Not enough power?

acrazyhobo

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
I recently bought a new graphics card to go along with the other new parts I had just bought, and everything was working fine for about a week until my GPU decided to pretty much not want to work at all. I opened up the bio's to make sure it was receiving enough power, and surely enough it only said 11.77V when it needs 12v. I have 2 500W Antec PSU's that fit well in my Antec P190 case, however I tried all four of the different PCI-E 6-Pin power connectors and none of them seemed to do the trick, in fact it actually went down to 11.77V when before it had 11.90V but still caused the problems (texture artifacting and games crashing).

I am really not sure how I can allocate more juice to my graphics card (EVGA Nvidia 9800GTX +) when I thought that having a kilowatt would be enough.

Thanks

- acrazyhobo

acrazyhobo

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
Than I'm not really too sure what is, I know heating isn't, at least so says speed fan, everything is about 30C, sometimes the processor gets a little more under load but that still remains fine. Anyway to tell what is my problem though?

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Like cjl said,you are within spec on your voltage.But you may not have enough amps on your 12 volt line. It take 26 amps to power this card 28 in sli.They also list 450 minimum.Which could not be enough depending on how many things are taxing your power supply(ie... drives,fans,lights,coffeemaker,hairdryer...ect.LOL)

acrazyhobo

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
Ah but I have 2 500W power supplies, one that powers all the fans, harddrives, cd-drive, and the other one powers just the mobo and the graphics card

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
With my limited knowledge of pci-e I would try a differant Nvidia driver,the latest greatest isn't always the best.If that doesn't help you might try upping the voltage on your pci slot in the bio. Go easy though you don't want to fry your card,just incase (god 4 bid) you have to rma it. I upped the volts on my 9800 GT from 25watts default to 38 before it crashed so B carefull Good luck

acrazyhobo

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
Thanks UncleFester, I reinstalled the older drivers that came on the CD with the card and it seems to be working fine, ran Fallout 3 for about 5 hours without a problem so I think everything is fine

Thanks all