Problems with second video card for multi-monitor.

JuiceJones

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
One of my computers has Vista 32-bit and a 9600GSO on an MSI P965 Platinum. I just added an 8600GS in the second PCI-Express slot, and at first it booted fine until Vista auto-installed drivers (despite me having this disabled) and the screen went black.

It displayed fine in safe mode where I uninstalled all Nvidia drivers and booted back normally. The main display through the 9600GSO displays fine with no drivers installed, but whenever I install the Nvidia drivers, it displays up to the Vista loading bar and then goes black.

Currently, I have to disable the 8600GS in safe mode in order to load Windows normally, but the second I enable the 8600GS, it goes black again and I have to boot back into safe mode.

I don't understand why this is happening, the 9600 and 8600 both use the same driver, is it possible the 8600GS is damaged?

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

They use difference drivers. The driver package includes many small drivers, it auto detects what card is installed, and choose the specific driver from the large package accordingly.

If it's only 2 monitors, why not just run both off 9600gso? It'd be easier. The 8600gs won't add much horsepower anyway.

JuiceJones

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
I actually put it into there to fold on (Folding @ Home). I just said "for multi-monitor" since setting it up is the same, and that's a more common application.

But still, should they not be able to coexist? I know people use 8800s for gaming and lesser 8 series for 3+ monitors. Despite the 9 series just being rebadged 8 series, did they change something in the drivers that makes Vista's crappo one video driver limitation apply to mixing 9s and 8s?

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

They should be able to coexist. On driver install, the driver package should detect all cards and install all appropriate drivers.

Are you using the latest driver package? Try this.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/GeForce-Forceware-180.43-Vista-32-bit-download-2108.html

JuiceJones

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
I was using these in my gaming rig for the Far Cry 2 optimizations, but didn't think they would be pertinent over the WHQL release for this use. At least they changed the situation. Instead of just blackness, Device Manager no longer reports it as an 8600GS, but instead "Standard VGA Device" with the little yellow sign and error code 10: Device cannot start.

I'll Google around, and tomorrow will test the card in a different box to make sure there's nothing wrong with it. Until then, anymore suggestions would be appreciated.