Big Problem #1- Viewing in Alphabetical Order

Adobewells

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Using Vista & Open Office. Have a file called RECIPES with about a dozen folders in it such as BEEF, PORK, VEGGIES, DESSERTS, etc. My problem is.....inside those individual folders some of the actual files are in alphabetical order and many are not. When I add a new one it just is added to the TOP of the list.....HOW DO I ALPHABETIZE THEM ALL....as in LIST ??? What specific settings should I use in the "organize" category ? I can do each one "by hand" but then when I reopen the specific folder they have jumped back to the MIXED UP ORDER. Thanks so very much....I have over 5000 recipes so this is a major frustration.

Solution
Odd that those top 3 don't go where they should, they are Files and not Folders right? Try to rename them with A in front of the name and see if they get sorted properly. Then rename them back, and try to sort again.

Adobewells

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011

CRAP !! Tried BOTH your suggestions and the MAJORITY of them are fine....just as they should be, but the files start out :
Fantastic Honey Chicken
Quick & Crunchy
Roasted Chicken with Tomatoes
15 minute Italian, and THEN they go to the proper alphabetical order and everything is perfect.

It is those first few that won't organize themselves properly and if I do them manually the next time I open that folder they're right back at the top of the list.

I REALLY, REALLY do appreciate your help. I even thought possibly it was mixing Open Office Documents & Word docs but that doesn't seem to matter.

Bit confused here, so you arrange the files by name, they do. But next time you open the folder they are back in another order? What View do you have them in? Select the Details View, are they being arranged by size?

Any numbers or special characters will come before letters when sorting.

"15" will be before "A", and "-F" will be before "A" as well.

Also note that FILES and FOLDERS get organized differently if you have a Folder called A and a file called A with a bunch of other files and folders, the FOLDER A will be at the top of the sort, but the FILE A will be after the last Folder list.

Adobewells

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011

Lemme absorb this in about an hour.....working on dinner at the moment, but I appreciate your patience. Thx....BBS

Adobewells

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Wanted to do a screen capture to SHOW you, but can't paste it here.
On the tree, the MAIN FOLDER IS "RECIPES MASTER COPY", then, inside that folder I have numerous other folders such as, APPETIZERS, CHICKEN, DESSERTS, VEGETABLES, etc.

When I open one of those SPECIFIC FOLDERS, the various files (506 files in CHICKEN) are MOSTLY SORTED AS THEY SHOULD BE but there are about three at the top of the list that won't sort properly. I understand what you mean about numbers and/or characters, etc., and the numbers are where they should be. BUT, before the numbers begin there are THREE files that will NOT organize as they should. Here is what the files look like and the order they are in:

Fantastic Honey Chicken
Quick & Crunchy Chicken Crescents
Roasted Chicken with Tomatoes and Olives
15 Minute Italian Chicken and Rice
15-Minute Marinated Chicken
Adobe Roast Chicken
Aimee's Quick Chicken
Almond Fried Chicken, and so on down the line in PERFECT ALPHABETICAL ORDER.....it is those top THREE that will not
merge with the others in their proper order.

When I do as you said and right click anywhere in the folder background I do NOT have the OPTION to select ARRANGE. When I click on VIEW, then I have LIST selected with the little radio button. Then I go down the list and select SORT BY and NAME and ASCENDING are both selected with radio buttons.

If you've had enough I understand.....it has driven me crazy for months. Just send up the white surrender flag and I'll understand. Thanks again, so very much.

Adobewells

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
I am sooooooooooo embarassed that I didn't catch this myself after all these months !! When you suggested I put an "A" in front of those three, I did and they lined up perfectly with the remainder of the A's. Then, when I removed the A's they, right before my eyes, INSTANTLY went to their proper place in alphabetical order. NOW, I know you're holding your breath waiting to hear my confession as to what was causing it.......ready ??? When I then removed the A's I noticed there was a SPACE in front of those THREE, so naturally, with that BLANK SPACE they would always be at the top of the list !! I am soooooooo, very sorry for the problems I have caused you. Thanks so much for ALL your help....I do appreciate it, more than you know.
Marilyn

No problems for me, glad you got your answer. You can get spaces in file names easily. if you copy and paste from a page and happen to select the space before or after the words.

Adobewells

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
That's exactly what I do with so many of those recipes; copy and paste their names.....whew....OH WHAT A RELIEF IT IS !! If I run into further difficulties I might knock on your door again....psssssst, if you're SMART you won't answer, huh ??