Has anyone had experiences with Antec P180 and PC P&C S75CF?

mpd2142005

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Hey guys,
I found a pretty good deal on the Antec P180 Mid Tower online and I am finding it pretty difficult to turn away from it. It's a very roomy case, looks very sturdy, and it's an Antec. The only downsides that I've heard of are the front door's weak composition and that, what I'm most concerned about, it's designed so that the power supply is situated on the bottom of the tower.

I'm going to use a PC Power and Cooling S75CF 750W ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341011&Tpk=pc%20s75cf ) and I was hoping that someone else had used this combo at one point or another. I'm also using a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard, a Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 video card, a Xigmatek 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler, and G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) for memory just in case I needed to specify the space that some of my hardware will be taking up.

I've fished around Google and haven't been able to find exact lengths for the PSU cables but from the reviews have heard that the cables are "long"; can anyone attest to this?

Thanks,
Mike

I have that PSU in a Silverstone TJ-09. That's even bigger than the P180, it's a full tower, and the PSU is at the bottom too.

Edit: found this at newegg:

Pros: Reviewed by Anandtech.com as being the BEST powersupply of 2007. Winning the Gold Editors choice award over every other PSU they have used/tested during the whole year. great 17 page reveiw on that site aswell.

Cons: At least one of or each (Molex/SATA) the cables could have been 6" longer to reach the highest places in my P180B. An extender will fix this on the cheap or you could try to extend the cable yourself if you know what you are doing!

Each wire is thicker then a normal PSU wire so if you are trying to hide the cables it could be a challenge. I do not see the thicker gauge wire as being a con at all. Safety first ;)

Generally speaking cables on high end psu's are longer than cables on budget cpu's. I've never seen psu specifications that show cable length either.

There have been some problems reported with bottom mounted cpu's and short cables. It just depends on the height of the case, the location of the 4/8 pin power connection on the motherboard, and the cable's length. It mostly happens to individuals with full tower cases who want to run the 4/8 pin power cable up behind the motherboard in order to hide the cable and improve air flow. Eight inch extension cables are available for a few dollars from online vendors.

mpd2142005

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Ok, thanks for those responses guys...I'm glad that my PSU is of good quality and I will hopefully have purchased it at a final total of $69.99 if I end up receiving the elusive mail-in-rebate.

I have one more question due to my being a total beginner. I have no idea where to look for these extension cables. The only cables I could find on NewEgg were converters. Should I be looking for 4-pin power extension cables? I ran across this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189062 and didn't know how it would affect my power input; that's the closest I could find to an extension. It's only a couple bucks so I figured that if worse came to worst, I'd just toss that in with my second big order to build my system.

jerrardo

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
I have the P182 with an Antec Earthwatts power supply. If I mount the power supply upside down then that puts the cable closers to the motherboard side of the case and I can run the wire up the back of the motherboard tray to connect the 4-pin 12 volt power cable. My other power supply has the big 120mm fan on the top and I can't flip it, but you should be ok with your P&C.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I have installed two Silencer 610s in Antec 182 cases. The PSU is the same form factor as the Silencer 750 that you have. Remove the bottom center case fan to install the PSU. Also, if you want to put it back, you should pick up a cheap fan guard like this one to make sure the cables don't hit the blades, it's tight. The 24 pin and upper drive cables are long enough and can be hidden behind the mobo tray. The 4/8 pin ATX12V is short and needs to be plugged into the mobo directly, I brought that one and the PCIEs through the opening between the PSU and mobo compartments. If your super tidy you can get a ATX12V extender.

mpd2142005

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Thank you so much guys, I really appreciate all of this help. This is a fantastic community and I am glad that I stumbled upon it. I will tell of my adventures once I build this guy next Monday (have to move back into school).