Upgrading Dell E510 Video Card

artesian79

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
I've been looking at "The Best Graphics Cards for the Money: October 2008" and have a question. I would assume that the system's CPU can be a limiting factor in graphics performance. I don't want to buy a card that the system can't make complete use of - why spend $150 if a $60 card would be just as good? (Too bad I couldn't find the $35 card just to try!)

I'm looking to upgrade a Dell E510 for someone who does some gaming. He currently has:

Dell E510 1.5 GBB RAM
RADEON X600 256MB
Dell 1707FPC LCD

I'll bump te RAM to 3GB as RAM is so low now a days.

What video card/GPU/chipset would be good on this system? I don't want throw money at the PSU.

Thanks!

Hi,
I would say that the HD4670 would eb the GPU for you. Its cheap and powerfull enough without being over the top. It may get slightly restricted by your CPU but i think this is your system ? http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Dell-Dell-Dimension-E510-Desktop-Computer-Pentium-D-940-3-20GHz-160GB-1GB

If so then if it does prove to be causing too much of an issue. It really shouldnt but if it does then the 775 socket can take a cheap Core2 which will easilly feed it and improve the whole system.
Ideally i would upgrade the CPU as well anyway but its up to you.

mactronix

artesian79

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
Thanks and yes that is the system. I went looking for cards locally and can't find any that list a PSU as low as this system has so I guess I need to start looking for one but hate to sink that money into it.

TRENDING THREADS