To take or not to take ?

Dementor

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
Hello people

I have 3 years old PC. The confg. is

CPU: P4 3.0 @3.15 (with HT technologie, I dont know what does it mean, but it has 2 cores (WTF ?), acording to Task manager.
MBO: Asus P5 GD1 Pro
RAM: 2 GiB of DDR (400 MHz)
GPU: GF 7600 GT (i bought it 1 years ago)
PSU: unnamed 400W

Iwas planning to buy new computer by the end of this year (2009) and that a long period, so I was wondering should I buy a GPU ? I was thinking about 3850 or 3870 or even 4850... Is it a good idea or should I save money and wait for new computer ? And, do I need more powerfull PSU for those GPUs ?

Thanks

Regards

G

I think a 4850 would be overkill. If you're planning to upgrade at all I'd suggest upgrading your CPU and Mobo too.

So keep that config and save for a better rig later on. You wont regret it.

einstein4pres

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Without knowing specs/brand on the unnamed 400W PSU, it is impossible to assure safety. Thus, I can only suggest swapping it out in general, and certainly before adding any parts of value.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Do you need the graphics card now? If not I would just wait and do the whole system at once. For one, you'll have a better idea of the PSU and remove that limitation... plus if you don't "need" it you might as well wait. You didn't mention the resolution youa re running.... thats pretty much a determining factor in whether in any performance increase.

Don't get more RAM... its not worth it IMHO, unless of course you can verify you are paging a lot.

Your P4 "has" 2 cores due to hyper threading.

Dementor

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
thanks for replys

the resolution I preffer is 1280x1024 (17" CRT)

this computer will go to my younger brother and I let him upgrades...

And when is the best time to buy new one ?

Holiday 2009, when new Windows is out ?

PS: thanks for explanation of hyper threading :D