Sign in with
Your question

New Gaming memory for my old P5W DH Deluxe

Last response: in Memory
February 9, 2009 8:09:31 PM

Thank You Tom's Hardware forumers for taking the time to read this.

I have been researching for the best gaming memory for my specific needs for almost two weeks now. I simply want to upgrade this already OC'eable memory G. Skill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ x4 = 4GB, to x4 new Sticks that = 8GB

Specifics
MoBo = P5W DH Deluxe

I apologize for not finding the right memory for myself. The difference when I got my original memory was the clarity of it being the best at the time of purchase from my research. Now however, all my research only gives me general options but nothing truly outstanding for x4 8GB. If at all possible, to have OC'eable memory that easily overclocks from 800 - 1066 MHz low timings and more (like my old memory with the difference of memory size).

I hope I was clear enough.
February 9, 2009 8:48:10 PM

Quote:
Are you buying 2 additional modules or 4 new modules?

"x4 new Sticks that = 8GB"

I don't know of any better memory then what I have, I am sure there is something, but I don't know as of yet what was better then the D9 micron chips (Short life span, but so what. Lifetime Warrantee = GG). Problem is; my specific memory only caps at 4Mb's with x4 sticks. [Changing my motherboard is not something I want to do.]

So I am looking for memory that caps at 8Gb's, with x4 sticks.
Related resources
February 9, 2009 9:11:28 PM

GhislainG said:
PI Black is better because it only requires 1.8-1.9V at the same latency

That is actually the one and only memory I had saved to my wish lists. I didn't bother to buy, because I cannot find if it is as OC'eable as I want. Will it OC to 1066 with low timing and be stable?
February 9, 2009 9:52:11 PM

good lord i really hope you mean 8 GB not 8 MB.

Anyways for gaming you will see almost no difference for more then 4 gigs of ram, and the tighter timings will give you almost non tangible performance gains. If you are looking to get smoother gameplay you should save up that money for a new GPU, it will take you a lot farther then the memory will.
a c 81 } Memory
a b 4 Gaming
February 9, 2009 10:27:45 PM

BnetGhost said:
That is actually the one and only memory I had saved to my wish lists. I didn't bother to buy, because I cannot find if it is as OC'eable as I want. Will it OC to 1066 with low timing and be stable?

Why does it have to be overclocked? Do the ones that you have overclock to 1066 at 4-4-4-12 or 5-5-5-15 timings? 4-4-4-12 timings at 800 Mhz is as fast as 5-5-5-15 at 1066 Mhz. Unless you run benchmarks, you'll never be able to tell the difference.
February 9, 2009 10:29:25 PM

kyeana said:
good lord i really hope you mean 8 GB not 8 MB.

You know. I kept reading and reading over my posts, and couldn't figure out what seemed wrong. Lol, yes thank you. I do mean 8GB.

Quote:
Anyways for gaming you will see almost no difference for more then 4 gigs of ram, and the tighter timings will give you almost non tangible performance gains. If you are looking to get smoother gameplay you should save up that money for a new GPU, it will take you a lot farther then the memory will.

I actually have 2x SAPPHIRE HD 3870 in CrossFire.

My purpose if one must know is to run Windows 7 to it's full Capacity. I do plan on buying it when the retail releases, I am planing ahead, but building now. :p 
February 9, 2009 10:35:17 PM

GhislainG said:
Why does it have to be overclocked? Do the ones that you have overclock to 1066 at 4-4-4-12 or 5-5-5-15 timings? 4-4-4-12 timings at 800 Mhz is as fast as 5-5-5-15 at 1066 Mhz. Unless you run benchmarks, you'll never be able to tell the difference.

Good Question. They do in fact overclock to 5-5-5-15 1066 Mhz easily. However, Vista 64 which I have can use the 4 GB to a great capacity, but Windows 7 that I am testing in Beta needs 6 GB to run its full capacity.

Which is why I am looking for (2 x 2GB) X2 or 4 x 2GB, for a maximum of 8GB.
a c 81 } Memory
a b 4 Gaming
February 9, 2009 10:42:13 PM

You gain nothing when overclocking if you have to lower the timings. The PI Black at 4-4-4-12 are as fast at 800 Mhz and 1.8V (and they stay cooler). I tested them in my P5W DH Deluxe and they ran fine.
February 10, 2009 6:23:31 AM

Quote:
"PI Black is better because it only requires 1.8-1.9V at the same latency"

"That is actually the one and only memory I had saved to my wish lists. I didn't bother to buy, because I cannot find if it is as OC'eable as I want. Will it OC to 1066 with low timing and be stable?"

Ok, I was able to verify that this PI Black Memory is OC'eable to 1066Mhz at 5-5-4-12 at 2.2v stable and no noticeable heat.

Again, Thank You Tom's Hardware forumers for taking the time to read and help me on this topic.

This Post can go as Solved or Closed. :wahoo: 
!