PC won't boot after shutdown

gslbk

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Although searching around, i have found problems similar to mine, but not quite the same.

My pc will restart absolutely fine but will not post after shutdown.

I have:
Abit AW9D-MAX mobo
Intel e6600 dual core
2x1gig Buffalo Firestix ram
OCZ GameXStream 700W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
2 seagate barracuda 320 gig hd in raid 0
Windows XP sp2
ATI x1950xt

Let me start off by saying this is actually the second time i have had this problem. The first time happened almost exactly a year after assembling my computer. For a year, the pc starts, shutsdown, restarts, everything fine. Then one day i shut down my pc, and when i attempt to turn in back on it gives me nothing. No beeps, no post, just fans power up, hdd power up, lights turn on, but no post. After using the power button to turn it off, then back on, it posts like normal. I really think nothing of it. Later, after shutting it down, tryin to restart it turns into a pain. Now it gives me beeps that its not passing the ram mem tests. So i take out a stick of ram, and it posts fine. I dont shut the pc off again until i get my new ram stick.

Believing the ram is the problem, i rma it (buffalo gives lifetime warrantys on the ram) and get my new 1 gig stick, plug it in, and once again, i get the nothingness. Just fans spinning and lights on. Use the power button to shut it down, and turn it back on, and now the beeps are back. So i take out the new stick that i just recieved, thinking "did they just send me a dead stick" and hit the power button on. Now i get beeps again, with the same stick of ram that was in before when it posted. I switch the sticks around putting 'stick a' into 'slot 2' instead of slot 1 and it posts. Now i think my mobo has some fried ram slots. I call buffalo and ask them what they think, and she says they tested my rma'd ram stick and there was nothing wrong.

(just to mention, during the time, i had tested my mobo with ram from another comp, and it was infact working, it would post, with 2 sticks in.)

So i buy a new mobo, of the same model, and a new psu, on the recommendation that the one i had was sending out power "ripples" slowly frying my comp.

Now, almost exactly one year after this problem, with 2 new sticks of ram (same model), a new psu (i changed from a mushkin 500w to the above-mentioned OCZ 700w), and a new mobo (same model), the EXACT problem is back.

I dont have the money to just buy the new parts, and i need teh comp for school, so suffice to say, i have not shutdown my comp for about a month now, for the fear that i know i wont be able to boot it back up. I have removed the one stick of ram, and am running on just 1gig for the time.

If anyone has heard of anything like this, any possible fixes, i just baffled. Did my mobo really fry twice exactly after the warranty is up lol?
Any help is appreciated, and any more info needed ill be sure to post.

thanks,
gs

Mondoman

Splendid
I don't think your PS was the problem, but the MB could very well have died -- there's a reason that Abit is no longer in the motherboard business.
However, start with some basics:
1) Is the BIOS up-to-date with the most recent BIOS update? You can check at the legacy Abit "global" site http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/index.php
2) Download and burn the freely available memtest86+ bootable CD image. Boot your system from that CD and let memtest86+ run overnight to make sure there are no errors.

gslbk

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Ill give both a try, but just curious: Why would after a year of near flawless functioning would the pc just stop being able to post after shutdown, and how would updating the bios fix the problem?

Not trying to sound as if i am saying that its not a possible solution, i am not at all, just curious.

Mondoman

Splendid
The BIOS fix is unlikely, but it's free and easy, and has been known to fix mysterious restart/reboot issues in the past. I think it's more likely that your MB is dying, but I don't have a fix for that :)

Akpobome Diakporu

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
I'm having the POST problem with my dell vostro 1540. After any shut down, the system wont start just fan spinning, sometime, it gives the 7 beeps.but if given like a week, it will be able to POST and boot up. It's just a year old and now this. Can anyone help- would really appreciate.