm sorry if I am asking too many questions, but I am new at this and could do with some help :)
Thanks!

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

1. Unlocking any additional cores on the dual core would indeed be worth it. You can try to unlock 3 cores vs 1, and see how that goes.
2. Make sure you havent given extra voltage through the "overvoltage setting". Or perhaps "CPU Voltage optimized".
3. You don't need to de-clock it (aka Under clock) the processor. Review all the settings having to do with ram apart from the Vcore Voltage. Make sure you are not adding additional voltage to the CPU.

bensonj7

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
As I'm a true noob at this oc stuff not sure if this will help you much but I have just unlocked and oc a B550 and Gigabyte board... not your board but I believe it will work with yours...plus I have Win 7 so may none of it help you either :??:

Highly recommend to update your bios!. Gigabyte has a new bios F7 that is available for your board...

gigabytembbios.jpg

I would first UNDO anything you have done in you bios by entering the bios and selecting: "LOAD OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS" setting, save and exit and REBOOT your system with no other changes! This will ensure starting from correct point for the following suggestions.

after REBOOT, and from Windows, just use the @Bios program that should have loaded with your mb disk and let it do its thing after you select: "Upload Bios from Gigabyte Server"

atbiosscreen.jpg

after it loads and your system is running again I would do the following:

1. Reboot, and I like to do a cold boot
2. Enter the bios and again "LOAD OPTIMIZED FEFAULTS"
3. Enter the ACC menu
4: Select HYBIRD and AUTO
5: Save and EXIT bios

NOTE this pic is with bios set for MY everyday OC

currentf7bios.png

Good luck and hopefully this will aid you and possibly cure your Windows problems also

jammer

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Thanks for the reply bensonj7, now I know that F7 works :)

Now, I have flashed my BIOS to F7, and still haven't gotten it yet, but I may add a few interesting things:

1. Enabled ACC and Changed EC Firmware to Hybrid. - No Results.

Note: There is one change though, XP x32 now gives me a loading screen without blue dots.

2. Disabled Core 3 and left Core 2 Enabled - Same results as above.
3. Disabled Core 2 and left Core 3 Enabled - Same results as above.

This made me assume that both cores must be defective. But...
4. Disabled ALL Cores - STILL same results as above.

Now that really makes me wonder, how come if all the extra cores are disabled, it is still not loading XP?
Is it something else? And yeah, I did increase Vcore and VCPU-NBVid in both cases.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
What GPU do you have? If it's integrated that could be failing or something. I know XP is sometimes disturbed by overclocks but this should not be happening as often as it has.

I would recommend reading this here and following the checklist. I don't think this is a processor problem it sounds like your motherboard, gpu (integrated or dedicated), or ram.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems

jammer

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I have Ati Radeon HD5750. I don't have any idea what the problem is about. Why would any component fail after changing the Settings to Hybrid and Auto and even then disabling the extra cores?
And I also ran Prime95 for 9+ hours, shouldn't that mean that the components are all right?

One thing strange - I tried booting through safe mode and it gets stuck at some file called "AcpiTabL.dat", a little googling shows many people suffering from the same problem on XP x64! I am gonna try to solve it and maybe try out ubuntu live disk and see what happens.

bensonj7

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Quick question, when you change from Hybird to Normal, or vice versa, are you getting the red screen about updating firmware?

I do like your idea of booting to a differnt OS, have to believe something is happening there for you not to be even able to boot with cores disabled...

Is booting to a Win "Startup" disk an option? You could change boot order in Advanced Bios Features so you read the CD drive first, throw your Win install disk in there and see if it will bootup....

jammer

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010

Yeah, I do get a red screen about updating firmware, and warning me not to power off or restart.
Well, here is the result of my endeavors:

1. Tried Ubuntu Live CD - Got a black screen with a blinking cursor on the top left corner. Strangely enough, I had seen this happening a while ago on a different rig, so can't really tell if there is something going on here.

2. Tried Windows XP disk, it got stuck at "Starting Windows"

3. Tried to find solutions to "acpitabl.dat", I got a list of possible solutions, here they are :
a. Enable ACPI in BIOS - Couldn't find it anywhere in my BIOS
b. Remove USB from Boot Priorities - Did, No effect
c. Run Chkdsk /r - Couldn't, since XP disk got stuck at "Starting Windows"
d. Upgraded my Windows XP x64 to SP2 - Same old

4. Tried older version of Ubuntu(7.10) - It gets to the loading screen but gets stuck some time later while in the loading screen.

Now, I really don't have any idea what to do

bensonj7

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
getting way over my head here... :) so please keep that in mind before proceding

ACPI has to do with power control to hard drives and such... possibly you need to get the MB disk or maybe your Hard Drive had some disks to load some drivers before attempting to load windows...or Ubuntu... What hard drive or drives and setup do you have?

First thing I'd try, and this is while running windows with your cores disabled, your PRE TWEAKING setup that is, try making a bootable disk of your XP setup..

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwindowssetupdisk.shtml

and then see if you can change ACC up and load from that startup disk.

While you can still get into windows it might be a good idea to save a copy of your bios, a copy that lets you load and run in windows. Take a piece of paper and your favorite writing implement. Go through the BIOS setup screens, ALL OF THEM, and record the settings and what their values are. It sounds tedious, but it is simple, foolproof :eek: , and while it takes a while to do the first time, this is something you can be sure you can revert to if things go wrong. When you change your BIOS settings, you just change what is written on the piece of paper as well. Then start checking out the settings under hard drives in advanced settings - while having something to fall back onto if you screw something up.

couple of quick articles to look at

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-126363.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/255550-30-disable-acpi-gigabyte-ep45-ud3p

jtgill

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I'm having issues with the same setup....after getting my new mobo and 550be I set everything up and when changing the acc control it showed my processor as an X50 but wouldn't boot, but I had to change my windows setup anyway so I assumed I was not booting bwcause of the windows drivers. Finally got into safe mode and removed my old movo drivers and then the machine would boot fine. My board came with the f5 bios, so I flashed it to F7. When I changed to lhybridl 'auto' it took a while to post, and when it did the acc was still hybrid, but disabled, and the core control options had vanished. So...I flashed to F2 and tried to unlock with no success. Reflashed to F7 set to hybrid/auto, on post showed as X50 processor, booted into windows fine, but only showed two cores. Here's where it gets a bit odd....I had run the amd overdrive benchmarks just to have a point of reference, at 3.1 it averaged something like 7600 over 30 iterations of the test, and oc'ed to 3.4 it averaged like 8100, BUT with the cpu showing as an X50 at 3.1 it averaged over 11000. Then in cmos I saw that while I had set it to hybrid/auto, now the core control options were there, and core 0,1 were enabled, and core 2,3 were disabled. I tried enabling them, and after saving to cmos, the machine took longer than usual to post, the acc options were back to hybrid/disabled and the core comtrol options were gone again and can't get them back. I will probably try to reflash back to F2 and then back toF7 to see if I can get those optioms back to have the core control and trt to unlock just one core, but wondered if anyone else had seen this sort of odd behaviour. I mostly play WoW, so the extra cores aren't that big a deal as far as my usual computing goes, but I do enjoy the technical challenge of figuiring something like this out. Thanks for any input.

tody

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
After reading all of these posts about unlocking the 550. I come to the conclusion that you cannot unlock it with 64bit OS. I don't have a problem with 32bit but having the same issues like everybody else with 64bit.

bensonj7

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009

Just speaking from personal experiance, I'm running Win 7 64 bit and had no problem whatsoever unlocking. :D I also know several others you will see on the forums running W7/64

I would think going with a fresh install of whatever OS you are using would be the safest way to unlock. My thoughts being that OS will sense hardware and load apropriate drivers and such.Most likely your current setup would have em and load em, but if problems are occuring, I'd be try the fresh install route...

I'm also of a thought that the op on this thread, jammer, may of needed some drivers from his HARD DRIVE setup disk to get everything in working order, but have not heard back from him in awhile....

Also keep in mind, you were purchasing a X2 chip, you might of gotten what you paid for no matter the odds, and I think it's like 7 out of 10 to unlock and run stable...

tody

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Let me take my statement back, now that I see some people have success with 64bit. I unlocked to four cores in 32bit and did some benchmark test. But I would like to use 64bit for all of my 6gb rams. Even fresh install of 64 didn't work. I am not giving up yet as I have 10 days to play with these.

bensonj7

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009

Heck yeah! thats the spirit!. Sounds like you have a real bugaboo of a problem tho. Try starting a thread that some of the pros like OvrClkr or videl might see and be able to help you get it up and running in 64 bit. Maybe try a title like "X2 only unlocks in 32 bit, not 64 bit", or some such, the real pros at this stuff will be able to get you going if it is possible.

Best of luck to you and keep plugging away!