Maxtor one touch 500 gig hard drive, no power, not working.

krissy_87

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
My maxtor one touch hard drive 500GB stoped working while i was using it. i was listening to music off it and it just stopped working. No warning signs or anything. ive tried plugging it in to the USB ports i have working on my computer as my mouse and key board is plugged into them and they work fine.
I wouldn’t even say it’s a year old yet.
The light isn’t even coming on, and is not being recognised by the computer, there is no sign of it working at all, no fan noise anything.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

First, you have to remove the serial number label at the bottom of the case. Be extremely careful not to break the label (there is one large rectangle label and one tiny round label which has crosscuts which break if you remove it). If you use a razor blade, and take your sweet time, you can get it off. You want to do this if you want to preserve your warranty.

Second, remove the bottom screw.

Third, the tough part, is to remove both halves of the case. I had no idea how it was assembled so I just pulled hard, putting some pressure with my fingers on the sides of the case. The case came apart with slight difficulty but I did not break any of the tabs. There are 3 tabs on each side (except the bottom which has 1 tab) holding the case together. Really, it is a hit and miss to try to pry the case apart. I think the best way is to pull with even force with your hands and pray that the tabs stay intact.

Next, with the case apart, you can remove the inner mechanism and drive. Unscrew the the rubber shock absorbers. There, you can remove the 2 bottom screws that are close together that hold the side plate which the One Touch button is located. Just slide out the metal plate and you can then work all around removing the remaining screws and plates.

krissy_87

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

will attempt this today. after it do i just put the hard drive in to my computer?

krissy_87

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
ok so i have finally got the thing apart was having trouble.
is there anything i have to do to ensure my computer doesnt crash? do i have to download soft ware or anything to protect my computer or to install the 2nd hard drive?

krissy_87

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
also i want to keep all my systems opp on the hard drive i have in the computer already, do i need to do anything for the hard drive to be installed and not loose everything on the hard drive (maxtor one touch), just worried that ill loose all my stuff on the hard drive.

Once you remove the drive, hook it up as a regular data drive.
It could be either PATA or SATA drive.
PATA will have 40 data pins. You will need to set the jumper appropriately, probably as a slave if you have another device on the ribbon cable. Also hook up the power a molex connection.
For SATA, you just have to hook up power and a data cable.

You don't need any software. You won't lose anything. It will just show as a new drive on your computer.

krissy_87

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Awesome thank you so much for your help. your a champ. Lets just hope that this is the problem with the hard drive & it works as an internal and the whole hard drive isn’t stuffed. It says it’s a SATA, and I do have an other hard drive plugged in to my comp, the one that came with it, only a crappy 80 gig. Really looking forward to having this up and running. Thank you again.

krissy_87

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
i took apart my computer. there is not cables that fit in to the hard drive. the one that comes off the hard drive that i have in there has a split thing coming off it but it goes to my cd-rom. what should i do? do i have to buy more cables? or is there another way around this. i just want to know the hard drive works before i go waisting money on cables.

krissy_87

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
my hard drive thats already in there and the cd rom are PATA, but the maxtor one touch isnt, its a SATA, the only reason i know that is cause it says it on the side of the maxtor one touch hard drive.